I Found This Picture Today Also

DrB

Up in the attic and among other things I found an envelope crumbling and discovered a bunch of photos inside.  I will share them as I have time but I do not wish to bore you folks if not want.  Most are from the 40's to early 50's I guess.

Here is the first.  My Grandfather and Grandmother on the farm side.

Granpa.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I like to see old pics.   Please share them.

Where was the farm at ?

This is my Mother, Grandfather and my Uncle who had just returned from fighting the Japs in 1945.  

My grandparents were farmers in East Texas for their entire lives.  I remember as a small child tagging along with my Grandfather when he was plowing the fields with a Mule and Plow.

pY7DKCyl.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Glad to share.  Eric you can merge this with your old picture thread if you want.  Sorry, I missed that one.

This one I'm not sure of the location.  I do not remember the building in the back but it does look like the old farm though.

Dave.

Horse.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DrB said:

Glad to share.  Eric you can merge this with your old picture thread if you want.  Sorry, I missed that one.

This one I'm not sure of the location.  I do not remember the building in the back but it does look like the old farm though.

Dave.

Horse.jpg

Serious implement being pulled. 

My grandfather had a retired white mule. He was retired and said the mule had also worked hard and was entitled to retire. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The tractor is running otherwise you would have seen some holes in the flywheel.  I remember this tractor and my Grandpa starting it.  You can see the two tanks on the top. Gas was used for starting then you could switch it over to kerosene. Gas tank is the smaller one in the front.  When I drove we just used gas in the tanks. 

To add, that tractor was originally on steel tires and converted to rubber later.  I think the steel still exists.  When I settle the estate I'm going to look and bring them home if I can find them.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DrB said:

The tractor is running otherwise you would have seen some holes in the flywheel.  I remember this tractor and my Grandpa starting it.  You can see the two tanks on the top. Gas was used for starting then you could switch it over to kerosene. Gas tank is the smaller one in the front.  When I drove we just used gas in the tanks. 

To add, that tractor was originally on steel tires and converted to rubber later.  I think the steel still exists.  When I settle the estate I'm going to look and bring them home if I can find them.

Dave..

Interesting.  In my youth the only tractor I ever drove was a Farmall M, the Internet says it was a Model MD because we started it up on gasoline and then switched to Kerosene for the Diesel.  

They wouldn't let me drive the V wheel front tractor since I knew nothing about tractors.  The farm boy, my friend, and I would race them down the dirt road side by side.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Kerosene now costs far more than gasoline or diesel. 

The V-Front tractors are at least as dangerous as the three wheel small ATVs which were once common. Probably more dangerous as they are far more top heavy. 

Rode a John Deere B with the Roll-O-Matic front end all my youth.  You got used to what you could do and could not.  Learning curve, just needed to know what you were dealing with. 

Dave..

• Like 2