Comparing Glock 9mm pistols

minervadoe

I made a web page for this.  It's a decent place to start comparing the different flavors of Glock 9mm.  Sorry, I can't get any of the new ones here, so it's just Generation three pistols.

http://chronosscifi.com/threeGlock9mmsVer2.html

Glock offers four Generation three pistols chambered in 9mm. The basic differences are barrel length and ammunition capacity. The Glock 17 was the original full size Glock offered in 9mm. The Glock 19 is a slightly shortened compact version, while the Glock 26 is the subcompact version. On the other end of the spectrum, the Glock 34 and its longer barrel fill the niche for a tactical, competition pistol.

The first Glock I ever handled and shot was a G17 back in 1998. A friend of mine bought one and had me go to the range with him and show him how to load it and shoot it and then I shot some different ammo through it and then he shot some deferent ammo through it.

I thought it was OK but there was a lot about the gun I didn't like, I guess mostly I didn't like the way it felt in my hands. Then years later I got to handle a G19 at a Gun show and I like that a lot better than the G17 and I went out an bought one a few days later. Then I discovered that I could have a larger caliber in the same size gun so I traded the G19 for a G23 and I carried that for a while but the double column gun was too bulky of comfortable 24-7-365 carry.

Then someone showed me a G27 and I tried that on for size in the same holster I carried my G23 in and it was just as uncomfortable for IWB carry. I also looked at a G35 longslide and I kind of liked that but I never liked the G17's or the G22's. 

I'm glad that Glock makes single stack guns now and I think they're better for IWB carry. But I wish they made them in 40 caliber. I'd also like to see them make the G21 and G20 in a single stack and I also like the G20 an deG21 better than the G40 and G41. I like the longslides on the smaller framed guns but on the larger frame it's just too much gun. The G40 and G41 are like crew-served weapons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

... I'd also like to see them make the G21 and G20 in a single stack and I also like the G20 an deG21 better than the G40 and G41. I like the longslides on the smaller framed guns but on the larger frame it's just too much gun. The G40 and G41 are like crew-served weapons.

Here's a photo of my only glock single stack (a Glock 36, pictured center). 

You can see the width's in the table at this link: http://chronosscifi.com/compactGlockWGrid.html

The Glock 26 is  1.18 inches wide, the  Glock 36 is 1.1 inches wide, and the Ruger LC9 is .9 inches.

The Ruger LC9 appears in the table at this link:  http://chronosscifi.com/tableCompareCompacts.html

where you can see that the Glock 43 (not pictured) is 1.02 inches wide.

Glock 26, Glock 36, and Ruger LC9

G36G26LC9WidthMed.jpg

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

Glock offers four Generation three pistols chambered in 9mm. The basic differences are barrel length and ammunition capacity. The Glock 17 was the original full size Glock offered in 9mm. The Glock 19 is a slightly shortened compact version, while the Glock 26 is the subcompact version. On the other end of the spectrum, the Glock 34 and its longer barrel fill the niche for a tactical, competition pistol.

Aren't there FIVE Gen 3s in 9mm? The 17L not count?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

I have owned a few Glocks and the only one I really like is the Glock 48.

If I could get one of these in California, I would own one.  It sounds like a great handgun. 

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/2/26/range-report-glock-48-pistol/

The 48 is, more or less, the “full size’” version of Glock’s popular 43 single-stack subcompact, with a longer grip, a 10-round magazine and a 4.1” barrel. Another way to look at it is that the 48 is a single-stack, thin version of the popular double-stack Model 19, being similar in most dimensions other than thickness (1.10” vs 1.26”).

The trigger broke nicely and cleaner than any factory Glock I’ve handled. The total weight was 5.25 lbs. and a consistent 3.5 lbs. with the slack taken out. Glock has made some real strides here— this trigger was nicer than my Gen 4 model 34 after polishing and tweaking.

There is definitely more movement in recoil than one would feel in a larger Glock, but decidedly less muzzle rise than shooting a subcompact.