Snubby report: Airweight model 442-2

ROB

Having been on a Ruger tear lately, I broke out my two most trusted Smith and Wesson today and headed to the local bullseye range.

The snubby is a 442-2 Airweight, .38sp in the 'Centennial' configuration....meaning enclosed hammer DAO.

The other would be my most senior shooter, a 422 I bought when I turned 21 approx 26yrs ago.

Range was 25 yards, ammo was Black Hills 148gr wadcutters. These are an accurate load for sure, but they can be flakey in snubbies like this one when 600fps from the short barrel and the slower rifling twist (vs Colt) will sometimes cause yawing of the bullet.

I recalled last time I shot wadcutters, this revolver printed low by a tiny bit, but was fine for windage. Today, elevation was right on, but I was about 3" right. Whatever. Maybe I was milking the trigger, maybe I remembered wrong. 

The last five rounds I held center-left with the left edge of the paper splitting my front sight....just over 3", not bad for offhand shooting DAO 15oz snubby.

There were some oblong holes where there was yawing of the slugs, about 5 definite examples, but the outliers of my 45 shot 'group' were just me and the ammo was very consistent overall. Plus, 50 more starline once fired brass goes into the bin when I get home...I have about 3k now.

The gun has about 3k thru it now, not bad mileage for a gun like this. I gave it a deep cleaning before it goes back into my pocket. I have several guns just like this one, from Ruger, Taurus, Colt and a few other Smith's, but this is the one I use every day.

IMG_20170904_140538.jpg

IMG_20170904_140846.jpg

IMG_20170904_141027.jpg

IMG_20170904_150257.jpg

Edited by ROB
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I have a steel framed Bodyguard, well worn from previous owners, but still a great shooter. I like the humbacked J frames and could easily sport a 638 as well as my 442. Ideally, id love to find one of the 2.5" bbl models they were making a few years ago.

21 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

TN, do you prefer the 638 for corrosion protection or do you like the SA option?

Thats a difficult one for me.

I like SS guns , so I guess looks play alot into it. I use both the S/A and D/A when punching paper, but during serious  range training D/A rules.

The 638 is probably the last firearm I would ever get rid of.

• Like 1