The last gun you'd give up ... handgun, rifle, shotgun?

Grabbrass

"I don't/won't give up any gun" is not a valid response for purposes of this conversation.

It's about priorities ... if you had to carry on owning only one firearm, would you keep a handgun, rifle, or shotgun? 

This isn't in a hypothetical apocalyptic wasteland, no SHTF (though it could still happen someday, so that should be part of your deliberation). Just carrying on with the life you're living now, but with one gun. If you choose rifle or shotgun, your CCW days are over. If you choose handgun, there's not gonna be a rifle for it to get you to. 

I've been conducting this mental exercise on myself the past couple days. It isn't a question I want to answer. But I suppose I'd end up choosing handgun, assuming it involves everyday "civilized" living.  

Also I forgot to add ... don't get fancy describing the specific model of weapon, how you'd outfit it or etc. Just pick one of the three categories. And be real about it ... I mean you could say handgun and intend that it be an AR pistol, thinking you're endrunning the game somehow ... but are you gonna CCW that AR pistola?

Probably depends greatly upon the where and when reasons for drawing down to only one.

If you’re going off grid in back country AK you’d probably be better off with a rifle or shotgun. In a big city like Phoenix AZ, probably want a handgun. 

I think I could get down to a bear minimum of any two, but I couldn’t pick just one

Edited by AK_Stick
  • Like 1

There are no reasons for drawing down to only one, and no change in your circumstance, in this hypothetical. Your life goes on, as-is, no changes (except you own one gun, only).

"I couldn't pick just one" ... I hear ya, but that's the point of the game.

Easy for me: handgun.

That's what I used to carry for a living and what I still use day to day for CC.  That's what I enjoy shooting at the range.  I technically have a .22 rifle and an M1 Carbine, but I rarely use them and they don't feel quite at home in my hands.

I'm most comfortable with a handgun, be it revolver or semi-auto pistol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grabbrass said:

There are no reasons for drawing down to only one, and no change in your circumstance, in this hypothetical. Your life goes on, as-is, no changes (except you own one gun, only).

"I couldn't pick just one" ... I hear ya, but that's the point of the game.

Meh, I’ll stick with my answer of any two of the three. 

12 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Meh, I’ll stick with my answer of any two of the three. 

When you play Monopoly and you get a "Go to Jail, Go Directly to Jail, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200" card, you're that guy who still wants his $200.

Handgun, GLOCK of some sort.  Concealable if need be.  Powerful in the right calibers.  Accurate out to 100 yards or so.  Ammunition available everywhere.  Easily repaired with interchangeable parts.  Can be worn exposed if the situation dictates such.  Can be used to take smaller game, if necessary.  If it were truly the proto-Apocalypse, then I'd likely make another choice.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My S&W 442. Its the one gun I have always counted on. I can carry it in any clothing from casual wear to a suit or tuxedo.  I got married with it in my pocket. 

Pocket carry and a speed strip for discreet carry. Or OWB with a speed loader in a belt pouch when deep concealment isn’t a problem. 

It it would be hard to get rid of the one gun I can carry in any clothing or environment. 

Since I live in the Free states of America and not behind enemy lines, I would go with my 10.5" AR-15 pistol. Which I would then appropriately lighten. If an Israeli school teacher can lug around an M1 Carbine all day I can lug around an AR-15 pistol.