Some MTB pics from eastern WA

ROB

I took a bike vacation to the eastern (better) half of the state. I'm staying in the town of Winthrop, a touristy oriented town with an old Western/mining theme to it, popular for biking, hiking, atv, snowmobile, ballooning and hunting/fishing. I've been in this valley over 30yrs and up to recently my family had property here. 

On 9/11, I rode up the Cutthroat Pass, brought my flag along.

IMG_20170911_143809.jpg

IMG_20170911_121649.jpg

• Like 8

Yesterday, Twisp River trail...

I sampled some local micro brew at the hotel. I have the guns and chrono along, but it's really dry here and fire danger is really high. Hoping the weather might cool or bring at least a tiny bit of precipitation so I can knock out some shooting.

IMG_20170912_121635.jpg

IMG_20170911_192235.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2017 at 9:27 PM, RugerCat78 said:

How do you like the wide tires on your bike? Is it easier on the bum?

It's a 27.5+ bike, so not as big as those 4" wide fat bikes, but 2.75"-3".

This bike replaced a 26" dual susp and 26" racing oriented hardtail, so I was shooting for something quick and lighter like the hardtail with more give like the dually.

So yeah, easier on the bum. The low and slow geometry, bigger wheels with more rubber actually rides like the dually, believe it not, but it sticks and climbs like a goat. It's really an awesome bike and much better than I expected. The bigger low pressure tires require more attention to pressures, but once you find the right numbers, it's worth it

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On September 13, 2017 at 6:31 AM, ROB said:

I took a bike vacation to the eastern (better) half of the state. I'm staying in the town of Winthrop, a touristy oriented town with an old Western/mining theme to it, popular for biking, hiking, atv, snowmobile, ballooning and hunting/fishing. I've been in this valley over 30yrs and up to recently my family had property here. 

On 9/11, I rode up the Cutthroat Pass, brought my flag along.

IMG_20170911_143809.jpg

IMG_20170911_121649.jpg

My daughter has the Surly version of that bike and just did a week in some of the canyons in the Texas Panhandle.

Wish I could have come along, but I am not as young and fit as I once was. I guess I need to work on the fit part!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry Rob, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread.  Beautiful area for MTB.  I used to ride and race in the 80s and early 90s.  Life got too busy with work and family to keep training plus we don't have any mountains here. But there were a lot of good wooded trails and some hills. 

I still have my Bridgestone MB-1 with Manitou shox.  

Raced this 9 years in a row.  Mud so thick you had to pedal to get downhill.

https://trailgenius.com/event/chequamegon-fat-tire-festival

Edited by Taco Junkie
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Beautiful pics.  I'm just reacquainting with the road bike after a twenty-five year hiatus from riding.  Once a gain some muscle mass back in my legs, and re-hone my bike handling skills, I hope to get back on the mountain bike too.  Thanks for sharing these pics.  You've got my off-road cycling juices flowing again.

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...