Georgia police defend tasing 87-year-old grandmother

pipedreams

22 minutes ago, fortyofforty said:

Without more information, I hesitate to jump on the media bandwagon and second-guess what the officer involved did.

This why my original statement.

"Rather a sad story all the way around."

We don't know what was going on but I have a hard time imaging a woman almost 90 creating a major threat unless she had a bomb strapped on. 

What was the officer's cause for approaching/speaking to her in the first place? She was outside her house cutting weeds. Where's the incident? If I'm on my own property and you have no cause to engage me, LE or not you don't get to tell me to drop my knife.

I'm not saying he didn't have cause. Just the article never goes there, at all. Maybe she was the prime suspect in a Depends heist or something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grabbrass said:

What was the officer's cause for approaching/speaking to her in the first place? She was outside her house cutting weeds. Where's the incident? If I'm on my own property and you have no cause to engage me, LE or not you don't get to tell me to drop my knife.

I'm not saying he didn't have cause. Just the article never goes there, at all. Maybe she was the prime suspect in a Depends heist or something. 

It's all in the links, " often cuts dandelion greens that grow in the wild near her house in Georgia. She tosses them with garlic and lemon to make a salad common in her ancestral homeland, her grandson said. "

"On the afternoon of Aug. 10, Ms. Bishara ambled across the street from the house in Chatsworth she shares with her husband, who is in his 90s, with the knife in her hand, her grandson, Stephen Douhne, said on Friday.

She has trouble walking at her age, and speaks very little English, he said.

An employee at a Boys and Girls Club spotted her on an overgrown section of the club’s property and called the police, a Chatsworth Police Department report said. Ms. Bishara ignored commands from the officers to drop the knife and stop walking, it said."

2 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

It's all in the links, " often cuts dandelion greens that grow in the wild near her house in Georgia. She tosses them with garlic and lemon to make a salad common in her ancestral homeland, her grandson said. "

"On the afternoon of Aug. 10, Ms. Bishara ambled across the street from the house in Chatsworth she shares with her husband, who is in his 90s, with the knife in her hand, her grandson, Stephen Douhne, said on Friday.

An employee at a Boys and Girls Club spotted her on an overgrown section of the club’s property and called the police, a Chatsworth Police Department report said. Ms. Bishara ignored commands from the officers to drop the knife and stop walking, it said."

Probably a paring knife.

• Like 1

When these type threads pop up I find myself in agreement with LE ninety nine times out of a hundred.  This is that one hundredth time.  Tazing an 87 year old?  Come on, if you're in LE and you can't avoid an 87 year old woman you then you might be in the wrong line of work.

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

I'm sensing a lot of bravado from people behind the safety of their keyboards.

Curious which of you has actual experience being a pin cushion?  Just asking.      

I'm 55 and I feel pretty certain there aren't any 87 year old women I can't avoid if needed.

• Haha 1

Just now, Wyzz Kydd said:

When these type threads pop up I find myself in agreement with LE ninety nine times out of a hundred.  This is that one hundredth time.  Tazing an 87 year old?  Come on, if you're in LE and you can't get avoid an 87 year old woman you then you might be in the wrong line of work.

I wonder how menacing she was. Thrusting the knife towards the cop, growling, lunging, ninja moves. Maybe holding it by the blade, ready to make a throw. Yeah, I can see how she needed to be taught a lesson.

Just now, Wyzz Kydd said:

I'm 55 and I feel pretty certain there aren't any 87 year old women I can't avoid if needed.

Be happy about that.  Civilians have the luxury of just ignoring a situation and walking away.

If you couldn't walk away, what exactly would you have done?  Specific act by act.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

I'm sensing a lot of bravado from people behind the safety of their keyboards.

Curious which of you has actual experience being a pin cushion?  Just asking.      

I took a butcher knife away from a guy that was threatening me with it. Then kicked his ass. Also took a hookaroon away from a fellow worker that attacked me with it in a shingle mill. I should have beat him with the handle. I had a hold of the sharpened head that he had buried in my leg. Instead I threw it behind me and, wait for it, kicked his ass.

1 minute ago, Walt Longmire said:

I wonder how menacing she was. Thrusting the knife towards the cop, growling, lunging, ninja moves. Maybe holding it by the blade, ready to make a throw. Yeah, I can see how she needed to be taught a lesson.

Last time you were a pin cushion?    

Just now, Walt Longmire said:

I took a butcher knife away from a guy that was threatening me with it. Then kicked his ass. Also took a hookaroon away from a fellow worker that attacked me with it in a shingle mill. I should have beat him with the handle. I had a hold of the sharpened head that he had buried in my leg. Instead I threw it behind me and, wait for it, kicked his ass.

I love it!      

5 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

Be happy about that.  Civilians have the luxury of just ignoring a situation and walking away.

If you couldn't walk away, what exactly would you have done?  Specific act by act.   

3 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Kicked her ass.

Then we'd be in a thread about how LEOs kicked a grandma's ass!  

Another case of damned if the LE do, damned if they don't.    No win for Blue.  

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PATCHMAN said:

Sure.

Maybe knocked on the door of whoever called it in?

Mime putting something down.

Be patient and see where she goes. She’s 87 and there’s no car, so it’s doubtful she traveled very far.  

Above all be patient, maybe just observe. What’s the rush, is she charging them with a knife in one hand and dandelions in the other? As I said earlier if you can’t avoid an 87 year old LE is probably the wrong line of work for you.

At 87 just falling down could be fatal, so tasing seems excessive. Clearly you’re onboard with it, you definitely don’t take crap from anybody. 

If she had a gun I would feel differently, and yes I’ve been cut. A straight razor in Manhattan back in the 70s. It wasn’t fun.

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Ok, I didn't dig deeper than the article linked in the OP.  It makes it sound like she was on her own property: "A police department in Georgia is defending its decision to tase a 87-year-old grandmother who was cutting dandelion greens outside her house." Nothing in the OP article explains she had crossed the road and was on another's property.

Fake-ish news.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Grabbrass said:

Ok, I didn't dig deeper than the article linked in the OP.  It makes it sound like she was on her own property: "A police department in Georgia is defending its decision to tase a 87-year-old grandmother who was cutting dandelion greens outside her house." Nothing in the OP article explains she had crossed the road and was on another's property.

Fake-ish news.

Typical news story written with a lot left out.  Didn't sound like she was doing much other than crossing the street  "onto an overgrown section of the club’s property".  Still wonder why the employee called the police.

Edited by pipedreams

i heard she was fluent in jeet kung do   and had reflexes of a  sloth ,    i  think pretty much everyone not in LEO  in that town are laughing their asses off.  i mean 

whats the rule ive read  cover 21 feet in 3 seconds ?   if you cant handle a old woman turn in man card to the the right . you would think the florist  member would take her side lol

FearlessUglyAldabratortoise-size_restricted.gif

Edited by ASH