Random Political/Social Posting

Eric

White House: No, Trump’s Not Going To Fire Fauci

“What do you think of Fauci?” the president repeatedly worked into his phone conversations over the past few days, the three sources said, as he pulsed his broader network of informal advisers, industry allies, and current staff on their opinions on the news of the day. At one point this weekend, Trump remarked that he’s made Fauci a “star” and that barely anybody would have known who the doctor was were it not for the president putting him front and center in the administration’s coronavirus response, televised press briefings, and media strategy.

“He did not sound bitter about it, I wouldn’t say that,” one of the people familiar with the comments said. “It just sounded like he thought it was worth a reminder.”

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit/2020/04/13/white-house-no-trumps-not-going-fire-fauci/

Edited by Dric902

• Replies 112.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pipedreams

• ChuteTheMall

• Swampfox762

• Schmidt Meister

26 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Trump On Ordering States To Reopen For Business:

The Authority Of The President Of The United States Is “Total”

“It’s almost too easy,” says Christian Schneider, “but if Obama had said ‘the authority is total’ about presidential powers, Sean Hannity would have spontaneously combusted.”

Well, in fairness, so would I. And so would you. And we all would have been right to do so.

Between this nonsense and his tweets this morning, I’m dying to know if his lawyers are BSing him behind closed doors about his authority or if he’s just winging it and expecting them to scrape together some dubious Article II justification later.

(Trump: I’m The Decider On America’s Grand Re-Opening, Not The Governors https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/04/13/trump-im-decider-americas-grand-re-opening-not-governors/)

TRUMP: “When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total. And that’s the way it’s gotta be. It’s total.”

John Roberts is at home right now, rubbing his temples at the prospect of Trump and Barr asking for a ruling that the president can claim emergency authority during a pandemic to do pretty much anything he wants. That decision should be 9-0. But it won’t be.

If his authority in emergencies is “total” — and again, it isn’t — how can he say “I don’t take responsibility at all” when asked about the early failure in testing?

Someone on his staff needs to explain to him that claiming “total authority” is going to make it much harder for him to scapegoat Cuomo and other governors for the sustained economic pain when they refuse to reopen on his timetable. Which is what’s coming, and not just among Democratic governors:

[New Hampshire’s Republican Gov. Chris Sununu] noted that it was his local government’s decision “through executive order” to shut down nonessential businesses, transition restaurants to takeout only and ban gatherings of more than 10 people. “All these executive orders are state executive orders, and so therefore it would be up to the state and the governor to undo a lot of that,” he said…

Later on CNN, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan also disagreed with the president’s assessment.

“Well, it’s not my understanding of the Constitution,” he said when he was asked about Trump’s remarks on Twitter. The Republican governor noted that his state was happy for the federal government to “weigh in” and would “love to have the president’s cooperation,” but he said the decision to reopen would come down to “individual governors.”

“Governors made decisions to take various actions in their states based on what they thought was right for their state, based on the facts on the ground, talking with doctors and scientists,” Hogan said. “And I think individual governors who made those decisions will have the ultimate decision about what to do with their states.”

The fear is that he’s going to create a stand-off with governors and doctors who are trying to do the right thing by their people in waiting to reopen until conditions are safer and the economic reboot seems to be more durable. Some people won’t know what to believe, with the president telling them it’s “safe enough” and their governor saying “nope.” Others will let pure partisan idiocy guide their judgment and decide that it’s time to go to work or stay home depending on what their team’s personal tribal authority says. 

Update: He’s already lost Turley.

Pres Trump stated that “When somebody is President of the United States, his authority is total.” The Constitution was written precisely the deny that particular claim. It also reserved to the states (& individuals) rights not expressly given to the federal government.

— Jonathan Turley (@JonathanTurley) April 13, 2020

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit/2020/04/13/trump-ordering-states-reopen-business-authority-president-united-states-total/

I agree (for what little it's worth) that the President has limited powers.  He can claim a national emergency or war powers but that's different.  What I believe Trump is seeing is that the beginnings of our whole country's food chain is starting to waver, and the frightening concept of farmers throwing away rotting crops with an inability to deliver and distribute them, is looming as a very real possibility if this lockdown continues much longer. 

He's between a rock and a hard place in choosing to keep people apart from each other, to restrict movements, to shut down small distribution businesses, travel for supply distribution and to prevent workers from going to jobs for an income. The fear is For fear of a virus, or to keep food coming in spite of the virus.

If he doesn't start to open up the economy soon, we will have to decide which threat is worse.  A virus that's in dispute as to it's lethality, and a collapsing food chain that takes a season to start over but threatens everyone.  The choice is now work for the people to collect a paycheck to pay for food, and a collapsing food chain which will result in inflating prices for food, then the inability to resupply the food for months due to seasonal growth requirements.

The economy will have to take precedence since food will effect more people than the virus, and the choice is very real.  The states that argue for an overabundance of caution on allowing citizens free movement and work don't seem to see the overall regenerative collapse of more than just manufacturing but food supplies also.

This is a real decision with great consequences for all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I agree (for what little it's worth) that the President has limited powers.  He can claim a national emergency or war powers but that's different.  What I believe Trump is seeing is that the beginnings of our whole country's food chain is starting to waver, and the frightening concept of farmers throwing away rotting crops with an inability to deliver and distribute them, is looming as a very real possibility if this lockdown continues much longer. 

He's between a rock and a hard place in choosing to keep people apart from each other, to restrict movements, to shut down small distribution businesses, travel for supply distribution and to prevent workers from going to jobs for an income. The fear is For fear of a virus, or to keep food coming in spite of the virus.

If he doesn't start to open up the economy soon, we will have to decide which threat is worse.  A virus that's in dispute as to it's lethality, and a collapsing food chain that takes a season to start over but threatens everyone.  The choice is now work for the people to collect a paycheck to pay for food, and a collapsing food chain which will result in inflating prices for food, then the inability to resupply the food for months due to seasonal growth requirements.

The economy will have to take precedence since food will effect more people than the virus, and the choice is very real.  The states that argue for an overabundance of caution on allowing citizens free movement and work don't seem to see the overall regenerative collapse of more than just manufacturing but food supplies also.

This is a real decision with great consequences for all.

I agree with your assessment, I disagree with your belief that Trump is seeing it and that’s his reason for being an asshat.

my lovely and long suffering wife has always been a Trumper, and she is under the belief that the virus is real, a concern....and an excuse to push for control and spending. And the next excuse won’t be far away.

• Sad 1

Trump On Why He Re-Tweeted ‘#FireFauci’: ‘I Don’t Know’

President Donald Trump was asked about his weekend re-tweet of a post that included the hashtag “#FireFauci” during the press briefing Monday, to which he replied “I don’t know.”

“I like him,” Trump said of Fauci. “Today I walk in, I hear I’m going to fire him. I’m not firing him, I think he’s a wonderful guy.”

Multiple reporters then asked why he re-tweeted the post that said #FireFauci on Sunday.

“I re-tweeted somebody, I don’t know. They said fire. It doesn’t matter,” Trump replied.

“Did you notice that when you re-tweeted it?” a reporter asked.

“Yeah, I notice everything,” Trump said.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/13/trump-on-firing-fauci-video-coronavirus/

The left is showing its strategy for the election.....get under Trumps skin

Repeatedly declaring his authority over states is "total," President Trump let loose a tirade of grievances and accusations Monday even as governors on both the West and East Coasts made clear they weren't following White House cues and began making plans to ease restrictions to the coronavirus pandemic on a regional basis.

After a weekend fuming and tweeting about what he saw as negative news coverage, Trump staged one of the strangest yet of his near-nightly White House briefings, angrily claiming he had been "brutalized" by the media and playing a White House-produced campaign-style reel of selectively edited video clips of officials effusively praising his efforts.

The often-testy briefing underscored the dissonance between beleaguered state and local officials and medical authorities on the front lines of a public health catastrophe and a president in the throes of a legacy-defining crisis who continues to use a prism of unwavering self-regard, insisting that he "calls the shots" even as he scapegoated others — especially the media — for any problems or delays.

"You're so disgraceful," he told a CBS News reporter who questioned him about his early actions. "You know you’re a fake, you know that."

Trump peppered his comments with inaccurate claims, insisting that "nobody" had asked for ventilators, although numerous governors had repeatedly requested them in the month since he declared a national emergency.

"Everything we did was right," Trump said. "Governors should have had ventilators, they chose not to have them. We chose to get them ventilators. They got the ventilators."

Trump also insisted Monday that he, not governors and mayors, will decide when to "open up the states," a claim at odds with reality but in line with his effort to claim credit for any positive developments while blaming others for any problems.

After leaving it to state and local authorities to order millions of Americans to stay at home, a confused process that has created patchwork rules around the country, Trump tweeted that reopening the economy "is the decision of the President," and not the officials who shouldered the responsibility of closing most schools, shops and nonessential services.

Asked during the briefing which provisions would authorize him to override local officials, Trump was vague. "Numerous provisions," he said. "We’ll give you a legal brief if you want."

"When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total," he said. When another reporter asked him why he believed that to be true, he quickly shushed her — "Enough, please!" he said.

Several governors took a different view of executive authority, signaling Monday that they are working with one another to plan when and how to ease restrictions and reopen local businesses, in part because no federal plan exists 

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-stokes-blame-game-coronavirus-214323014.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9yLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20vX3lsdD1BMGdlS2Vwbk81VmV5QnNBUEtIQkdPZF87X3lsdT1YM29ETVRCeU1qQjBhRzV6QkdOdmJHOERZbVl4QkhCdmN3TXhCSFowYVdRREJITmxZd056WXctLS9SVj0yL1JFPTE1ODY4NjcxNzYvUk89MTAvUlU9aHR0cHMlM2ElMmYlMmZuZXdzLnlhaG9vLmNvbSUyZnRydW1wLXN0b2tlcy1ibGFtZS1nYW1lLWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLTIxNDMyMzAxNC5odG1sL1JLPTIvUlM9Llk3N1J1N2FQMmU0UUNkUGlXU0tCdnVJWHBZLQ&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIxeYE5DUEdP_uL3lhqbR7mwCym-v3ixg8-Hm3LZc0wtIfQXWLWfBRZ4xsIRztZ-W5KckXQhpmf4xwrMOJt-hFAMO06jpsamel20zB0hYrKwg_tUdU01XTF-OMWuz1T0RQowdehxrXn4Cvr0JaNjFNE07-7Gyb7WD7q0oMzo64DW

Trump set to preside over record spending, deficits as coronavirus costs explode

President Trump, with the support of Congress, is poised to preside over an unprecedented explosion of government spending that already is set to shatter deficit records and could grow further if plans for more coronavirus relief bills -- nearing a potential total price tag of $5 trillion -- become reality.

Even accounting for inflation, no modern administration has seen such levels of spending, covering everything from FDR's New Deal to recession-era rescues in the early part of the Obama administration

Part of this was unavoidable for the president. Revenues will decline as the economy has tanked, and the $2.4 trillion worth of total coronavirus relief spending Trump has signed into law -- across three separate bills -- was widely seen as a necessary part of the federal government's response to a historic health and economic crisis. That spending may increase further as lawmakers and Trump appear to be seeking much more -- the president wants another $2 trillion package focused largely on infrastructure, and Democrats are seeking a separate $500 billion measure for small business, hospital and local government relief before that.

All told, the total price tag could near $5 trillion if such measures are approved.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:28 PM, Swampfox762 said:

He'll probably miss your post as he's too busy posting article after article.... like we all can't ****** read.  I think he secretly wants to be a "journalist" like jimmy acosta.:D:D

You nailed it!  hahaha

On 4/11/2020 at 11:26 AM, theglock said:

Any chance our resident train driver can explain why the trains that come through my rather rural Texas town around 4 PM on a weekday afternoon blast their horn once or twice at each of our two railroad crossings, but when they come through at 4 AM on a Sunday morning they blast ten or twelve times at each crossing?  Is this behavior taught at railroad school, or is it an acquired action after a few years on the job?

where are you?

what railroad?

main line or single track?

for us, the government mandated PTC nonsense starts blowing for crossings by itself. Other times we blow a lot more around ex wives houses, ex girlfriend houses, train master or road foremans houses.

you do realize that it is different crews. It’s not the same engineer every time.

Pm me if you have any questions

Edited by Dric902

On 4/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, Swampfox762 said:

He'll probably miss your post as he's too busy posting article after article.... like we all can't ****** read.  I think he secretly wants to be a "journalist" like jimmy acosta.:D:D

Oh, you can read....everything that supports your view. 
it’s reality that seem to evade notice over campaign slogans

40 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Oh, you can read....everything that supports your view. 
it’s reality that seem to evade notice over campaign slogans

mamasita, being a "Trumper" like me, probably sees the same "reality" I do.  She just has to live with your ass!!!:anim_lol:

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

mamasita, being a "Trumper" like me, probably sees the same "reality" I do.  She just has to live with your ass!!!:anim_lol:

You should have heard her getting mad at the “total control” and the “we don’t get a check”

most people have spring cleaning, we had spring redecorating. Painted the living room, kitchen, hallway, foyer, two bedrooms. Donated the living room furniture and got new.....now she wants new carpet.

the ‘stay at home’ order is driving her nuts

(and living with my essential ass)

• Haha 1