Anyone load .44 Specials to "Keith" levels?

fortyofforty

• 3 months later...

I have not done so myself but I love reading the history of these type cartridge developments and have always found it fascinating. Beside this particular example another good cartridge development read is the development of hot .45 Colt loads leading to the .454 Casull. 

Before the internet when all our knowledge came from Guns and Ammo and a few other assorted periodicals I do remember some letters to the editor directed toward Keith that condemned his obsession with power. I didn't come of shooting age until the 70's but immediately latched onto the writings of Keith, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan and a few others. They were all proponents of more power than contemporary cartridge wisdom held with the shooting public. The great limiting factor then was of course design and metallurgical technology and to some extent powders and bullets.

But we are in a golden age now, and men like Keith helped blaze the trail to get where we are today.

Keith was an amazing man. Much like Cooper and Jordan. They paved the way.

I recently purchased a 686 plus. Always wanted an 86 and love it.

But anyway. Nothing wrong with a sweet shooting 44 special! That round is almost as unapreciated as .41 magnum.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.