Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

Mebbe just me, but though they were mechanical catastrophes compared to the post-war automobiles, those designed and built between 1920 and 1940 are some of the most beautiful works of functional art ever.

Some, you just want to sit and look at for hours.

Here's to you, lads that made them wonderful.  :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Back in 1990/1991, I worked at a Plymouth/Jeep/Eagle/Yugo dealership, in Coeur d’ Alene, ID. I ran their detail department and I had to do make-readies on a LOT of new Yugos. That dealership sold more new Yugos than any dealership in the world, right up to the point that the factory became smoking crater.

Yugos were junk. I would have to repair mechanical & trim issues and restore paint issues that no new car should ever have. Broken door handles, broken rear view mirrors, inoperable wipers, paint stained by rain, you name it. All of that and it is the only new car I ever encountered that had an unpleasant new-car-smell. It smelled cheap and musty and mildly toxic, which it probably was. God knows what sorts of materials and chemicals they used. 

BF58AAE0-20CB-4572-84CD-BB8F71468C24.jpeg

26708D24-B6FD-453C-84C5-48D150998E1B.jpeg

F32C4946-47F1-4880-972F-621A60C4A596.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eric said:

Back in 1990/1991, I worked at a Plymouth/Jeep/Eagle/Yugo dealership, in Coeur d’ Alene, ID. I ran their detail department and I had to do make-readies on a LOT of new Yugos. That dealership sold more new Yugos than any dealership in the world, right up to the point that the factory became smoking crater.

Yugos were junk. I would have to repair mechanical & trim issues and restore paint issues that no new car should ever have. Broken door handles, broken rear view mirrors, inoperable wipers, paint stained by rain, you name it. All of that and it is the only new car I ever encountered that had an unpleasant new-car-smell. It smelled cheap and musty and mildly toxic, which it probably was. God knows what sorts of materials and chemicals they used. 

BF58AAE0-20CB-4572-84CD-BB8F71468C24.jpeg

26708D24-B6FD-453C-84C5-48D150998E1B.jpeg

F32C4946-47F1-4880-972F-621A60C4A596.jpeg

Another of Malcolm Bricklin's not-quite-good ideas.

One must winder how many Yugos in Idaho were reported lost and destroyed in a blizzard after three months of ownership.

Yugo even made the Chevette looks like a quality automobile.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, tous said:

Another of Malcolm Bricklin's not-quite-good ideas.

One must winder how many Yugos in Idaho were reported lost and destroyed in a blizzard after three months of ownership.

Yugo even made the Chevette looks like a quality automobile.

Yeah, it was a lemon. The only decent thing about the car was the engine and transaxle. They were licensed from Fiat and were actually pretty well built. Fiat had been using the engine/transaxle design for decades and they had the design dialed in pretty well.

the only good thing about the Yugo was the warranty. It had a 3yr/36,000-mile powertrain warranty and a 12mo/12,000-mile warranty that covered everything except gas. Tires, oil changes, tune-ups and everything else was covered. If you lived near a Yugo dealer and didn’t mind getting to know the members of their service department by their first names, it wasn’t a horrible deal. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

A Lotus Europa. It’s lines are a bit odd, but oddly pleasing. 

F2008105-14C9-46E2-8DD9-B7DFB84F1F7A.jpeg

I raced with a feller that had the John Player version and drive his many times.

You  could hide a building behind them and you's never see it from the driver's seat.

Two things said about the Europa:

You don't get in it; you put it on.

It goes around corners so fast it'll throw your radio out of tune.

I agree.

Like the Volvo P 1800, at first glance it looks sort of wrong, but the more you look at it, the more comely it gets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One aspect of British automobiles that always irked me, aside from the Lucas electrics, is that the British assume that everyone has a size 5 narrow foot.

I have always found the pedals too close together in danged near every British car I ever drove.

• Thanks 1