Crazy pursuit & shoot video!

TBO

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

Was he allowed to do that?  Seems that the officer compromised public safety a smidgen.

Yes, he can pursue and use deadly force (while driving) to try to stop/apprehend murder suspects (who present a clear and present and IMMEDIATE danger to the public). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toofman said:

My butt puckerd when he exited the vehicle trying to reload his pistol. 

The officer showed a lot of courage. But I can't help but note every such video I have seen so far contains a very badly done and way long reload. Practice practice, muscle memory, muscle memory. Then the movement just happens.

Two things that cop described a bald guy with tattoos wearing a black shirt exactly how I look watching that video. I didn’t know cops could shoot out the front window like that. I mean I know they got every right to defend themselves but I didn’t know you could shoot through the window. Yeah I know bullets will go through a windshield. Prick got what he deserved. 

Intense stuff to be sure. The officer kept his stuff together pretty well considering the high speed chase and getting shot at. These weren't shoplifters. They were murder suspects that were reckless enough to fire in heavy traffic at pursuing police officers. Definitely an immediate threat to the public as well. I tip my hat to all those officers involved.

PS. I wish he had been lucky enough to have finished off both rather than just one out of two. Still, batting 500 ain't bad.

• Thanks 1

Procedural question, here, for the sworn folks. I've seen/read the sentiment that a LEO is responsible for every BB he throws downrange, a reasonable standard, IMO. After an event like this, does somebody have to go and figure out where each bullet went? Naturally, if a person were injured or property damaged, that would require investigation, but, otherwise, will they go looking for bullet holes in tree trunks and cinderblock walls?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Procedural question, here, for the sworn folks. I've seen/read the sentiment that a LEO is responsible for every BB he throws downrange, a reasonable standard, IMO. After an event like this, does somebody have to go and figure out where each bullet went? Naturally, if a person were injured or property damaged, that would require investigation, but, otherwise, will they go looking for bullet holes in tree trunks and cinderblock walls?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Like 1

If you open the video on youtube and click "Show More" under it, there's this text.

Las Vegas police on Monday released body camera footage of two men weaving through traffic and shooting at officers during a violent chase downtown that left one of the men dead and the other wounded Wednesday morning. Fidel Miranda, 22, and Rene Nunez, 30, are suspects in the fatal shooting of 25-year-old Thomas Romero, who was shot multiple times in the chest at a car wash at 1402 N. Eastern Ave. Romero died that morning at University Medical Center. While investigating that shooting, police found a 2000 Ford Expedition that matched the description of the suspects’ car just after 9:30 a.m., near near 29th Street and Constantine Avenue, Assistant Sheriff Tim Kelly said at a briefing Monday. Then the SUV sped off. Miranda and Nunez swerved around cars and raced through oncoming traffic — along Mojave Road, Charleston Boulevard and Eastern Avenue — while firing at police, Kelly said. They fired 34 rounds in five volleys during the pursuit, he said, while officers fired 31 shots. The footage shows officer William Umana, 43, following the suspects, yelling “shots fired, shots fired” into his radio.

When another police car joins the chase, Umana warned the officer to stay back. The second officer’s car was hit by bullets at least twice and could not finish the chase. As the chase neared its end, Umana can be seen in the video pulling his car closer to the SUV and firing 11 shots through his windshield and seven shots through his open window. One civilian’s car was struck by gunfire, Kelly said. Nunez exited the car as it was still moving near Hollingsworth Elementary School, 1776 E. Ogden Ave., and ran up steps outside of the school and attempted to enter, but the door was locked, Kelly said Miranda moved to the driver’s seat of the car and attempted to reverse toward Umana, Kelly said. Umana left his car and continued to fire while plain-clothes officer Paul Soloman, 46, approached the passenger-side door. Soloman fired his shotgun once and hit Miranda. The vehicle came to a stop at the north wall of the school, and Miranda was handcuffed while medical was called, Kelly said.

Miranda was pronounced dead at the scene. Umana and Soloman were not injured. Police arrested Nunez, who had gunshot wounds from either the previous shooting or the pursuit. Soloman, the plain-clothes officer, was not wearing a body camera, Kelly said. Nunez is accused of stealing the SUV on May 20 in North Las Vegas, Kelly said. One of the guns Nunez used during the pursuit was reported stolen from North Las Vegas on May 20. Miranda and Nunez also had aliases, “Cabezon” and “Kreeepper,” respectively, which could be gang-related, he said. Nunez faces multiple counts of murder with a deadly weapon and attempted murder with a deadly weapon. He remained in the Clark County Detention Center on Monday without bail. Kelly praised Umana and Soloman as brave and heroic. “The officer could have backed off, but he didn’t,” he said, referring to Umana.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

I'm certainly a caveman and I will never hold public office due to my views, but I think there are certain crimes that rise to a level were you should be forfeiting your life (Child molestation, attack on LEO, graffiti, etc.)

• Like 1