DX-The thrill of the hunt

Historian

Anyone out there looking for a rare and elusive station?

I had Israel on for a few minutes but we failed to complete the transaction.  So i didn't log it.  This would have been my 96 country.  Only need two more for DXCC (100 countries) as I have paper confirmations for three others.  Recent misses were South Korea, Gibraltar, Isle of Man (last one i need for all of England).  Missed Hong Kong a few months ago.

For those who are new to the topic of ham radio.   DXCC is a major award for working 100 countries.   I'm only  a handful away from earning the award.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know anything about amateur radio operations, but that's pretty cool, talking to 100 different countries! Do you just hope to get someone that speaks English? Also, the International Space Station has a radio. I've read stories of people talking to them. From what I understand, that's strictly line of sight, so you have to have an ISS tracking app, and catch them at a convenient time.

On 12/22/2020 at 2:29 PM, tadbart said:

I don't know anything about amateur radio operations, but that's pretty cool, talking to 100 different countries! Do you just hope to get someone that speaks English? Also, the International Space Station has a radio. I've read stories of people talking to them. From what I understand, that's strictly line of sight, so you have to have an ISS tracking app, and catch them at a convenient time.

English is the language most radio operators speak.  Many know just enough to establish a contact and log it.   Those are guys you don't have a 20 minute conversation with.   They know their limits and bail pretty fast.

Then there are those guys who speak 10 languages and you can hear them move between them easily.  Those guys  are always interesting.

And you are right.  You can contact the ISS on a $50 hand held.  And they do radio checks often!

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

Dude. That is SO cool. Talking to someone IN FKIN SPACE. Yes, I know the mileage is a bit further to India or the Philippines, but they're breathing the same air we are. Talking to an astronaut has been one of the great highlights of my life, when I got to meet Dr. Story Musgrave.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tadbart said:

Dude. That is SO cool. Talking to someone IN FKIN SPACE. Yes, I know the mileage is a bit further to India or the Philippines, but they're breathing the same air we are. Talking to an astronaut has been one of the great highlights of my life, when I got to meet Dr. Story Musgrave.

Yeah. Well even among astronaut's that man is a bit of a legend!

And you can work space with a hand held radio.   I've seen guys do it with a $50 radio.

• Like 2

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.