Ruger SR1911 10mm

Eric

• Administrators

Does anyone have any experience with Ruger 1911 pistols in general, or with their 10mm 1911 Model 6739 specifically? I am curious about it. I wouldn't mind trying a 10mm 1911 and I've never handled a Ruger 1911. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks.

SR1911-10mm-auto_2.thumb.jpg.18feb29b44e85890ea2afbcaf4f39556.jpg

• Like 1

I had a thread going a while ago about what gun I should buy for $1000, and the Ruger 10mm was mentioned a time or two.

When I finally found myself at my local brick and mortar, I was ultimately presented with three guns: A Ruger 10mm, a Springfield Armory stainless Range Officer, and a Kimber.....something........

The Ruger was quite nice, and I was leaning that way for a while, and the guy behind the counter said something that changed my mind. (It's funny how the small things affect us, eh?)  He, very innocently said, "She's not a cheap date.", referencing the expense of the ammo off the shelf, as well as the added expense of reloading for a gun platform that's expected to perform, at very best, 50 yards.

So, in that moment, I picked up the Range Officer.  The 10mm would have been a kick, (literally) but I reload, and shoot at my own range, so the net gain was a negative zero.

That's my story, anyway.......

SR1911CMD purchased a couple years ago, 525+tax.

shoots as well as any 1911 i have ever owned, including pistols that cost 3X's as much.

love 10mm, reload for my G20 and G29.

the Ruger 10mm may be next on my list.

the only other pistols i am considering are the gen5 G19, and the rumored XD 10mm, not yet marketed.

Ammo expense isn't that bad if you reload. 

I have followed the print rags on the Ruger 1911's since they came out. Truthfully, I have always viewed Ruger as a second rate gun maker. Any Ruger I have ever had in the past, has left me wanting. Guns that were either super reliable that you couldn't hit **** with, or guns that couldn't make it through a magazine without a failure. The thing is though, is that their 1911's are capable guns.

One G&A rag on 1911's had a .45 Ruger Commander that could print 1.5" groups at 25 yards. That would be roughly 3" at 50. In the same magazine there was a gun that cost twice as much, yet when I figured the 50 yard accuracy, it was something like 18" with ball. 

I would not hesitate to buy a Ruger 1911. I already have a Delta, and nearly bought the Ruger 10. I wouldn't have been able to stop myself had it been a long slide. 

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 2