Situational Awareness

CalmerThanYou

More and more I find myself taking a few moments to observe my surroundings, looking for anything out of the ordinary before I enter parking lot, store, building or event.  I do not pull up tight to the car ahead of me, in the event I need to move away from my position..  I without being obvious check out cars pulling up next to me.

I assume many of you do the same.  Any additional advice or experiences?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to the replies to this thread, because I find that most of the time all anyone says is, "maintain a high-level of situational awareness."  But rarely does anyone go into any specifics about the techniques/mechanics of how to do that.

A few things I try to do include: 

I do a visual scan of my surroundings about every 20 seconds.  This is pretty easy for me, as I've been a pilot for nearly a dozen years now, and doing visual scans of the airspace around me as well as my instruments is pretty much instinctive at this point.  However, to explain:  I break up my field of view into four quadrants, basically four horizontal rectangles (two on the left/two on the right) and quickly scan first the center of a quadrant then each of the corners of a quadrant, before returning to the center of my FOV, looking for anything that's not supposed to be there; like another airplane, a helicopter, a hot air balloon, etc.  Then I scan the next quadrant and so on, each time returning my attention to the center of my FOV.  Each quadrant scan takes about 2-3 seconds.  So in a crowded room/area filled with faces, I'm looking for anything that stands out.  Most of the faces should be smiling, or bored, or looking for something/someone, etc.  Some eye contact is likely, but normal eye contact lasts about 1-2 seconds, then they should slide away.  Unusual would be angry, scared, or focused right on me.  Those faces are going to get my attention immediately.

If possible, I examine the faces of those inside before entering a building.  A few months ago as I was entering my bank, I noticed that there was a couple just a few feet inside the lobby, gesturing violently in the direction of one of the employees.  I did a quick face check of the tellers I could see through the glass doors; their faces were showing concern, but not fear.  And they were going about their business for the most part.  I entered the doors and found that the couple was upset about how long it was taking to get their new bank cards.  In other words, a non-critical issue.  But even so, I gave them a wide berth as I entered and was aware of their presence until they left the building.  I even mentally noted while conversing with the teller that they left in a late '90s dark green minivan with dark tinted windows.

When walking through a parking lot/parking structure, I walk down the middle of the lanes, to give me as much space as possible from the ends of parked vehicles.  The idea is to give me as much time and room to react to a potential attack as possible.  

As a pilot, I'm used to doing what's called a "pre-flight check," which is a walk around the aircraft to look it over for obvious problems before getting in and starting the engines.  I do one for the car as well.  Mostly this started as a check for a flat tire, fluid leaks, problem objects lodged behind a wheel, etc.  However, now I'm also checking for homeless people in my camper shell (happened once), broken glass bottles placed behind a tire (twice), and kids hiding on the passenger side of my truck (playing hide-and-seek, I think).  It takes about thirty seconds or less depending on how much I can scan as I walk up to the truck.

So what this might look like in the real world is something like this:

A couple weeks ago I decided that I needed to get gas and a coffee at the local convenience store on the way to work one night.  There was only one other car parked at the pumps, but no one was near it.  I pulled into one of the pumps nearest the front of the store, so that their surveillance cameras would be filming me, my truck and the immediate area around my truck while I was there.  I scanned the area in front of the store as I put the truck in park.  I noted the three young men and at least two bikes propped against the wall, two standing (the one on the left facing to the right, the other facing me) and one sitting (facing to the left) on the curb about thirty feet to the left of the doors.  I noted that the one standing facing me was probably taller than me, but not over six foot, with longer than shoulder-length dark, dirty-looking hair, and average build, Caucasian.  The one sitting was much smaller than him, wearing a red or orange-ish skull cap.  The one on the left was shorter but thicker than the tall one, probably Hispanic, with long dark hair.

There were no other people in front of the store. I saw that the clerk inside was helping one person and that they were apparently having a friendly conversation (smiles).  I made sure that my passenger door was locked as I opened the door. 

About 6 seconds elapsed since I put the truck in Park. 

The clerk took no note of my arrival.  The tallest young man (henceforth, "Tall Guy") looked right at me as I exited the truck.  I went over to the pump and put my card in the slot.  I faced towards the front of the store as I answered the many questions of the gas pump, allowing me to keep tabs on the group in front of the store.  I looked through the windows of the truck and campershell a couple times, but I was the only person getting gas at the moment; the fuel islands were empty except for the car with no one near it.

I started pumping gas. 

I locked the truck with the key fob and headed across the parking lot towards the store to get my coffee.  Tall Guy immediately started heading towards the doors, taking a path to intercept me before I got to the front of the store.  I scanned his hands which were both visible and empty.  I scanned his buddies, who were still where they were when I arrived, having a conversation.  Thick Guy looked in our direction, but went back to his conversation with Sitting Guy.  Tall Guy  approaching me put his left hand in his pocket, looking right at me.  I stopped when Tall Guy was almost completely blocking Thick Guy and Sitting Guy's view of me and put the thumb of my left hand under the edge of my shirt, right hand slid up to the front of my thigh just below the edge of my shirt.  I politely but firmly asked him, "what can I do for you?" in a loud voice.  The clerk looked in my direction and noticed the young man opposite me.  I squared up to him, still more than 15 feet away, and made it plainly obvious through my body language and verbal tone I wasn't interested in silliness. 

At this point, the clerk asked through the open door, "everything okay out there?"  Tall Guy glanced in his direction, but came right back to me.  Thick Guy and Sitting Guy were now looking in our direction, but I didn't see any anger/hatred/other violent emotions on their faces.  

Tall Guy looked me over for about 3 seconds, turned on his heel, and walked back over to his buddies.  I went inside and got my coffee.  I noted that the store was empty except for me, the clerk and his conversation buddy. The clerk asked me what that was about, to which I responded, "I don't really know," but I kept part of my attention on the three young men outside.  They were talking, but no one seemed overtly angry/agitated.  As I left the store to get in my truck and leave, I purposely walked straight out from the doors, keeping a large space between me and my new friends, cutting back towards the front of my truck when there was at least 30 feet between us.  Basically I walked a large arc to use the continuous angle to keep them in my peripheral vision the entire walk to the truck.  Then I scanned the truck, though I hadn't noticed anyone near it while I was in the store.

I put the pump back, got my receipt, facing the front of the store the whole time.  I got in the truck, started it and pulled away, keeping my three amigos in sight, and pulled out the driveway opposite their position.

I know, it's a boring story.  Nothing happened.  And it's very likely that kid just wanted to try to bum a smoke from me or something equally trivial.  I just wanted to use an experience that I recently had to illustrate some of the things I do to "maintain a high-level of situational awareness."  

Anyway, like I said, I look forward to reading what other techniques I might learn from the rest of you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, CalmerThanYou said:

Tall guy seems to have been testing to see it you were an easy target.  Creepy invasion of personal space at the very least.  Glad I am not alone, sometimes I feel like I am being over cautious, but in fact it should be instinctive.

Yeah, that was a possibility in my mind.  The fact that Thick Guy didn't seem interested in the whole thing told me the event wasn't planned.  Or probably wasn't.  Otherwise he also probably would've been moving in my direction. 

It was an odd incident, in that Tall Guy's pals weren't apparently aware of his intentions.  Usually, in my experience, if Tall Guy wanted to try to mug me or whatever, his buddies would've been part of the plan, and would've moved into some kind of support position.  Since they didn't do anything like that, I'm inclined to believe Tall Guy wanted to bum a smoke or beg for some change; basically a non-threatening motive.  But the way and the speed at which he moved to intercept me, the look on his face, etc., told me he was about to do something stupid.  Fortunately for everyone, he retreated.  otherwise, he was about to get a face full of pepper spray.

My approach is that rather than living my life expecting that at any moment something bad could happen to me, I avoid falling into the trap of believing that I'm safe and nothing bad could possibly happen.

I don't expect bad things to happen or constantly scan my surroundings looking for possible danger--I just don't allow myself to become complacent by expecting nothing to happen.

This eliminates the delay that many people encounter during a crisis while they work through the typical crisis response:

"Is this really happening? This never happens. How could this happen? This can't be happening to me. I never thought this could happen."

Eventually, they get around to: "Yes, this really IS happening to me. I need to do something."  But by then it may be too late.

Mostly, when I look around in public, I see people choosing to be oblivious of their surroundings, at least some of the time.  At some level, conscious or subconscious, they have trained themselves to believe that nothing bad could happen and so they feel no need to pay attention to what's going on around them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I always watch everything going on and every one around me. If we, the wife and I, pull into a gas station and there are sketchy people around, I will usually let the wife pump the gas while I stand guard.

If we go out to eat, I usually ask for a table in a corner, if available, that gives a good view of the people around us. Movies, we always sit on the end of an aisle close to an exit.

I always avoid large crowds, I limit parking in parking garages or parking decks. When we do have to use those places, I am always in extra alert status, watching the people around us, dark hiding spots and cars that come and go.

This day and age, you cannot afford to let down your guard when in public, whether day or night. Perps are smart and use surprise to their advantage.

The closest I have ever came to pulling my gun was 1996. I was carrying a Ruger P90 .45. We were in downtown Memphis, walking from the Peabody Hotel to Beale Street. As we were walking, 2 guys come out of an alley and asked for money. I told them I didn't carry cash. One smirked and said "we take plastic". In one move, I pulled my wife behind me and put the other hand on my gun, small of back. The guys both immediately backed up and said "we don't want any trouble, Bro". They went back into the alley and we went on our way giving them plenty of room.

Always be prepared. Always be vigilant.

Sent from a mental institution

• 6 months later...

It's okay to be paranoid right? I get told I'm paranoid all the time.  The truth is though, my family grew lived in some pretty shady/rough areas when I was a small kid. Get on youtube and watch footage of hold ups, people bully other people. you start to see a pattern almost to the point that when it happens to you it feels like dejavu. If something doesn't feel right, chances are it aint. 

• Like 1

I thought I did a good job, but got proven wrong a couple of years ago. I try to leave a space when stopping so I can maneuver out if needed. I try to watch my surroundings. I look for unusual settings. 

Well, the wife and I was hungry and decided just to grab some chicken and take it home. I pulled up in the drive-thru and was deciding what to order when my wife yelled me to watch out. I looked at her and she had drawn her gun. 

My first thought was, I thought this was what you wanted for supper, but if not all you had to do was say something. Then I realized she was looking behind me, which I turned and there was a large black man starting to reach into our car. I have no idea where he came from, but he was on top of me before I could do anything. He was reaching in the window and must of seen my wife pointing her Glock at him and he froze. He started talking real fast how he didn't want no trouble, he just wanted some spare change. 

I looked at him and told him he was about ready to get some lead if he didn't get out of here. He took off and we pulled up to the window told the store employees, who called the police. 

Never did hear anything else about it.

Yet, I learned two things. First, I really appreciate having a wife that is observant and watches out for me.  Secondly, I don't pay nearly as much attention as I should. I have worked on correcting that, but that day, I was caught 100% off guard. 

• Like 3

“Just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean nobody’s out to get me.”

I try to get a handle on people around me without looking like I’m paranoid or worried about something.

People that look paranoid don’t really blend in well and I don’t like to stand out. At the same time, I don’t want to look oblivious, making me vulnerable.

The key is to innocuously identify people and notice what they are paying attention to, while also staying aware of their position.

If someone gets too close, don’t be afraid to call them out, or ready yourself. Most victims either don’t see it coming or are too afraid of being impolite to stop a possible threat. Usually aggression or making a scene will stop a threat.

My advice to family and friends has always been to:

1. Keep your head out of your phone

2.  Make an effort to pay reasonable attention to circumstances developing around you.

3.  Make an effort to assess the people around you. 

4.  Know where you are at all times and have a good idea of how to remove yourself quickly from any structure or facility. 

5.  When it come time to act, do so quickly and meaningfully.. when it doubt - MOVE.  Don't sit around trying to decide of your situation is really BAD or not.... MOVE. 

6. Mind your own business

On places: stick with the places that you know as much as possible, you are much more able to detect things which are (wrong) or out of place if you are familiar with the ongoings of a particular location. 

On people: How do they present themselves ( how are they dressed, what type of foot ware, scars, marks, tattoos or items denoting association)  what items do they have with them, who are they with, what is their focus ( what are they doing) (why are they here), how do they relate to others( rude, hostile, polite, indifferent), what have they said?,( paralanguage cues / tone and inflections) what is their general manner/ how do they occupy space? ( bold, passive, withdrawn, angry, nervous, alert, distracted?),  What is their station in life ( poor, middleclass, rich ), Is the behavior of the people around me ( normal) for the circumstances.  In this space, who knows who and who is with whom? If people are together, what is their apparent relationship to each other? ( wife, sister, boyfriend, compatriot, colleague, Father, Mother?) If those around me are a group.. who is the apparent leader or (alpha)?

Edited by Paper Tiger
  • Like 1

I spent the last 15 years in information security for financial and health care companies and the lesson I learned is that you can never be paranoid enough.

Being paranoid can lead to insanity, but I get what your saying.

We should always be looking out for the bad things that can happen and trying to prevent them from happening.

That may look like paranoia to the typical sleepwalker, but it’s just a logical way to live.

It is important not to come off as paranoid though. That is something people notice, especially the police. You may have nothing to hide, but being on police radar as suspicious is rather inconvenient.

exactly, identifying risk and risk mitigation is key.  Even poor plans can often times help in the absence of any plan at all.  If the first time you have considered "what to do" is when bad things are underway, that's usually called winging it.  Winging it is not often considered a positive condition to use as a platform for success. 

Wife and I stopped at a local mall.  My daughter was a dispatcher for the County and she says that the police refer to it as the "Ghetto Mall".

When I pulled into the parking lot, my wife immediately got out of the car while I opened the rear side door to recover some things to take with us.  While I was bent over into the back seat, I heard my wife talking with someone.

I stood up to see what was up.  I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs.  My wife is 5'2".  we are old, but I don't fit the mold. She said a young guy in a rusted out car pulled up along side of our car and got out.  He told her that she had a nice car.  Then he started walking to her, while saying that "he was going to get a nice car like that".

About this time I straightened up and looked across the car roof at him.  (I am always armed).  I didn't say anything, but just looked at him, and he ran to the mall door.  I am not so foolish to think that everyone is a criminal, but I am also not so foolish that I think everyone is a good person.

Always be vigilant!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is all good advise. I retired from a career in law enforcement 10 years ago. I am amazed at how many people are clueless to their surroundings. Take a moment to look around before you enter a building or get out of your vehicle. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, CalmerThanYou said:

More and more I find myself taking a few moments to observe my surroundings, looking for anything out of the ordinary before I enter parking lot, store, building or event.  I do not pull up tight to the car ahead of me, in the event I need to move away from my position..  I without being obvious check out cars pulling up next to me.

I assume many of you do the same.  Any additional advice or experiences?

After 2 decades, I can't turn it off.  My wife says it must be exhausting. 

• Like 2

I was an officer and learned about situational awareness years ago. My oldest son was convinced I was just paranoid. Till recently that is. 

He works a delivery route that takes him into a bad part of another city at night and he was approached by a homeless person who kept asking him if he had a phone and trying to back him in a corner. Someone else made a noise that broke the attention of the homeless guy and my son jumped in his truck and left. As soon as he got back to his main location, he went straight to the boss and got approval to carry concealed. 

I teased him him a little and reminded him of when he told me I was paranoid and added that the guy could have been backing him into a trap with friends waiting. He said he thought of that as he was leaving. I think he learned his dad wasn’t as paranoid as he thought. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1