Power vs capacity?

Eric2340

28 minutes ago, AerynSun2 said:

Eric,

This is the criteria for choosing a handgun for self defense.

1. Reliable - it works when you pull the trigger

2. Weight and size that you will carry it.

3. You can shoot it accurately multiple times under stress

4. Number of rounds

5. Caliber

The above will determine the gun you choose.  Forget everything else. 

Yeah, I stopped trying that powerhouse thing a long time ago when I could not get hits with it. :( I then wisely discovered the "shoot the largest thing you can still control and get GOOD hits with" mentality finally. :) Well hopefully come around with age, experience and good advice. :) LOL

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:20 AM, Eric2340 said:

Given all things equal … - Power or capacity? 

Interestingly, I was just pondering a related question today, toying with starting a thread about it.  It's a variation on half of your question - the power aspect.

How does everyone prefer to define it?

-

Historically, I was a caliber guy.  As soon as I got off my first year and could ditch my departmentally issued .38 +P given to the rookies, I moved up. And, not just up, but I skipped right over the otherwise issued .40s in order to carry the "best": .45 ACP.  

With time & research, I realized it wasn't that clear cut.  (Not to mention when we had an OIS, be it with .38, 9mm, .40, or .45 no caliber seemed to be noticeably more effective than another).

I still have an emotional attachment to the .45 and sometimes carry one, but my typical carry is 9mm in a G43, :headscratch: so I guess I don't choose power OR capacity!  ? :Wow: :Alex:

But, I'm OK with that. 

-

But, back to my question: how does one define power?

Caliber?

Bullet Weight?

Penetration?

Velocity?

Energy/ft-lbs?

Sectional Density?

Wound cavity?

Some other factor?

A combination thereof?

At first, I thought about a dedicated thread for this "power" topic.  My assumption is that the answers would be all over the map with every possible opinion.

Then, I realized I don't actually care that much because I end up carrying whatever I end up carrying that works for my needs, circumstances, and perspectives.

Still, while I've never owned a .40 and really don't want to add another caliber to the mix, there's something about that M&P 2.0 Compact in .40 that keeps calling my name. Some power, some capacity.  Hmmm....

On 7/31/2018 at 1:16 PM, Eric2340 said:

Again, REALLY trying to avoid the "9mm vs .45" or any caliber over that one thing period, and trying to decide on the best answer or balance between power and capacity, fully knowing for the most part it really already is the classic debate it's always been.

Thanks -

It's never a dull conversation.

My suggestion is to first decide on the capacity you're comfortable with. For me it's 10 rounds, carrying a larger capacity mag is an option for me too. And lets face it - if you have to reload the concealment issue is out the window.

So, with all the options available in today's market - you can have your cake and eat it too. Just decide on the flavor.  

It's funny if you read the self-defense caliber threads and the justifications and arguments for smaller calibers, then read the bear defense threads involving the same people who will call you outright dumb for going into the woods with anything less than a .454 Casull...

And the funny thing is the average size of a black bear and the average size of a man...

http://www.biggamehunt.net/articles/bear-facts-25-things-every-black-bear-hunter-should-know

On average, most bears taken by hunters weigh somewhere between 125 and 300 pounds. Any black bear topping the 300-pound mark is considered large. 

https://www.livestrong.com/article/289265-what-is-the-average-adult-male-height/

The average adult American male (20 years and older) is 195.5 pounds, according to the CDC. 

1 minute ago, PNWguy said:

It's funny if you read the self-defense caliber threads and the justifications and arguments for smaller calibers, then read the bear defense threads involving the same people who will call you outright dumb for going into the woods with anything less than a .454 Casull...

And the funny thing is the average size of a black bear and the average size of a man...

http://www.biggamehunt.net/articles/bear-facts-25-things-every-black-bear-hunter-should-know

On average, most bears taken by hunters weigh somewhere between 125 and 300 pounds. Any black bear topping the 300-pound mark is considered large. 

https://www.livestrong.com/article/289265-what-is-the-average-adult-male-height/

The average adult American male (20 years and older) is 195.5 pounds, according to the CDC. 

True, but nobody budgets for a 125-pound bear - we all anticipate the big ones... :)

Power vs. capacity?  For the last 20 years, my power-vs-capacity calculus has led me to CCW the Glock G19 with a spare magazine (31 rounds) on a daly basis. A fairly straight forward, common decision.  But going forward 2 or 3 years, when I retire, my power-vs-capacity calculus will change.  I'm already looking at CCWing the G26, the Sig P365 or the S&W Shield.  Still 9mm (because I have an abundant supply of practice and HP ammo) but all with lower capacity.  And not sure about carrying a spare magazine daily.  

In short, at retirement, my risk factors, needs and lifestyle will change, thus dictating my considerations.   

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 2

In the end, just carry what you personally believe will protect you the best. It may not be the largest caliber or highest velocity.  It may even come in last in a survey of favorite calibers for self protection. All anyone else can tell you is what they personally believe is the best. That's why we have so many great calibers to choose from. And as far as favorite CC handguns …………………… just when you have picked your favorite and spent your money ………… out comes a new gun that carries more rounds in the mag and is smaller than all the rest. Life is a really bitch sometimes. :broc1:That's when we can start all over and buy another much needed gun, that we know we have to have cause it will be the best CC gun ever.  Life is great, ain't it.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:11 AM, Will Beararms said:

I’ve been at this for 30 years. Hearing grown men even acknowledge recoil is an issue these days makes me laugh and it further confirms the vaginization lf the American male. We are definitely no where near as rugged as our Fathers and Grandfathers.   

HA HA HA that made me laugh only because its very true..UNFORTUNATELY..

I know, for example, I was taught that we are supposed to build and fix things with our own tools and hands... now its like-throw it away and order a new one from china.. WTF

Or what about a good old FIRM handshake? or looking at someone when they speak to you...  Morals respect , the desire to be a stand-up guy....

Lol, ya hearing guys whine about recoil is really funny,they probably cry after shooting an M1 Garand.. honey i need an ice pack.....

Anyways, I second the motion that our fathers and grandfathers were a lot more rough and rugged as we are now.

So funny, THe VAGINIZATION of the american male... so funny...  AND IF THAT STATEMENT OFFENDS YOU, then you go get the pants back from your controlling wife and light some fireworks while drinking whiskey and shooting your red rider bb gun... that still wont help because your wife wont let you have the matches...

• Haha 1