Contender Help Questions

DrB

From the other thread, I went and brought my contender home.  Has not been out of the safe for probably 20 years.  I can't get the action open.  Any ideas here?  I have sprayed the action with wd40.  I know, I have let this set way to long in the safe.  No rust anywhere.  Any ideas here?

Dave..

I have never had any of mine get stuck shut, so this is just a guess.

I think the first thing I would try is removing the forend and try to push out the pin that holds the barrel in place and see if you can get the barrel separated from the frame.

15 hours ago, jmohme said:

I have never had any of mine get stuck shut, so this is just a guess.

I think the first thing I would try is removing the forend and try to push out the pin that holds the barrel in place and see if you can get the barrel separated from the frame.

I got the forend off.  Then it opened.  I put Pachmayr Grips and forend  on it.  I'm guessing the rubber may have swelled through the years.

What is the trick on getting the pin out?  It is held in by a detent or something?  I do not want to force it.

Dave..

3 hours ago, jmohme said:

The pin should tap out. no detent. It is just a smooth pin.

I have a 5/16 flat punch and just tap it with almost anything. usually just the handle of the driver that I used to take the forend off.

Thanks, I will give that a try in the morning.  I am tired now and lord only knows I would scratch something up badly messing with it tonight. 

Dave..

10 hours ago, jmohme said:

Unless there is rust, you really shouldn't need any penetrant on the pivot pin to get it loose.

No rust, the pin wiggles but I did not want to force it and screw something up.  It is this days project.  I am off work today will give me something to do.  I found the original wood grips and forend so they will be going back on.

Dave..

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, jmohme said:

The pin should tap out. no detent. It is just a smooth pin.

I have a 5/16 flat punch and just tap it with almost anything. usually just the handle of the driver that I used to take the forend off.

I got it apart and cleaned it up a little.  Is this the easy take down version?   What do I have?  I am going to put the wood furniture back on.

It is still sort of hard to open.  When the action is cocked it works fine though.  I bought this in my youth and soon after my life got busy so I don't think it has even 200 rounds through it so if in the future it may loosen up if shot.

Was poking online for a .22 Hornet barrel but the one I saw they wanted $500.00.  Nope....

Thanks much , Dave...

TCA.jpg

TCB.jpg

TCC.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yes, that is an easy open frame. It is either an early version or a pre easy open that was converted. I say this because of the hammer. The later ones had a firing pin selector as seen in the picture. 

Nothing at all wrong with the earlier hammer other than that I was told it was not advisable to add on a spur extension to the earlier hammers as they had a tendency to develop cracks when they were used.

I have both early and later easy open frames. I have not acquired any of the newer generations. The few I handled just did not have nearly as nice a trigger as the originals.

Speaking of triggers. You should not dry fire the Contender without snap caps.

Have fun and be careful. I found that TC Contenders are very addictive.

IMG_0949.JPG

And by the way, there are tons of used Contender barrels on eBay.

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 1

Also, the fact that the action seems stiff is mostly an indicator that you have a really tight barrel lock up. That is not a bad thing at all. These contenders are really quite accurate as long as the pin is not sloppy and the lock up is tight.

IMG_2349.jpg

Edited by jmohme
  • Like 1

Yes the pin is tight is why I asked about getting it out.  I bought this new from a local gun shop that I knew the folks and also worked in the store so nothing has been converted.  I am the only owner.

Here is a picture of the fire formed and loaded 30 Herrett vs. 30-30. Made from 30-30 brass. This thread got me going way back, thanks.

Dave.

30 Herrett.jpg

Edited by DrB
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Here's a 22 hornet contender barrel with forend and scope rings for $175 but that's the Low bid. You might be able to get it for $200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thompson-Center-Contender-TC-10-22-Hornet-Pistol-Barrel-w-Leupold-Mount/124055447873?hash=item1ce247e941:g:PJoAAOSw3iFeJntR

Thanks, I'll watch this.  Bubba made an appearance on the scope mount screw..

Dave..

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Here's a 22 hornet contender barrel with forend and scope rings for $175 but that's the Low bid. You might be able to get it for $200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thompson-Center-Contender-TC-10-22-Hornet-Pistol-Barrel-w-Leupold-Mount/124055447873?hash=item1ce247e941:g:PJoAAOSw3iFeJntR

That 23' carbine barrel must be a bear to shoot one handed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

I regret selling mine, it was a 35 Remington Super 14 and I had not yet begun to buy extra barrels for it which made selling it less painful.

Cut it out guys... Haha...  I have a lot of .35 Remington here and nothing to shoot it in.  Now I'm interested in that...  Thanks....

Dave..

• Like 2