Home Automation

MrKandiyohi

Has anyone set up a home automation systems at their abode?  How are you using it?

I've done a basic implementation of the Home Assistant program on a Raspberry Pi PC along with a Z-wave controller.  I currently have a single switched outlet turning on a table lamp just to test the system.

I'm thinking of putting some outside lights on the system and a motion detector with a thermometer sensor.  I'm also researching thermostats for heating/cooling.

Got a bunch of different and independent systems, mainly for alarm systems, security cameras, lights and fish tanks.

For the lights I'm using Philips Hue. I can change both the color and brightness in all rooms with a few remotes as well as an app on my phone. It's a nice novelty but wears off quickly. I have it now all automated. When the sun goes down, all the lights fade in over 15 minutes. Around 11 PM they all start fading out. It's a good reminder for me to get ready for bed and not to waste my nights in-front of the computer. Love that I don't have to flip switches anymore. Since they are all LED, my power bill went down by $20 in average.

I would love to be able to open and close my garage door from my iPhone, but can not find any solution other that replacing the entire garage door.

Really, how hard would it be for someone to make a wifi enabled switch to replace the simple push button inside my garage?

We do have security cameras, but most of the other home automation gadgets don't get me overly excited.

I do have: 

Nest Hello

Nest Thermostats

Nest Protect

Philips Hue lights (around my computer area), living room (behind the telly) and the kitchen area (above the cooking area)

ADT alarm: that was just upgraded to the new one Pulse. You can use an app for arm/disarm, and such. 

7 hours ago, Presguy said:

I added a Chamberlain "My Q" kit to my garage door opener (an older Liftmaster). Lets you control the door from your smartphone, as well is see if it's open or closed at any given time. The setup was easy, your existing remotes still work. You do need to make sure your WiFi reaches the garage for it to work.

My only complaint is that the app is a little "laggy" - for instance, if you pull into your driveway, you'll be sitting there a good ten seconds while the app opens and connects before you can open the door.

I want to get a WIFI connection for my garage door opener, too. Not to use daily, but for those moments where a visitor needs to get in, or the missus says, "Did you close the garage door...?" Yes, honey, it shows right here on my smartphone, BOOM! ;) 

• Like 1

I have a bunch of different systems as well.  Outlet plugs, security cameras, etc.  One thing I learned is that the more "gadgets" you include, the more tied up your home network gets.  when you think about the number of appliances that communicate and use your network constantly, from televisions to washing machines, you can see the problem.  I installed repeaters to help out but I ended up trying to limit what is connected.  Throw a few family members using mobile phones, tablets or laptops and you have a mess.  There is a downside to everything.

1 hour ago, JArthurD said:

I have a bunch of different systems as well.  Outlet plugs, security cameras, etc.  One thing I learned is that the more "gadgets" you include, the more tied up your home network gets.  when you think about the number of appliances that communicate and use your network constantly, from televisions to washing machines, you can see the problem.  I installed repeaters to help out but I ended up trying to limit what is connected.  Throw a few family members using mobile phones, tablets or laptops and you have a mess.  There is a downside to everything.

When that happens you upgrade your network to handle the additions.

10 hours ago, Presguy said:

I added a Chamberlain "My Q" kit to my garage door opener (an older Liftmaster). Lets you control the door from your smartphone, as well is see if it's open or closed at any given time. The setup was easy, your existing remotes still work. You do need to make sure your WiFi reaches the garage for it to work.

My only complaint is that the app is a little "laggy" - for instance, if you pull into your driveway, you'll be sitting there a good ten seconds while the app opens and connects before you can open the door.

Thank You. That looks like exactly what I am wanting.

I have on a couple of occasions, left on a trip and suddenly got that awful feeling that i forgot to close the garage door. I have a great neighbor that I can call to go check and close it for me, but I would much rather not bother him and just check it and take the appropriate action from my iPad.

I will be checking this out soon!

I'm going to install a Uniden DB1 doorbell this weekend.  It has a camera that will activate on a ring or motion.

I'm considering a camera on the driveway and one covering the backyard.  I think i'll want outlet-powered wireless cameras, but that may change by the time I buy one.

I use a Samsung Smartthings hub. It interfaces with all sorts of Zwave and Zigbee stuff, as well as Amazon Echo. I have it set up with power outlets, light switches, door locks, sensors, thermostat, entertainment system, etc.

• 1 month later...

We recently built and have Control$ throughout. Just added a theater. HAve 5 music zones, alram system, security cameras and temperature controls.

Pros: Integration of multiple systems is it's strength. Once bugs worked out we have found it to be flawless.

Cons: Pricey and only some stuf you can control, dealer has to be used for some setups.

Edited by jack_pine

We recently built and have Control$ throughout. Just added a theater. HAve 5 music zones, alram system, security cameras and temperature controls.
Pros: Integration of multiple systems is it's strength. Once bugs worked out we have found it to be flawless.
Cons: Pricey and only some stuf you can control, dealer has to be used for some setups.

That’s why we haven’t done it. It would minimally be 100k for us for something that’s “cool”. If we decide to renovate though, we will be strongly considering it to bring it up to the new houses in the area.

I am going in the opposite direction.  I just replaced my "smart" thermostat, where I could program every hour of every day forever to a thermostat where I "set it and forget it."  Anything connected to the internet can be hacked or monitored or used against you in a ...

My thermostats and doorbell are on their own separate network together with guest restrictions(basically they can only connect to the internet and nothing else). If I didn’t have that, I probably wouldn’t have gotten them.

• 5 months later...

Update to my HA project.

I have a well casement which can freeze when the outside temps get -20 or -30F and there isn't much snow cover to insulate it.  I would get a frozen line sometimes and would need to climb down there and put in a small barn heater to thaw out the lines.  A PITA especially when I was usually in the shower when the line froze up.

I decided this might be a good fit for HA.  I thought a thermometer in the casement could monitor the temp and cause a switch to turn on the barn heater to heat up the casement.  The main problem was the casement was mostly underground and away from the house.  I could put the thermometer up high in the casement, so the signal would be stronger there.  I didn't want to rely on a battery in the thermometer, so I used the USB power cord.  That means, it should be good from now on as long as the environment doesn't kill the thermometer with moisture.  I then put the switch into a power strip towards the top of the casement while still letting the heater sit on the floor of the casement.

I monitor the temp and turn on the heater if it goes below 33F.

The main problem I had was the switch's signal couldn't get back to the main controller to let me know that it was switched on.  The switch could receive the signal and start the heater going, but the controller wouldn't know that.  I eventually used a value that changed when I sent the 'on' signal to the switch.  I could then turn off the heater after a certain time.  I decided on 60 minutes.  I wanted the casement walls to be warmed up and any frost on the walls to be melted.

The system has been activated about 6 times this winter - once it turned on twice overnight.  I've setup HA to email me when the heater is turned on and then off, so I have a record when I've woken up.

I'm still considering a thermostat, but I'll wait until after the outside temps start to rise, so I'm not risking any furnace issues during cold weather.