The WAAAYYYY Too Late 2019 College Football Thread

SC Tiger

Looks like Oregon has decided to screw themselves. The pressure to win out seems too much.

I’d say right now as long as LSU wins out and BAMA beats Auburn, I’d say we could pass the eye test vs Oklahoma and Utah. Wouldn’t hurt to see UO beat Utah in the PAC 12 title game.

Georgia will represent the East and LSU the West in the SEC championship game. Georgia faces Georgia Tech before that, however. Suppose Georgia loses to Georgia Tech then beats LSU. Your SEC champ has two loses. Does that take them out of contention for the playoffs? Having lost the conference championship is LSU out of contention? And where is Bama?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Georgia will represent the East and LSU the West in the SEC championship game. Georgia faces Georgia Tech before that, however. Suppose Georgia loses to Georgia Tech then beats LSU. Your SEC champ has two loses. Does that take them out of contention for the playoffs? Having lost the conference championship is LSU out of contention? And where is Bama?

BAMA needs LSU to win out. UGA isn’t gonna lose to Tech cause they’re terrible this year. If UGA beats LSU, UGA would get in and LSU would probably as well based on best 1 loss team scenario and strength of schedule. 

The only way BAMA could benefit from an UGA win is if LSU loses to Texas A&M and then they lose again in the SEC Championship. All of this is based on Alabama beating Auburn in the Iron Bowl. 

Oregon losing was a bad thing for the SEC haters. They were pretty much the only team standing in BAMA’s way. If Oregon had won, then BAMA would have had to beat Auburn with some style points. Oklahoma is real shaky. Baylor and Minnesota aren’t really contenders. Utah is ok but a bad USC loss.  They can make the case Alabama’s schedule hasn’t been good, but Clemson’s has been worse. The ACC is a dumpster fire this year and the SEC is gonna have 4 teams finish with at least 10 win regular seasons. 

Things are shaping up about they way I envisioned.  Oregon is out now.  Baylor and Minnesota are out.   Assuming Bama does it's job and wins big at Auburn the worst case scenario is that Utah beats Oregon and Oklahoma beats Baylor.  Then it's a beauty contest between Bama, Utah and Oklahoma.  The best case scenario is that Baylor beats Oklahoma and Oregon beats Utah.  I think if that happens Bama is in. 

I think the most likely outcome is Oregon beats Utah who is then out of it.  Oklahoma beats Baylor and Bama beats Auburn.  Then it comes down to how does Mac Jones look, how does the Bama D look, and how does the Oklahoma D look.  We know Jalen will look good and do a good job, we have to hope Baylor can open up against Oklahoma like they did last time and not let it slip away this time.   I think Baylor puts up a lot of points on Oklahoma, The Bama D dominates Auburn and Bama gets the 4th spot and a rematch against LSU. 

I have a feeling it’s gonna be a wild weekend. Virginia just beat Va Tech for the first time in 15 years. Now they get to play Clemson for the ACC title and get beat by 3 touchdowns. lol 

How about the Egg Bowl? Only Ole Miss could lose on an excessive celebration penalty moving the extra point back, misses it and sends their arch rival to a bowl game. That’s good **** right there 

• Like 1

I think honesty is the way to go on this post.

We outplayed Auburn, but we lost. This football team has been undisciplined all year with penalties. It's hard for me to believe that just three years ago, we had the best defense in college football. Part of the downturn has been players leaving early for the NFL. The overturn of assistant coaches/ coordinators. When Pruitt went to Tennessee, that began it. 

From an offensive standpoint, awesome. Mac Jones threw two bad passes for pick sixes, but still threw for 335 and 4 TD's and we lost by 3. The future is bright for him next year. Our DC is likely toast this year. I don't think Saban will promote from within anymore. He'll find someone to fix this defense.

This team went 10-2 in a year we lost our best offensive and defensive players for the year. Plus a ton of injuries on both sides. Penalties galor. Played an ass load of true freshman this year cause we had no choice. I'm kinda thankful we didn't make the playoffs cause Clemson and Ohio State would've killed us.

With all that being said, first time since 2014 we've lost two games in a season. First time since 2010 two regular season games. That's pretty damn good in my book. A lot to learn about ourselves and we still got I think a New Years Six bowl game ahead of us. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, railfancwb said:

South Carolina had an interesting season. Beat Georgia, lost to Tennessee, slaughtered by Clemson. Don’t know whether they were plagued by injuries to key players.

SC's current debacle was a known outcome to everyone not associated with that program, when they hired Muschamp.

What you are seeing now was a fixed outcome of that decision.  A predetermined outcome.

I actually don't think Clemson played all that well Saturday.  But we've now broken South Carolina.  They hung their hat on a 5-game winning streak vs Clemson.  Now Clemson has a 6 game streak vs them with no end in sight.  

Honestly it takes the fun out of the win.  Their fans are just......numb.

Edited by SC Tiger

On 11/30/2019 at 8:35 PM, railfancwb said:

Auburn outlasted Alabama 48-45. The tying field goal bounced off the left upright instead.

I haven't seen it yet but the description of that final play was wild.  Apparently they moved the punter to WR, put Nix as a punter protector, and confused the hell out of Alabama.

Auburn keeps wanting to fire Gus but he is one of the few coaches with any success vs the Saban/Alabama machine,

• Like 1

I haven't seen it yet but the description of that final play was wild.  Apparently they moved the punter to WR, put Nix as a punter protector, and confused the hell out of Alabama.
Auburn keeps wanting to fire Gus but he is one of the few coaches with any success vs the Saban/Alabama machine,

Auburn alumni keep searching for a reincarnation of some great coach from their past - Pat Dye maybe?

Not gonna find it, any more than Tennessee will find Neyland again.

Odds are that such a reincarnation couldn’t win much today anyway. At least not within the time alumni would allow to transition from the single wing

If you go back to last 3 Auburn wins, it's always been two things. Veteran o-line and defense. The year after, they lose everything. Auburn loses 4 starters on the line and almost their entire defense, including star d linemen, this offseason. 

Its always some wonky stuff when we lose to them. What gets me is all the haters saying Saban has lost it. We lost by 3 points after scoring 45 points, at Auburn, with a backup QB who did throw two pick sixes, but came back and goes 335 yards and 4 touchdowns. We don't spot them 14 points, we win by 2-3 scores and make the playoffs. What game do these people watch? 

I know a lot of Auburn fans and they still want him gone. He's not consistent enough every year. He pulled off a 9-3 season against a tough schedule and I give him credit for that, but I want to see it next year. And the year after that. He does just enough to save his job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

So tomorrow UGA and LSU meet to decide who the SEC champion for 2019 will be. At a neutral arena, Atlanta isn’t it?

UGA is 11-1 and LSU 12-0 - right?

If LSU wins, how could they not be in the playoffs at 13-0? And UGA at 11-2 would be where?

Latest projections given LSU wins

LSU: playoff

UGA: Sugar

Florida: Orange

Auburn: Cotton

BAMA: Citrus 

I hope BAMA gets the Citrus Bowl vs Wisky, Minnesota or Michigan. Nobody wants to see BAMA vs Memphis in the Cotton Bowl. Unless maybe Boise State got in cause they talked trash saying they could beat us years ago.

12 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Tennessee is bowl eligible this year. Be interesting if they met Memphis in a bowl.

I wanna see Texas A&M and Texas play. They meet the criteria for each other 

I’m just gonna say this. Clemson is gonna repeat. I’m not trying to jinx you  SC, I just think Clemson has got it. Piss on their weak ass schedule. I was gonna root for LSU, but **** that, root for the BAMA grad. 

I’m happy BAMA got the Citrus Bowl vs Michigan. Nothing better than the opportunity to whip Jim Harbaugh’s ass at Disneyworld. I expect the entire SEC and the Big 10 to root for us.

Could be good hire, but based on the last two hires I am a bit underwhelmed.  I think the last two hires made made me more skeptical about the razorbacks football coach.  I am willing to give him a chance and think he could do good, but I also thought the last two hires were ok at the time.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arkansas-hires-georgia-offensive-line-coach-sam-pittman-to-take-over-hogs/

Now that we are to the playoffs, with conference championship games played, I think a major largely unnoticed story is that of quarterbacks who were bypassed for the starting slot at one school, transferred and have done great, and may get to outplay the ones who beat them out. One example...

163946B3-4FA5-4D29-830B-4C3129A35483.jpeg