Junk Vs "Collectable"???

FullClip

10 hours ago, Historian said:

Sure! There are lots of people who can get an old radio like that working again.  It would be so wonderful to hear something period play through those old speakers.

Could you imagine the news of the times that was heard by that radio?  News of Hitler invading Poland?  Election news?   How about a baseball game on that old radio?

We'll need some ice cream and some iced tea.

Even listening to the serials after getting home from school or work. Sargent Preston of the Yukon, Green Hornet, Fibber McGee and Mollie, and many others. 

My Father in law and his brother had neighboring homes in acreage in East Texas. They passed away in the same year and my Wife was the executor of both of the estates.

It seems that there was no such thing as a deal that could be passed up by either of the brothers. Mostly junk and I still have a large shed full of it to dispose of.

• Like 2

A lot of the junk hoarded over time by people simply trash that hasn't made its' way to the recycler or the landfill yet. 

My father-in-law was a decent man, but as a farmer from the Mid-West, he fell prey to the affliction that many farmers do - hoarding junk and never getting rid of anything. He kept the discarded cars he bought for his children in high school - a 1968 Ford LTD convertible and a 1970 Chrysler 300 convertible. He claimed they were worth money. Never mind that neither had run since G.H.W. Bush had assumed office, that they were stored unprotected in a machine shed in the Midwest, and were nests for rodents and vermin. He also had two aircraft - he couldn't pass a FAA physical and his flying buddies either couldn't or had died off. The FAA annuals were due, but he never did them. He refused to sell them. When he finally died, neither his wife [licensed pilot] or his two children [both previously licensed] wanted them. They were in poor condition and we spent a closetful of cash just to get them running and to market. They finally sold at a loss to a broker that was outside of the Midwest. He assumed that his children wanted them - his son had the money to fly, but not the time. My wife and I did not want to learn to fly again [for her] and pay the ridiculous costs of general aviation. It took months to clear out his house and his sheds of crap that should have seen a scrap drive in the 1970s. The stuff that was valuable had been neglected to the point that much of it was now worthless. 

I've been slowly divesting myself of junk and possessions for a few years now and I am going to accelerate the process. I do not want to leave more than a few things behind and that can be disposed of within a weekend's worth of time. Now's a good time to get serious about selling off my firearms. It's too hot to go shooting much of the year, the range is always now full of casual "classless" shooters who got their gun handling knowledge from the movies, the days of shooting in the desert are gone, ammunition is scarce and expensive, and aside from a couple of weapons - I just don't care for the hobby any longer.  

Being remembered as a hoarder is not attractive.

• Like 2