Ruger Single Sixes

Wyzz Kydd

As some of you may know, I’m an avid Cowboy Action competitor (four state championships and one regional so far). I’ve been shooting CAS matches pretty much every weekend for a little over 13 years now. 

Last year I decided to create my ultimate CAS revolvers.

I started with a matching set of Ruger Single Sixes in .32 H&R Magnum.

First I purchased two Ruger Original Model Vaquero grip frames (longer than the short grips that come standard on Single Sixes). They’re interchangeable so I swapped them out myself. I also ordered a nice matching set of Altamont checkered grips and put those on.

Next I shipped the revolvers off to Snake Oil George (a retired machinist) and had him swap the barrels out, replacing the stock 4.62 inch round barrels with 5 inch Shilen octagon barrels with solid brass front sights.

Next I shipped the revolvers to Jimmy Spurs for some serious action work. Jimmy removed the transfer bars, put in a half cock feature and welded up the hammers. He reduced the trigger pull to 1.25 lbs, reduced the travel and reset to about 1/10 of an inch and set the triggers back. 

Jimmy installed custom springs reducing the hammer spring to about 13 lbs. All the internal parts were polished, the cylinder gaps were reset, cylinder faces beveled, and ejection rod housing face smoothed (less wear on the holsters when reholstering).

The rear sight channel was widened and Custom Power base pins installed.

The final steps will be thinning the grips a bit and some engraving.

I shot them in a match for the first time yesterday and they were amazing. They balanced like a dream and had pretty much zero muzzle flip even though I load my rounds a bit hotter than most cowboys.

They're not suitable for everyday carry given the super light triggers and lack of transfer bar safeties, but for competition they’re a dream. I haven’t timed myself yet, but I’m confident I should be able to draw aim and fire in about .5 seconds consistently and do 5 round dumps in about 1 second or so.

IMG_0251.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

That’s a stunning brace you have there. The single-sixes are solid 22s. I owned a few of the early LW Tri-colors and I really wish I’d hung onto at least one of them. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Valmet.  I've never owned a Single Six in .22, but I've handled a few.  In .32 H&R Magnum they can be a bit snappy, even when loaded down for competition.  That's one of the reasons I decided to swap to heavier octagon barrels, less muzzle flip.