PCP Air guns

jmohme

With todays bat **** crazy gun grabbers, I am really thinking about a PCP air rifle. I have been looking at some of the .357 models, but probably will get my feet wet with .22 or .25 caliber.

I have no intention of giving up my traditional firearms, but really think having an alternative that is not subject to the high ammo and reloading component prices and availability.
Plus it would be nice to have a slightly quieter gun for back yard target practice. I know they are far from silent, but still quieter than any of my bolt actions
Anyone else?

• Like 1

I bought me an Airsoft. 177, Plastic pellet... .45 Blowback, 350 FPS pistol.  Just for screwin around every day.  Practice lookin down a pistol site, and still feeling I'm shootin a pistol.  Been a lot of fun and still gives me "Sight Practice".  I can shoot it in my back yard too, though it does set the dogs off across the street.  

10 hours ago, jmohme said:

Anyone else?

I have an Airforce Talon.  They sell baffles for it, because without them, it is just plain loud.  But, at twenty five yards, I can outshoot my 10/22 (and the 10/22 is scoped and the Talon has cheap fiber optic sights).  I took it to the range one time and with the tank being the stock, the old timers were doing their, "What the heck is that," routine. 

g34Talon.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

PCP's are fun to shoot, but keep in mind you will either need a hand pump-lots of physical work-or an air tank to fill it.  

I have one, its a Hammerli Pneuma.  .22.  It shoots about 900 fps.

My RWS 56TH is a spring powered air gun.  No pumps, no visits to the dive shop to fill the tank.  It also shoots about the same velocity in .22.

Hammerli-Pneuma-PCP-Air-Rifle-HA-2251010_lg.gif

RWS 56 round three.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 8:31 AM, norton said:

PCP's are fun to shoot, but keep in mind you will either need a hand pump-lots of physical work-or an air tank to fill it.  

I have one, its a Hammerli Pneuma.  .22.  It shoots about 900 fps.

My RWS 56TH is a spring powered air gun.  No pumps, no visits to the dive shop to fill the tank.  It also shoots about the same velocity in .22.

Hammerli-Pneuma-PCP-Air-Rifle-HA-2251010_lg.gif

RWS 56 round three.PNG

I am using a hand pump right now. Its not a huge problem pumping up the small tank on my PCP, but it will get your heart rate up once you get up around 3000 psi.

Mine takes about 115 pumps to fill from dead empty, but I usually will shoot 50 shots. That drops it to right at 2000 psi, so it doesn't take all that much to top it off to the max of 3625.

I have been shooting the snot out of it, so I am thinking about getting a nitrogen tank to fill it with and just keep the hand pump in reserve for when I am away from the shop or low on nitrogen.

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 1