Outstanding Animation of A Glock Firing & Cycling

Eric

• Administrators

The folks at Lone Wolf Distributors have gone to a lot of trouble to create an absolutely beautiful and extremely detailed animation of a Glock pistol firing and cycling a new round. Whether you are familiar with the workings of a Glock action or not, I think you will enjoy the video. The video looks great when viewed in full screen mode. The level of detail is amazing.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I need to watch it a LOT more to really understand what's going on. You have to admire Glock for getting this all to work. I don't know how the mechanism that operates it compares to the HK striker action that came before though. Not sure how much Glock borrowed from others in "inventing" the Glock.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very good video, probably the best/most accurate I've seen.  A few notes:

1. If you're trying to learn the basic Glock system you need to be aware that some of the parts in the video are aftermarket--after all it's from Lone Wolf, who makes Glock aftermarket parts. The trigger, for example, in some views, shows an adjustable overtravel stop which is not characteristic of the factory part.

2. The video shows the firing pin still in the fully forward position at the end of rearward slide travel. This is correct only when the slide is operated slowly.  In practice, the abrupt stop as the slide hits the end of rearward travel will cause the momentum of the firing pin to carry it back behind the breechface and allow the firing pin safety to reset.

3. This video accurately shows that the slide motion fully resets the trigger before significant compression of the firing pin spring occurs when there is nothing holding the trigger back.  Many videos show the trigger resetting and the firing pin spring compressing at the same time. The trigger spring is a lot weaker than the firing pin spring so it loses the battle and the firing pin spring doesn't compress significantly until the trigger stops moving forward. Of course, in most cases, the shooter's finger is still on the trigger and in that situation, striker spring compression begins as soon as the trigger bar catches the firing pin lug as the slide comes back forward.

4. Although the video properly shows it, there is no mention of the second function of the connector "cam" on the inside surface of the slide. That second function is to help prevent out-of-battery firing. The cam disconnects the trigger from the connector until the slide is nearly fully into battery.

5. The animation shows the barrel staying motionless until after the bullet leaves the bore. In reality, as soon as the bullet starts to move, the barrel/slide would begin to move as well. Newton's Law and all that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/27/2017 at 9:46 PM, JohnKSa said:

This is a very good video, probably the best/most accurate I've seen.  A few notes:

1. If you're trying to learn the basic Glock system you need to be aware that some of the parts in the video are aftermarket--after all it's from Lone Wolf, who makes Glock aftermarket parts. The trigger, for example, in some views, shows an adjustable overtravel stop which is not characteristic of the factory part.

2. The video shows the firing pin still in the fully forward position at the end of rearward slide travel. This is correct only when the slide is operated slowly.  In practice, the abrupt stop as the slide hits the end of rearward travel will cause the momentum of the firing pin to carry it back behind the breechface and allow the firing pin safety to reset.

3. This video accurately shows that the slide motion fully resets the trigger before significant compression of the firing pin spring occurs when there is nothing holding the trigger back.  Many videos show the trigger resetting and the firing pin spring compressing at the same time. The trigger spring is a lot weaker than the firing pin spring so it loses the battle and the firing pin spring doesn't compress significantly until the trigger stops moving forward. Of course, in most cases, the shooter's finger is still on the trigger and in that situation, striker spring compression begins as soon as the trigger bar catches the firing pin lug as the slide comes back forward.

4. Although the video properly shows it, there is no mention of the second function of the connector "cam" on the inside surface of the slide. That second function is to help prevent out-of-battery firing. The cam disconnects the trigger from the connector until the slide is nearly fully into battery.

5. The animation shows the barrel staying motionless until after the bullet leaves the bore. In reality, as soon as the bullet starts to move, the barrel/slide would begin to move as well. Newton's Law and all that.

KohnKSa,

I can see you spent some time looking at the video, thank you for the feedback.

1. Yep, nothing Glock in this video but function is still the same. LWD paid for the video, of course we used our stuff

2. Correct with Glock Gen 1-4, good eye. The Glock 42, 43 and Gen5 are different. Added material to the new trigger housing deactivates the safety plunger a second time. Abrupt stop as the slide hits the end of rearward travel moves the firing pin rearward and in a fraction of a second the firing pin spring moves it forward thus unwanted contact between the firing pin and safety plunger. The amount of force and over time can make one or both parts unsafe. The new trigger housing with the raised angel edge (just like the trigger bar) allows the firing pin free travel all the way to the breach face thus expanding the life of both parts.   

That being said:

If you look at the video 4:17-4:28 you can see the safety plunger black to its downward position (blocking the firing pin). 4:30 you can see the firing pin engaged with the safety plunger. Is that impractical? Maybe, but at least you know when (in the video) the firing pin is moved rearward.

3. Thank you and you are correct

4. The connector cam already did it’s job when the slide moves rearward allowing the trigger “kick up” to move up and block the firing pin tab. Now that the slide is moving forward, the connector cam is more of a hinder in slowing the slide speed down then anything. That is why they machined a ramp in the slide instead of another hook for a lack of better words.    OR   The ramp is now allowing extra time to make sure the trigger kick up will engage the firing pin tab. It is the responsibility of the three (connector tab, kick up and safety plunger) to not allow out-of-battery firing.

5. Weight of recoil spring holding the slide in battery. The strength of the mag spring and the amount of rounds in the magazine. The type of ammo used, light or +P+, is all a factor in your statement but we are talking about a fraction of a second here. I looked up some videos on youtube “slow motion glock firing”. No videos give enough evidence to say yes or no.

No tone at all in my response, just giving my stand on it. Glad you like the video, hope you get to use it in the future. 

The Glock 42, 43 and Gen5 are different. Added material to the new trigger housing deactivates the safety plunger a second time. Abrupt stop as the slide hits the end of rearward travel moves the firing pin rearward and in a fraction of a second the firing pin spring moves it forward thus unwanted contact between the firing pin and safety plunger. The amount of force and over time can make one or both parts unsafe. The new trigger housing with the raised angel edge (just like the trigger bar) allows the firing pin free travel all the way to the breach face thus expanding the life of both parts.

Very interesting--thanks for the explanation.  I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time with the 42, 43 or Gen 5 guns.  I've contemplated purchasing one just to get a feel for how they work. I did get to detail strip a G43 on one occasion but didn't get to pore over it.

The connector cam already did it’s job when the slide moves rearward allowing the trigger “kick up” to move up and block the firing pin tab.

Correct.  However, if the slide stalls far enough out of battery (far enough that the barrel is unlocked), the rear of the slide cam is still flexing the connector to the left far enough to take it out of contact with the trigger bar.  This disables the trigger and prevents the gun from firing even though the trigger has reset and the trigger bar is back in engagement with the firing pin tab.  If you have access to a cutaway, you can see this happening.

5. Weight of recoil spring holding the slide in battery. The strength of the mag spring and the amount of rounds in the magazine. The type of ammo used, light or +P+, is all a factor in your statement but we are talking about a fraction of a second here. I looked up some videos on youtube “slow motion glock firing”. No videos give enough evidence to say yes or no.

Running the numbers demonstrates that the recoil spring has little effect on slide velocity, particularly early in the slide travel.  The mass-velocity product of the ejecta (bullet and powder gases) will be virtually identical to the mass-velocity product of the recoiling mass (slide/barrel) although it is true that the recoil spring force, friction and other effects will change the motion of the recoiling mass slightly initially.   Ammunition with higher momentum will result in faster slide velocity. 

Conservation of momentum demands that as soon as the bullet begins to move, that the recoiling mass will also begin to move.   You are correct that the motion during bullet travel in the bore is quite small since the mass of the bullet is quite small compared to the mass of the slide/barrel combination.  It can be seen in some slow-motion videos, but generally only very high-speed videos that are zoomed on the muzzle of the gun.

Here's one showing the 1911--admittedly a different gun but certainly the same basic operating system (locked breech, recoil-operated).  Starting the video at 2:14 reveals several frames showing motion of the slide/barrel before the bullet exits.

No tone at all in my response, just giving my stand on it. Glad you like the video, hope you get to use it in the future.

No offense taken, and my reply is offered in the same spirit.  I have used the LWD video on other forums as an example of how the system works, and to point out the flaws in videos from sources who haven't put the same attention into detail and accuracy that LWD has.

Edited by JohnKSa
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Eric unpinned this topic