home theater

DUBSY

Has anyone had a positive experience with Yamaha 5.1 surround A/V receivers or speakers? Particularly the RX V383 receiver and YST SW012 speakers set. These are not audiophile quality but more budget minded. I'm looking at them and would like first hand reviews.

I have an old Yamaha and it has been great.  Yamaha does a great job on the auto-adjust for surround sound makes a big difference.  I also have a top of the line Onkyo and it is a steaming pile of ****.  It takes 150W when it is OFF, display went out, and its auto adjust sucks ass.  Controls are not as good, it was 3X the price of the Yamaha and the Yamaha is 3x as good IMHO.

I see Yamahas on spoofee and slickdeals fairly regular.  I have been tempted to get another since mine is old and does not have many HDMI and cannot do 4k.

• Like 1

I have owned 2 Yamaha receivers so far, currently a Yamaha RX-V661 that I have bought 10 years ago and barely used, until recently when I finally bought some speakers for it. I only used it as a pre amp all those years with an active speaker set.

Even though mine is rather old, it sounds outstanding. I can even hook it up to a TV for all the settings, comes with a mic for balancing. I first thought about buying a new amp and expensive THX speakers, but my setup sounds so good now, no need for anything else.

Yamaha is definitely a great brand in the home theater segment. Onkyo would be even better, so I have heard, but they also cost more.

I tried to find some info on the "YST SW012 speakers set". Looks like that this model number only stands for the subwoofer, but no other speakers.

This is what I bough by the way:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047K3X1M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For that "little" money they sound extremely balanced, while being able to deliver a serious mid-bass punch as well as super clear vocals. They will still need a subwoofer. I'm currently using a ported 12" leftover from my Logitech 5.1 system.

That being said, I skipped the center and the rear speakers this time around. I rather have clear vocals than sound everywhere.

5.1 used be great over 10 years ago when it was used sparingly, it was always a great surprise when that train rolled through you coming from the back. But today these sound effects are totally over the edge much like CGI. All modern action films are just a huge mess of noise coming from everywhere, making it hard to understand any dialog. If there is any to begin with. So 2.1 is for me.

I’m running a Yamaha RX-V667 for the audio system. Originally I ran a bottom of the line Klipsch 5.1 AV speaker set. They were very nice. Now I have a mixed bag of better speakers I bought used and refurbished. Not top quality but better than the low end Klipsch. No issues with the amp in 5+ years of heavy use. Both movies/TV and video games. 

The only complaint is listening to straight music. Not bad but not as good as I want. I’m real picky about my music. I run an old school, high end system along side the AV system just for music. 

2 hours ago, crockett said:

I tried to find some info on the "YST SW012 speakers set". Looks like that this model number only stands for the subwoofer, but no other speakers.

My bad. That was just the sub. The other five are NS-AP2600

42 minutes ago, DUBSY said:

My bad. That was just the sub. The other five are NS-AP2600

Well, the Amazon reviews are pretty decent.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-AP2600BL-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B001RCFGKE

At that price point it's really hard to to find "better" alternatives. They will all be made in China, they most likely will sound "ok" to many folks at lower levels.

I don't know how set you are on this price bracket.

HSU Research is well known, for many years. They are considered to be the minimum one should look at for any 5.1 / 7.1 system. They will sound like true theater audio, move a lot of air, all the way down to 23 Hz. But they will set you back $1,150. And they will need an amp with at least 80 true Watts on each channel. The sub has its own amp.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid1pkg.html

Hybrid1mk3-7-1-600.jpg

Next level up would be SVS Sound.

https://www.svsound.com

Only now we are getting out of Made in China territory and into a seriously audiophile league with Dynaudio etc.

https://www.dynaudio.com/

• Like 1