Join the Book Club!

Grabbrass

11 hours ago, KWalrad said:

Carlin was one of a kind. I may not have always agreed with his politics, but he was a genius. And a funny MFer to boot.

The problem with lefty politics is that it eventually consumes you.

My wife and I went to see Carlin at the Warner Theater in Torrington, CT many years ago. In the middle of his show, he went off on a rant about the Christian right. As he kept talking, he was getting angrier and angrier, almost foaming at the mouth, with no attempt at any kind of humor. He seemed out of control, and it went on for several minutes. When he finished, the entire audience just sat there in stunned silence. I never looked at him quite the same way after that.

• Like 3

A great many people are simply emotionally driven.  They are dangerous, since they have little logic to mitigate their extreme beliefs.  To them, the end justifies the means, as many tyrants in history have demonstrated.  If emotion is the only basis for decision, it will inevitably  result in cruelty, violence and domination.

Sanity demands that logic/reason mitigates emotion, or in the end there will only be one person standing.  That person would have destroyed all the others in his zeal to purify the prevailing philosophy to that which he defines.

Logic and reason are the basis for a society that recognizes the rights of all people, rather than the rights of "some of the people".  Some dissension is good.  It is a catalyst for change.  However that dissension must never accept violence as a solution, or it will be the end of a civilized society.

Emotion, as the only foundation, is the means   tyrants use to gain control of the people, and it's never "for the good of the people".

Edited by janice6
spelling
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pistolay said:

The problem with lefty politics is that it eventually consumes you.

My wife and I went to see Carlin at the Warner Theater in Torrington, CT many years ago. In the middle of his show, he went off on a rant about the Christian right. As he kept talking, he was getting angrier and angrier, almost foaming at the mouth, with no attempt at any kind of humor. He seemed out of control, and it went on for several minutes. When he finished, the entire audience just sat there in stunned silence. I never looked at him quite the same way after that.

Pretty much any George Carlin after about 1990 is too political. Back in the late-60's and 70's there's a hippy-dippy lean to his stuff, but he mostly just did funny. I mean, this book club bit is funny. How come other people's stuff is ****, and your **** is stuff??? Funny. Ranting about Desert Storm for two hours? Not funny.