RMR's Both Eyes Open

Moshe

I prefer to shoot with both eyes open when using anything other than standard sights.  Red dots of any type work well with both eyes open.  You can even have the cap on the forward end of the scope/sight and still hit the target lining the red dot you see in one eye with the target you can see with the other.  

• Like 1

I shoot my Red dot with both eyes open.  I continually try to shoot iron sights with both eyes open, but habit of a lifetime make it more a challenge.  It's constantly on my mind at the range.  I believe that shooting with both eyes open gives you a greater field of view so you are more aware of your surroundings.  I feel this is a significant point in any self defense event. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, Huski92 said:

I shoot with both open. If I am going for a really tough ****, I may close my left eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I close both eyes when going for a tough ****...  :whistling:

Seriously though, I have tried using my red dot with both eyes open and I really like it.  I just naturally shut my left eye when aiming, though, so it is something I need to work hard to overcome.  I definitely acquire the dot and target faster with both eyes open.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:27 PM, janice6 said:

I shoot my Red dot with both eyes open.  I continually try to shoot iron sights with both eyes open, but habit of a lifetime make it more a challenge.  It's constantly on my mind at the range.  I believe that shooting with both eyes open gives you a greater field of view so you are more aware of your surroundings.  I feel this is a significant point in any self defense event. 

I wish I could do it with irons.  My eyesight is not the best for close up without the bifocals, which I hate wearing.  I have refused to wear them all day.  But, I know when I am carrying, they are necessary for a clearer sight picture with being able to focus on irons with the front sight, trying to make the rears blurry. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I wish I could do it with irons.  My eyesight is not the best for close up without the bifocals, which I hate wearing.  I have refused to wear them all day.  But, I know when I am carrying, they are necessary for a clearer sight picture with being able to focus on irons with the front sight, trying to make the rears blurry. 

Yes.  It's a paradox when you get to see the front sight clearly or the target, but have to choose which.  I finally went to a Red Dot on my carry weapon.  It's taking a  little time to adjust to just the dot, but I'm finding it easier since I changed to suppressor sights and can co-witness them.

I bring the rear sight up and then see the Red Dot. As I said before, the field of view with the RDS makes it a  much nicer sight and I do without my glasses.  I don't like to wear them.  It takes a little adjustment to make it work at first.  My RDS has been on now continuously for about three months.  I was concerned about battery life, but so far it's great.  The intensity is auto adjusted to ambient.  

I wear my pistol all the time, so when I go to the bathroom and I pick up the pistol and I  check the dot, I don't want to be surprised if it isn't there.  My wife was bothered by the extra roll of toilet paper on the vanity, until I told her it was a place to put my gun so I didn't have to grasp around the trigger as I picked it up.  She's OK with it now.