Red dot on pistol newbie

Cougar_ml

So I ordered a Shield RMS to go on my canik TP9-SFx pistol (comes from the factory optics ready), it should be here monday.

I'm wondering if there is anything I really need to know, is it much different from using a red dot on a rifle?  Any tricks for installing them or whatnot that might be good to know ahead of time?

I had training in the army for the M68CCO on M-16s (went to a class for it to be the unit trainer, then had CMDR/SGM that didn't want the expensive stuff to leave the arms room, so never really got to train anyone on it)

(went with the Shield RMS because it's got the channel in the middle that, if everything lines up, can be used in place of a rear sight, which the Canik loses when you change to a red dot)

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:53 AM, Cougar_ml said:

So I ordered a Shield RMS to go on my canik TP9-SFx pistol (comes from the factory optics ready), it should be here monday.

I'm wondering if there is anything I really need to know, is it much different from using a red dot on a rifle?  Any tricks for installing them or whatnot that might be good to know ahead of time?

I had training in the army for the M68CCO on M-16s (went to a class for it to be the unit trainer, then had CMDR/SGM that didn't want the expensive stuff to leave the arms room, so never really got to train anyone on it)

(went with the Shield RMS because it's got the channel in the middle that, if everything lines up, can be used in place of a rear sight, which the Canik loses when you change to a red dot)

It takes a little more training than with red dot mounted long arms.  On a rifle or a shotgun, you brace that stock against your shoulder and your eyes practically fall onto the optics (if you have the correct mounting height, that is). 

On a pistol, until muscle memory kicks in (and every gun holds differently, right?), you'd need to reference the front sight.  When I first used red dot on pistol, I was like, "WTF, over?  Where is the red dot?  Why do I have to hunt for it?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am pretty new to reddots, or at least the micro dots. 

I consider myself pretty old school when it comes to guns. I like my guns steel, my stocks wood, and my sights iron. My Dad is in his 70's now and kind of had to scale back on his shooting a bit. I know he has trouble seeing his sights, and wore an optical device on his shooting glasses for the last 10 years. I got it in my mind that maybe he would like to try shooting a pistol with a reddot on it, so I bought both a pistol and a sight for it.

It was a real trip the first time I shot it, but I got it on paper easy enough. So far though, he has been unwilling to try it. It's a cool device that adds minimal weight, and would be worth it to keep an old man shooting. I'm not yet sold on the idea of them myself. 

I got the sight on the pistol.  Took me a couple days to figure out exactly what screws to go buy to install, because the first trip I went to get some at the hardware store and farm store, none of the screws threaded in very far.  At most they'd go 2 turns before getting really tight, so I was concerned. 

I emailed Canik about it, never got a response back.  Finally found one online store had a set of screws they labeled as for the sight I was using, so I went out and bought a pair locally.

I don't really like how the screws get tight so quickly when threading them in, but they are steel helicoils in aluminum, so I don't think I'll have any issues, and I doubt they will loosen up on their own even without blue loctite (though I'll put some of that on later)

Due to the high fire danger here I haven't yet had a chance to go out and zero the sight, but I do really like how it looks and feels.  Now I'll just have to get used to picking up that red dot quickly.  I think I also need to get a suppressor height front sight to co-witness with the red dot.  I plan to use this both as a house gun and CCW, so having mechanical backup to the pretty red dot is important to me.  That and I expect to have a suppressor for it within the next year, so there is that also.

Edited by Cougar_ml
spelling

20180817_184454.thumb.jpg.907add436b9e3889daf4491373476781.jpg

Here is what it's looking like right now.  I like the olight with how quickly it attaches and detaches, but it aiming down slightly is bugging me.  It does the same thing on my glock, the insert to catch the rail slot is a little too tall so I'll probably file it down a little it maybe just layer some electrical tape at the back to get it aligned better.

Which MOA did you order?  The bigger the number the larger the dot.  6 MOA is great for Steel Challenge or GSSF Matches.  It makes for quicker site picture and shots, but may cover the entire target when shooting at 50 - 75 yard targets where a 3 MOA with its smaller dot may be better

I got the 4 moa Shield RMS.  It wasn't a brand that I had ever heard of before, so I did a little research and found out they've been selling here in the U.S. for a long time under other brand names.  Finally selling the newer model under their own brand name.  They offer 4 and 8 MOA, as well as a 1 MOA model for use on rifles.

Most places had it for $430-$450, Lonewolf had them for $350 shipped, so I decided to try it out.  No on or off buttons.  No buttons of any type actually.  So far in every lighting situation I've tried the dot has shown up very well.  Battery is supposed to last 2-3 years of normal use, as much as 4 if kept in dark storage.  This was the main selling point for me, as I don't ever want to grab a pistol and forget to turn on the optics or fumble around trying to do so.

Here is the manufacturer's website and all the red dot options.

http://www.shieldpsd.com/shop-2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, windowasher said:

Great info, thanks!!  Keep us posted on how it performs

As soon as it rains around here and the fire danger goes down I'll play with it some.  I'm too cheap to drive to an indoor range or a gun club around here since I have my own 300 yard range at the back of the property.  With how the weather has been looking it might be a month or more before I get to go try it out.  

On 8/24/2018 at 4:01 PM, PNWguy said:

Just be like the morons over here who last year, during high fire danger, decided to shoot tannerite targets in the woods...

Considering I live in the woods, and I'm surrounded by hundreds of square miles of forest, I think that I will pass on that.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow, but that won't be enough to soak everything and reduce the fire danger enough to go out shooting yet.  Probably going to be a few more weeks still.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 12:53 PM, Fnfalman said:

It takes a little more training than with red dot mounted long arms.  On a rifle or a shotgun, you brace that stock against your shoulder and your eyes practically fall onto the optics (if you have the correct mounting height, that is). 

On a pistol, until muscle memory kicks in (and every gun holds differently, right?), you'd need to reference the front sight.  When I first used red dot on pistol, I was like, "WTF, over?  Where is the red dot?  Why do I have to hunt for it?"

?

This!  I don't care for optics on pistols, but I'm fairly familiar with them.  Presentation is everything or you'll find yourself hunting for the dot.

I realized that my sights were getting blurry during GSSF matches even after new glasses so I installed a cheap reflex sight on my G29 to try out...

IMG_20180406_181001487.thumb.jpg.e1bdf1646871cb9fe6514130311f202f.jpg

I discovered that it was my new glasses that made everything blurry.  But I did shoot a match with the reflex sight and I did no better or worse than normal.  I've been meaning to remove the sight since it doesn't make sense for a woods gun, but I've been surprised at how durable it's been this summer.  Still holds zero and no issues.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So first range report on the Shield RMS...

Took me 2 shots to get it zeroed.  Fired a total of 30 shots.  No issues so far.  

I've looked through the sight at night, and during full sun.  Dot shows up about the same to me no matter what the conditions are compared to the background, so I'd say whatever they are doing for automatic brightness it's working exactly how it is supposed to.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, Cougar_ml said:

So first range report on the Shield RMS...

Took me 2 shots to get it zeroed.  Fired a total of 30 shots.  No issues so far.  

I've looked through the sight at night, and during full sun.  Dot shows up about the same to me no matter what the conditions are compared to the background, so I'd say whatever they are doing for automatic brightness it's working exactly how it is supposed to.

On Trijicon RM01 if I am in a very dark room and turn on the weapon light, the dot washes out for a short time. That so far is my only complaint with it.

Mine is a gen 1 so I don't know if the gen 2 models do this, but it is a flaw in the first gen auto adjust models.

Glad to hear it is working out for you.

Edited by Mike
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Samfamaz said:

Did the RMS rear slot line up with the front sight enough to be usable? 

Good enough for combat distance, front sight is just a little bit low to line up properly, I'm sure if I look around I could find some sort of solution, but at this point it's more of a play gun than anything else.

Biggest issue I've had carrying it is the amount of dust and crap that builds up on the lens.  It still works well enough, but my OCD dislikes it.

48 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Biggest issue I've had carrying it is the amount of dust and crap that builds up on the lens.  It still works well enough, but my OCD dislikes it.

Noticed that with my new G19 set up.

Then this last night when I realized I had left my pistol in the SUV for a few hours in 20 degree weather...

UfOcI0XOSdSuWPpcAZQAQw.jpg.dbd2952ddb2b2e065c029e1abf77d1c2.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, PNWguy said:

I realized that my sights were getting blurry during GSSF matches even after new glasses so I installed a cheap reflex sight on my G29 to try out...

IMG_20180406_181001487.thumb.jpg.e1bdf1646871cb9fe6514130311f202f.jpg

I discovered that it was my new glasses that made everything blurry.  But I did shoot a match with the reflex sight and I did no better or worse than normal.  I've been meaning to remove the sight since it doesn't make sense for a woods gun, but I've been surprised at how durable it's been this summer.  Still holds zero and no issues.

I would recommend a Suppressor height front sight, in the event the optic fails.  I prefer to put a Suppressor Height Rear, then Red Dot, then Suppressor Height front sight, that way I can look completely through the rear and front sight in the event of catastrophic failure.  Also, I have been trying to train my eye, once the Red Dot is properly sighted in to shoot with both eyes open to focus on the red dot.  It is a bit of a hat trick with bi-focal glasses.  I should be wearing them now, but I really don't like them except for close up vision.