Taurus M380 revolver

usnret

Want a small 380 that's a 'little' more fun to shoot than the LCP I had(didn't like that at all)..seeing a good deal on a NIB M380...anybody own or shoot one?

What do ya think? Have 2 other 380s, not really interested in a 38/357 type snubbie..

It's only slightly smaller (in length only) and not any lighter in weight than an airweight J-frame S&W but it's at least possible that you could fire the underwood Plus+p 90 grain 1200 fps loads out of it, but then you might as well carry a Glock 42 that can chamber the same ammo and has greater ammo capacity, is slightly more compact, yet has a longer barrel and no barrel/cylinder gap.

Taurus M380

Weight: 15.5 ozs.  
Length 5.95” 
Width: 1.35”
Height:  4.80”
Barrel Length: 1.75”
Ammo capacity 6+1

Glock 42
Weight: 13.76 oz. 
Length 5.94 in. 
Width: 0.94 in. 
Height: 4.13 in.
Barrel Length: 3.25 in.
Ammo capacity 6+1

Edited by Borg warner

13 hours ago, Borg warner said:

It's only slightly smaller (in length only) and not any lighter in weight than an airweight J-frame S&W but it's at least possible that you could fire the underwood Plus+p 90 grain 1200 fps loads out of it, but then you might as well carry a Glock 42 that can chamber the same ammo and has greater ammo capacity, is slightly more compact, yet has a longer barrel and no barrel/cylinder gap.

Taurus M380

Length 5.95” 
Ammo capacity 6+1

Glock 42
Length 5.94 in. 
Ammo capacity 6+1

Thanks for the info..I have 2 G42..looking to use this M380 revolver as 'bicycle jersey' type carry..bought it..new, $225...

8 hours ago, usnret said:

Thanks for the info..I have 2 G42..looking to use this M380 revolver as 'bicycle jersey' type carry..bought it..new, $225...

I don't know what "bicycle Jersey" carry is, but I'd be curious to know when comparing the dimensions, how the revolver is more concealable than the auto given the similar size. Can't the G42 be just as easily concealed? and if not, why?

Also I notice I listed the ammo capacity of the revolver as 6+1. it's actually 5 as you probably know.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 5:09 PM, Borg warner said:

Taurus M380

Length 5.95” 
Ammo capacity 6+1

Glock 42
Length 5.94 in. 
Ammo capacity 6+1

Already have a G42..this is for wife to plink and for me to carry in my bicycle jersey pocket or just in my pocket. Yup, similar size and I could just carry the G42..but I wanted a new gun..and the $ couldn't be passed up. Bidding, GunBroker, looking at the $, I didn't think I'd win it..but I did...

Edited by usnret
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got it, shot it yesterday..neat little revolver. Not using the 'moonclips' no problem, spent casing fall out no problem..Loooonnnngggg trigger but that makes it safe, i'm thinkin'...

Happy overall, plus about 1/2 of 'going' price..

IMG_4023.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

Edited by usnret

DAO is typically have heavier poundage for your trigger pull.  The only real solution would be to take the revolver to a competent gunsmith and have the trigger smoothed out.  Then you might enjoy the trigger pull better.  However, it needs to be a competent gunsmith, because they could potentially mess it up as well.  When done well, it makes for a great trigger pull.

23 hours ago, Moshe said:

DAO is typically have heavier poundage for your trigger pull.  The only real solution would be to take the revolver to a competent gunsmith and have the trigger smoothed out.  Then you might enjoy the trigger pull better.  However, it needs to be a competent gunsmith, because they could potentially mess it up as well.  When done well, it makes for a great trigger pull.

The trigger is fine, doesn't bother me at all. It's just really long, compared to my Glocks but it's not 'bad', IMHO, just different. Fun little gun tho and it will work when I ride me bicycle just fine. I had a LCP, that was smaller and lighter but it failed miserably the 'FTS' test(FunToShoot)...if I'm gonna own a gun, I want to shoot it and often. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 8:29 AM, usnret said:

Got it, shot it yesterday..neat little revolver. Not using the 'moonclips' no problem, spent casing fall out no problem..Loooonnnngggg trigger but that makes it safe, i'm thinkin'...

Happy overall, plus about 1/2 of 'going' price..

IMG_4023.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

Nice...  Any firearm you like and want to own is good to go..  Glad you like it.

Dave..

• Thanks 1