For Film Fans Five Came Back 1939 vs Remake Back From Eternity 1956

DrB

Which do you like better and why?  This is one time both are good in my opinion. The 1956 version added the eye candy so that's a consideration but as far as the acting, content and directing what do you think  The original and the remake.  Discuss....

Dave..

I prefer the original Five Came Back.

The horny, jealous males subplot in Back From Eternity didn't move the story ahead at all.

Rod Steiger was  a much better Vasquez than Joseph Calleia.

Back From Eternity seemed to believe that less story and more stars was better than the original.

T'wasn't.

I do like the ending.

Edited by tous
  • Like 2

The thing that make films historical is the present state of society at the time they are made.  You couldn't get the same reaction from a present day movie remake of an old one since the social mores are not the same as now.

In the old films promiscuity or at least the perception of it were shocking to society such as in "From Here To Eternity".  I watch the original movie when it came out and the comments from the audience afterwards related to illicit sexual behavior.  The fact that the behavior was implied, but not shown made no difference back then.

This behavior would now be blown off as normal for many people and have no basis for shock value unless the present day scene were made explicit.

I wouldn't see any value to a movie remake of an old film that was based on the social mores at that time, since it couldn't relate to modern society.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2019 at 2:40 PM, janice6 said:

I wouldn't see any value to a movie remake of an old film that was based on the social mores at that time, since it couldn't relate to modern society.

Not saying that they should be remade again. They can't ..... Different eras.  Both films had their points within the eras. Today to remake these films would not work.

Dave..

• Thanks 2

As much as I like the film, the adolescent, male-wolf interplay between the captain, his first officer and Anne Francis in Forbidden Planet really annoys me.

But, as 6 of janice noted, it was typical for the social mores of the time (1956.)

• Like 2