Career Advice

tadbart

Gentlemen, I'm at a crossroads, and could use some advice. Things have soured at my current employer, both in a safety manner and in a job enjoyment manner. As many of you know, I work in an ER as a nurse.

The other night, my facility had to close 40 beds upstairs due to lack of staff. This staffing problem has been brewing for over a year, and has reached a boiling point. The concern is, patients keep coming into the ER, but we have no place to put them when they are admitted. Even truly sick patients, ICU and Step-down unit patients, hold in the ER for 24, 36, or more hours. Wait times in our lobby frequently exceed 12 hours. This is a liability and patient satisfaction nightmare.

Currently, I'm in classes to become a Nurse Practitioner. I have five semesters to go. School is my ultimate priority, besides protecting my license. Planning on working in urgent care, or maybe a freestanding ER.

Financially, I do well. No car payments, mortgage is what many pay for a car payment. No CC debt. Decent savings. I also make A LOT of money at my job, all things considered, and only work Fri, Sat, and some Sunday nights.

So, here's the quandary- I want to find another job with less risk and stress. The down side of that, is possibly working more hours for less pay.  Guess I'm trying to weigh pay/schedule with schoolwork.

Please feel free to throw questions, clichés, and any advice my way. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

You are fucked dude. If it ain’t ER, it ain’t ****.

i tried working in a cardiac clinic, once! I was bored out of my skull.

home health was something close to ER, cool wounds.

also liked cardiothorasic ICU.

you could work agency or in an urgent care.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.