ceracoat on polymer?

DieselMcBadass

Was wondering how it works out, ive heard it can be done but alwqys think of ceracoat as a metal finish. How does it change texture? My ceracoated gun is super slick where the cercoat meets. I feel it would lose grip. I also know its a surface coating, does it peel or wear on poly more than metal?

Im wondering as a local shop does ceracoat, i was thinking of having a slide done but wondering if while im at it i should get a frame done. Cosmetic reasons only, just think it would look cool to go two tone.

Cerakote will show wear on the texture of the grip and if you Cerakote a lighter color over black, the black will begin to show through on the high points and the edges.

If you have a black gun and two-tone is what you want, I think you'd be better off cerekoting the slide the lighter color and leaving the frame black. Cerekoting is not really a peermannat finish even on metal. I Cerekoted a Smith & Wesson revolver a couple of yeatr ago and it's starting to show wear, same thing with a Lone Wolf stainless steel barrel for a G20 I have that I Cerekoted black because I don't LIKE two-tone and prefer the all-black "stealth" look.^_^

• Like 1

Research the work done by the shops you are considering. Some shops do great work and others don't. 

All these coatings do wear, but appropriate color selection will minimize the appearance of wear for a bit. Using OD, dark grey, or dark brown over black will look better longer than using lighter colors over a black frame. 

Keep in mind that ceracote is just paint.  It's very tough but still just paint.  It doesn't stick to plastics very well.  It wears off of a Glock frame in very short order.

And It's all about preparation.  Most just bead blast the metal and apply ceracoat.  It doesn't take many draws from a polymer holster to show wear.  If sprayed over parkerized steel or anodized aluminum it sticks a whole lot better than bead blasted bare metal.  I have a 1911 (10mm) that was first melonited, then parkerized and finally ceracoated.  After 4 years of being dragged through woods and swamps hunting everything on 4 legs she still looks new.  

23 hours ago, DieselMcBadass said:

ill be ceracoating the lcp slide, since ruger finishes suck.So much wear from living in a holster.

I had to re-blue the left side of mine due to sweat and rust.  The gun itself just isn't worth re-finishing beyond that.  I leave a good coat of oil on it now.  None of my other six or so Rugers have finish issues.  Pretty disappointed.