Ordered a new lower...

PNWguy

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-complete-moe-miad-acs-l-ept-lower-receiver-flat-dark-earth-5165449466.html

5165449466a.jpg

I've always wanted an AR-10 but couldn't justify the cost.  Got a Daily Deal alert from Palmetto State Armory on this lower with Magpul FDE furniture for $149 shipped.  Ordered it without hesitation.  Now to decide which way to go for the upper; 20" tackdriver or an 18" or less brush gun... 

Edited by PNWguy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PNWguy said:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-complete-moe-miad-acs-l-ept-lower-receiver-flat-dark-earth-5165449466.html

5165449466a.jpg

I've always wanted an AR-10 but couldn't justify the cost.  Got a Daily Deal alert from Palmetto State Armory on this lower with Magpul FDE furniture for $149 shipped.  Ordered it without hesitation.  Now to decide which way to go for the upper; 20" tackdriver or an 18" or less brush gun... 

Maybe...…………….. 6.5mm Creedmoor???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Citra47 said:

Maybe...…………….. 6.5mm Creedmoor???

Still not sure which direction to go...  I was very, very tempted to go with a .450 Bushmaster upper for my SR556 because I had a legitimate need for a thumper carbine for exploring the woods, a role which my Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt fills already.

I've always viewed the .308 as a do-it-all cartridge for hunting, but I moved to Washington state just across the border from Idaho where I grew up hunting and have not gone big game hunting in a few years.  I have a Ruger M77 in .30-06 that will take down anything around here should I decide to hunt again.

So, I could build it as a long-range paper puncher, in which the .308 is good, and the 6.5 Creedmoor even better.  It would be just for fun and the occasional coyote hunt.

Or, I could build it as an alternative woods exploring carbine/SHTF zombie gun with considerable more punch than the Marlin.  Not sure I've ever seen a 16"  .308 upper; maybe for a reason...

2 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Still not sure which direction to go...  I was very, very tempted to go with a .450 Bushmaster upper for my SR556 because I had a legitimate need for a thumper carbine for exploring the woods, a role which my Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt fills already.

I've always viewed the .308 as a do-it-all cartridge for hunting, but I moved to Washington state just across the border from Idaho where I grew up hunting and have not gone big game hunting in a few years.  I have a Ruger M77 in .30-06 that will take down anything around here should I decide to hunt again.

So, I could build it as a long-range paper puncher, in which the .308 is good, and the 6.5 Creedmoor even better.  It would be just for fun and the occasional coyote hunt.

Or, I could build it as an alternative woods exploring carbine/SHTF zombie gun with considerable more punch than the Marlin.  Not sure I've ever seen a 16"  .308 upper; maybe for a reason...

There are various 16" rifles in .308 but you need to wear ear protection when shooting them.  Short barrels get noisy. I always use ear protection on the range but usually not when hunting with longer barrel rifles. Ya, I know, that's why I wear hearing aids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toofman said:

I saw that deal.  Has anyone tried these lowers with any other uppers?

That was my concern...  From what I've read, they are compatible with DPMS patterned uppers and a couple of others.

I really want the 16" barrel but PSA doesn't have any complete.  May have just build my own upper.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:05 PM, PNWguy said:

Nice lower at a great price! I think there are several types of .308 lower designs out there (Armalite/ DPMS?) that have slightly different parts. I don't know if that is the same for uppers so, check to make sure it's compatible if it's not a PSA.

That was my concern as well.  I was looking at an 18" upper and the weight was listed at 6 lbs.  Just the upper was six freaking pounds when my dad and brother are getting entire .308 bolt rifles that weigh 6 lbs.

That's one of the things I don't like about my current woods gun is that it is nearly 11lbs fully kitted and on my shoulder in the woods.  It's why I started looking at .450 Bushmaster uppers to install on one of my ARs.

Went and ordered a new upper from Midway...  Not in .308, however.

Bought an AR-Stoner complete upper with heavy contour 16" barrel in .450 Bushmaster to swap on to my Ruger SR556. 

I already have all the molds and equipment to reload for .450 Bushmaster and it will be a smaller and handier rifle than anything I could have built in .308.  The .308 lower will be built as a long-range rifle and may even go for a 6.5 Creedmoor build like the cool kids.

466691.jpg.258b21677b73df89f7b1d45933ff651e.jpg