Apple just made your iPhone more expensive to fix

TBO

Apple has always dangled the carrot in front of their very dedicated user base and charged very premium prices.   I think if your iPhone battery wears out, you cannot replace it yourself.  With that in mind, I can't justify buying any of their top of the line equipment.  I finally bought one of the cost reduced iPhone SE phones.  For $200 I figure if it goes tits up, I can just say screw it and go back to using burner phones.  

I have an older Dell laptop which needs a new battery.  Dell does not list the battery on their website (that's how long I've had the computer).    I've had good luck with Dells, so I got their cost reduced gaming computer.  More processor speed than I could ever utilize and a hybrid SSD / hard disk setup.  

All of these companies constantly try and up-sell their service contracts, because that is a nice high margin business (especially if customers don't use it).  But, when the battery that you can't replace yourself goes bad and then you have to pay for a repair (or an upgrade), then it just becomes a racket.    .... and IMHO, the batteries on these phones are the most likely to fail item.