The 'New' Method

Eric

• Administrators

I like to have some show streaming on one of my computer monitors, when I m working on something online. Today, I've got How It's Made streaming. On an episode just now, they were making paper song template rolls for player pianos. They started out by showing the old method of perforating the rolls, using a large mechanical contraption interlinked with a piano. The pianist plays the song and the pneumatic punches poke the holes.

Then they showed the 'New' method. It involves having a computer convert the music into an electronic file, which is then spoon-fed to the perforation machine, which cuts 100 or so sheets of paper rolls at a time. The funny thing was, when they transferred the electronic files to the computer that controls the punch machine, they copied the file onto a 5-1/4" floppy disk and then stuck it in to an Apple IIe computer. :supergrin: The copyright of that How It's Made episode is 2010. So in 2010, the 'New' method they used was a computer that came on the market when I was in middle school.

apple_iie.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3