Humming Bird Feeders

DrB

When living in Oregon used to have two feeders one in the front of the house and another off the deck, they'd feed usually twice a day same time each day, I'd sit very still on the front porch and they'd come right up to my face, they are attracted to bright colors so they also fed on the hanging plants, always used the clear nectar sold commercially never tried to make my own mixture. They were very friendly birds and a pleasure to watch and have around they enhanced the property. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are wonderful little critters.  We have very few in our local area probably because few people make an effort to feed them.  I have a Honey Suckle plant that I'm trying to grow on the side of the house that when and if it blooms ( it's very "ify") it will attract one on rare occasion.  Every year it's touch and go as to whether it is dying or not.   (not enough Sun/water,???

I was amazed on one trip to Northern Minnesota.  We arrived at the resort for a weeks stay and for at least half that time the resort was inundated by Humming Birds.  We could sit on the cabin porch and see hundreds at one time.  I have never experienced this before.  Many times I was tempted to break up the constant fighting and squabbling.   It was like having a hundred kids in day care, all pissed that they had to share.

I chalked this experience up to another one of those that occurs once in a lifetime.  They are marvelous birds and so unique.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Many times I was tempted to break up the constant fighting and squabbling.   It was like having a hundred kids in day care, all pissed that they had to share.

I chalked this experience up to another one of those that occurs once in a lifetime.  They are marvelous birds and so unique.

So true.  I watch them fight here even though they have multiple places to feed....

Dave..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I love them, but I don't need one more thing to do around here, so I'm just planting trumpet vines an cardinal flowers and letting them do the feeding for me.

All things considered, this is probably a healthier approach for the birds.

I've had a hummingbird feeder for a few years now, but we only seem to get one or two birds, feeding several times a day. But nothing like what I have seen at some other people's houses where they flock in numbers up to a dozen at a time. FWIW, I've also set up a feeder for orioles, with half oranges on stakes on a feeder, but not one bird has come to it yet. Even my main bird feeder, a large squirrel proof feeder that has usually been busy enough most years to where I have to fill it with 5 pounds of seed every 5 days or so, has seen far less activity this year. We still get the cardinals and finches and other birds, but it seems in far less numbers than in the past. 

I have a covered 6 foot  trough bird feeder under a roof.  I don't see hoards of birds either, but I'm pleased with the ones that do come.  It's busier in the Spring with the Frequent Fliers stopping.

Nothing is so enjoyable as seeing a single Finch sitting up to it's belly in three inch deep bird seed during a rain, and munching, while watching the rain fall outside of the feeder.  They kick seeds out onto the ground under it but I consider that feeding the Squirrels.  They are my "ground crew".

• Like 2

Never minded squirrels feeding on bird food that fell to the ground, part of the process of bird feeding, but I strongly objected to them hanging on the bird  feeder eating the sunflower seeds, couldn't discourage them, persistent little critters, then was told by this bird watcher person to get some cayenne pepper and springle a small amount amongst the seeds b4 putting it out, doesn't effect the birds at all, but surely the squirrels didn't like it at all, within a few days and few tastes of the cayenne pepper they no longer devoured the sunflower seeds it worked perfectly ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried a hummingbird feeder at my house a few years back but never got any visitors.  I put a feeder up on my window at work and have to fill it up 3 times a week.  I enjoy the birds, but the doves come in like hogs at a trough and fling the seed all over.  Oh well.  I'll be gone on vacation for 12 days soon and am worried that they birds will abandon the feeder without me being here to fill it up.  It took a little time for them to find it to begin with.

feeder.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Foxterriermom said:

I tried a hummingbird feeder at my house a few years back but never got any visitors.  I put a feeder up on my window at work and have to fill it up 3 times a week.  I enjoy the birds, but the doves come in like hogs at a trough and fling the seed all over.  Oh well.  I'll be gone on vacation for 12 days soon and am worried that they birds will abandon the feeder without me being here to fill it up.  It took a little time for them to find it to begin with.

feeder.jpg

Cool Feeder.  The birds here would have that drained in less than an hour..

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1