The age of single stack sub-compacts

TXUSMC

My recent trips to LGSs have revealed an interesting observation: most customers were looking for something in the single stack sub-compact variety... something light and thin. Semi-autos, or revolvers that could fit the profile. Makes me wonder if the “age” of full size guns has passed. Now, full size handguns will always have their market: duty gun, range gun, and home defense gun. Something with a 4+ inch barrel and 13+ magazine capacity; but more and more gun owners seem to be looking for a package that optimizes size, weight, ergos, concealment, and mag capacity.

There has been evolution toward this development. In Glocks, the 26/27/29/33 were for many years the best in this genre, and were later copied by the S&W in their M&P line. When the pocket gun genre came along, Glock was late to the party... Ruger, not exactly considered visionary in the business, had the early hits with their LCP/LCR lines. I think we’re also seeing more willingness to go with 10+1 or less in mag capacity as folks trend toward the small single stack guns. Women, especially, will find it easier to find a place for the small single stack gun in purse or pocket.

I have no stats to support anything... just a sense that gun buyers are going smaller. YMMV.

21 minutes ago, TXUSMC said:

My recent trips to LGSs have revealed an interesting observation: most customers were looking for something in the single stack sub-compact variety... something light and thin. Semi-autos, or revolvers that could fit the profile. Makes me wonder if the “age” of full size guns has passed. Now, full size handguns will always have their market: duty gun, range gun, and home defense gun. Something with a 4+ inch barrel and 13+ magazine capacity; but more and more gun owners seem to be looking for a package that optimizes size, weight, ergos, concealment, and mag capacity.

There has been evolution toward this development. In Glocks, the 26/27/29/33 were for many years the best in this genre, and were later copied by the S&W in their M&P line. When the pocket gun genre came along, Glock was late to the party... Ruger, not exactly considered visionary in the business, had the early hits with their LCP/LCR lines. I think we’re also seeing more willingness to go with 10+1 or less in mag capacity as folks trend toward the small single stack guns. Women, especially, will find it easier to find a place for the small single stack gun in purse or pocket.

I have no stats to support anything... just a sense that gun buyers are going smaller. YMMV.

I think you are right in the sense that people carrying with little background in firearms, are tending to go for ease of carry and this is small size.

My experience with the women in my extended family that carry, is that the round capacity and caliber have little to do with their choice.  Their choice primarily rests on convenience for carry (read small) and it's ability to fit within the clothing styles they prefer.

What was disappointing to me, was to find that for many women, style dominated over carry!  If the gun didn't fit with the wardrobe, the gun was left out.

I even had a neighbor lady that quit carrying her gun and let her CCW permit lapse because it was so difficult to carry with the clothing styles she preferred.  :(

Of course, my comments are from my habit of, carry is first and foremost!  I dress to fit the gun and not the other way around.  And, I always carry,  always!

I also prefer long slides and larger caliber, with their subsequent greater mag capacity.  I just have these preferences.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tadbart said:

You may be onto something. these days, I carry a Sig P238 most often, backed up by a G41 in the truck. Next on my list is a single stack 9mm Glock.

It's just convenient to carry a small pistol. Dressing around a hog-leg, not so much.

I do dearly like the G41, it is my choice of carry.  In the car is a 20 round backup magazine.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

I do dearly like the G41, it is my choice of carry.  In the car is a 20 round backup magazine.  

It is a LOT of damn gun. If I was working on a tractor or 4-wheeler on my eventual hunk of land, I'd have it on my hip. But for now, it makes a great truck gun. In fact, it's the only weapon I've ever displayed in defense. I definitely felt confident in its ability to deliver accurately and dependably. But to carry to the hardware store or grocer- a bit much for my taste.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TXUSMC said:

Just like the old snubbies, most of these guns will be bought and probably never fired. Or upon being fired, will be sold off because they’re too uncomfortable to shoot and “can’t hit the side of a barn”. 

I already got a G26 for cheap. With some patience I might score me a hellcat the same way too. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

Just like the old snubbies, most of these guns will be bought and probably never fired. Or upon being fired, will be sold off because they’re too uncomfortable to shoot and “can’t hit the side of a barn”. 

I already got a G26 for cheap. With some patience I might score me a hellcat the same way too. 

I have carried, .38 snubbie (S&W 642), G27, .357 2", .357 4", FN 5.7, G41.

You are right!  When fast firing the .38 snubbie, it peeled the skin back for a ways on the web between my thumb and forefinger.

For me, the .38 Special defense loads in a 2" barrel is the worst gun to shoot.  It's painful for rapid shooting.

Every other gun I have carried is far more comfortable.  My all time favorite though, is the 4" .357 Magnum.  I just wasn't happy with 6 rounds.

I am 6'2" and 213 lbs. so it's comfortable for me to carry the larger pistols.

• Like 1

As concealed carry has proliferated, the gunmakers have responded with firearms that are increasingly suitable for that role. Some gunowners don't need or want a double digit round capacity, just 6 to 8 rounds to be able to break contact from an assailant and call 9-1-1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great thing about that G26 is that it will take the 15 and 17 round mags associated with its “cousins”... kept mine for that very reason. Prefer carrying my G43 or G43X, but the 26.3 will get some range time.

One other thing: I’m pessimistic about the future of our gun rights. Magazines larger than 10 round capacity are headed for extinction. At some point, a smaller gun with a 10 rounder may seem a better choice than a larger gun with a 10 rounder. My $.02.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TXUSMC said:

Great thing about that G26 is that it will take the 15 and 17 round mags associated with its “cousins”... kept mine for that very reason. Prefer carrying my G43 or G43X, but the 26.3 will get some range time.

One other thing: I’m pessimistic about the future of our gun rights. Magazines larger than 10 round capacity are headed for extinction. At some point, a smaller gun with a 10 rounder may seem a better choice than a larger gun with a 10 rounder. My $.02.

Possibly so.  I believe that it will be easy to find 10 rounders but hard to find higher capacity mags, so I'm collecting the high round mags first.

Smaller single stack guns are my choice carrying in warmer weather.

When it's colder out and I can wear a coat, sweater or sweatshirt, then I use the larger, thicker double stack handgun.  Both have the place but if you can only have one year around, then a single stack is probably a more practical choice.