The last gun you'd give up ... handgun, rifle, shotgun?

Grabbrass

On 6/26/2018 at 2:57 PM, crockett said:

I refuse those self castrating "games" out of principle. That's what a liberal could come up with.

There are other circumstances besides 'the gun grabbers are coming' that could make you face this choice. In 2005 my wife and had an impaired child. He was in and out of the ICU a number of times, needed durable medical equipment in the home for which my insurance would only cover $1000 a year (about 2 months' worth), special foods, special compounded medicines. All annual leave, sick leave, family medical leave was spent. My pay got cut because taking him to the doctor required at least two adults, three would've been better. It killed us financially, and made me make the choice posed by this thread. Sold all but a G27. Then sold that too, I'm sorry to say. Went 'gunless' for almost 2 years, 2006-2008. I don't like admitting that, but we needed every possible penny. Guns weren't all I sold.

Edited by Grabbrass
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grabbrass said:

There are other circumstances besides 'the gun grabbers are coming' that could make you face this choice. In 2005 my wife and had an impaired child. He was in and out of the ICU a number of times, needed durable medical equipment in the home for which my insurance would only cover $1000 a year (about 2 months' worth), special foods, special compounded medicines. All annual leave, sick leave, family medical leave was spent. My pay got cut because taking him to the doctor required at least two adults, three would've been better. It killed us financially, and made me make the choice posed by this thread. Sold all but a G27. Then sold that too, I'm sorry to say. Went 'gunless' for almost 2 years, 2006-2008. I don't like admitting that, but we needed every possible penny. Guns weren't all I sold.

That is indeed a valid point in your situation. I was luckily not that low on funds since getting out of college. That being said, if I was facing a so dire financial phase that I would have to sell stuff worth in the hundreds, I'd rather try to make more money by working smarter instead of harder (hence longer), because $500 here, and $500 there won't tackle a serious problem long enough, if at all. Now selling a car for lets say $30k and getting a beater for $2k, then investing $28 to make more money would be more along my lines.

12 minutes ago, crockett said:

That is indeed a valid point in your situation. I was luckily not that low on funds since getting out of college. That being said, if I was facing a so dire financial phase that I would have to sell stuff worth in the hundreds, I'd rather try to make more money by working smarter instead of harder (hence longer), because $500 here, and $500 there won't tackle a serious problem long enough, if at all. Now selling a car for lets say $30k and getting a beater for $2k, then investing $28 to make more money would be more along my lines.

yeah but no, that wouldn't have worked. I was only getting 3 hours of sleep a day as it was then. Work 8:30-5/6pm, then take over with the baby as soon as I got home. Salaried job, so working longer wouldn't help. Couldn't leave the job either, b/c insurance. Bed about 4am, up at 7am and back to work. He needed constant supervision and there was only my wife and I. And like I said, guns weren't all that got sold. Rough times, trust me. There's no lower place than fighting to keep your kid alive knowing it'll be a miracle if he makes it to 3yo (he didn't).

Edited by Grabbrass

No plans to give up anything but the most valuable on a personal level is my Ruger No. 1 in .458 Win Mag.  She's 41 yrs old, very accurate and has gorgeous wood.

I've recently found some good reduced loads that make it more fun to shoot.  I still shoot some heavy stuff but at 70, too many heavy rounds and I get a headache from them.  Don

Alright, I'll play. If things are "normal" I'd keep a pistol (G20 to be exact, with lots of 15 and 32rd mags). In a true SHTF situation or with major political turmoil at the horizon I'd keep a rifle (my Wilson Combat .308 Super Sniper).

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

That would be a gut wrenching decision. I would be torn between these choices and could make a case for any of them:

1) a .22LR Rifle such as a 10-22, 39A.

2) 12 Gauge Pump 870

3) An all around handgun such as a Glock 19 or S&W 686. 

Sure glad I don't have to make such a painful decision!

On 1/12/2018 at 4:21 PM, Grabbrass said:

"I don't/won't give up any gun" is not a valid response for purposes of this conversation.

It's about priorities ... if you had to carry on owning only one firearm, would you keep a handgun, rifle, or shotgun? 

This isn't in a hypothetical apocalyptic wasteland, no SHTF (though it could still happen someday, so that should be part of your deliberation). Just carrying on with the life you're living now, but with one gun. If you choose rifle or shotgun, your CCW days are over. If you choose handgun, there's not gonna be a rifle for it to get you to. 

I've been conducting this mental exercise on myself the past couple days. It isn't a question I want to answer. But I suppose I'd end up choosing handgun, assuming it involves everyday "civilized" living.  

Handgun, based on concealability and self defense.