Eric

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
1 minute ago, tous said:

I remember the show.

Main character drove a 1966 light metallic blue GTO, didn't he?

Yep. TNT cancelled it suddenly in its second season. They are worse about that than Fox. Shame. I enjoyed the show.

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yep. TNT cancelled it suddenly in its second season. They are worse about that than Fox. Shame. I enjoyed the show.

As the interest and expectations of quality, sophisticated story telling wanes, so does the quality of the story telling.

Most prime time dramas and situation comedies are more like cartoons that artful productions.

I cannot evaluate what is available as streaming as I don't do that, but remarks by others indicate that that is also, as Newton Minnow observed in 1961:

When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better.

But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly, commercials — many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you’ll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, tous said:

As the interest and expectations of quality, sophisticated story telling wanes, so does the quality of the story telling.

Most prime time dramas and situation comedies are more like cartoons that artful productions.

I cannot evaluate what is available as streaming as I don't do that, but remarks by others indicate that that is also, as Newton Minnow observed in 1961:

When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better.

But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly, commercials — many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you’ll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it.

Maybe the Good Old Days really were better.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I know this woman is probably a flaming lefty, but there are a number of her songs I really like. My favorite is probably here cover of Ghost Riders in the Sky.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, tous said:

I remember that song well.

Please, let us all agree to not post MacArthur Park.

Or even mention it.

:biggrin:

How about this instead?

• Like 2