UGA Admin all over this dead white gal thing...

gwalchmai

UGA students, faculty, and just plain folks have setup a GoFundMe site to honor the memory of yet another young white woman tossed into the volcano of political correctness and liberal piety. In an overabundance of caution, UGA officials have fired suspended arrested the alleged muderer's brother, who was working on-campus using a fake green card. I remember the abattoir being over by the Chem Building. Maybe he worked there. [ETA: nope, just serving students at Bolton. :upeyes: ] No longer willing to sit in silence while tuition payers students die, the administration is listening to student demands for safety by installing blue light special police kiosks to provide instant access via an app. (AKAB!) Probably could have connected this young lady to a race counselor to allay her racist MAGA fears.

I have the sad for us all. :(

• Like 4

From El Rojo y Negro, in 2018, when immigrants ILLEGAL ALIENS just wanted to live like everyone else... 

A battle won: Clarke County Sheriff’s Office reverses cooperation policy with Immigration and Customs Enforcement

• Ashley Soriano | Staff Writer
  •  
    • Apr 19, 2018 Updated Jun 30, 2018

180308_kar_immigration walkout protest_0002.jpg

Stephanie Flores, an international relations major from Chicago, Illinois, addresses a group of students from Clarke Central High School and students from the University of Georgia gathered outside of the Athens-Clarke County Courthouse, in downtown Athens, Georgia, on Thursday, March 8, 2018. A group of approximately twenty-five people protested the Athens-Clarke County Sheriff's Department decision to collaborate with ICE. (Photo/Kayla Renie, kayla.renie96@gmail.com)

KAYLA RENIE
Jimena Vargas Pacora, an immigrant from Peru and an Athens resident of 17 years, still fears deportation despite being documented.

“As an immigrant, and before I used to be undocumented … just as simple as driving without a license can get you deported,” Pacora said.

Pacora immigrated to the United States in 2000 when she was 6 years old. Today, fear of deportation still exists for Pacora and other immigrants in the community.

But after April 13, they are able to breathe a little easier.

The Clarke County Sheriff’s Office, headed by Sheriff Ira Edwards, will no longer hold inmates for 48 hours after their criminal charges have been processed — a practice that was requested by the U.S. Immigrant and Customs Enforcement to allow time to deport undocumented immigrants. The office had been following this practice since July 2017.

At the time of the April 13 press release, no inmates were being held exclusively on ICE detainers, the press release said, but three immigrants were being held on pending criminal charges with ICE detainers.

Edwards explained in the press release that “further resolution” from lawmakers is necessary in order to honor the 48-hour ICE detainment protocol. He said he has considered legal advice and believes there are “gaps in the current system” that prohibit the sheriff’s office from holding individuals solely because of an ICE detainer.

“[This change] positions the sheriff’s office on a stronger legal footing by lessening exposure to civil liability,” Edwards said. “The primary driver for [my] decision was more of a legal issue, and not one based on reaction from the community.”

On April 17, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in Sessions v. Dimaya that a U.S. law requiring the deportation of immigrants convicted of certain violent crimes was unconstitutionally vague.

The “violent crimes” mentioned in the law were not specified, which led to confusion among lower courts as to what this would entail. Crimes such as murder, rape and terrorism offenses are still grounds for deportation and will be unaffected by the ruling.

A victory for the immigrant community

Though the reversed decision in Athens-Clarke County may not have been because of the community, this announcement was good news to many Athens organizations that protested the office’s involvement with ICE.

“What the change in the Sheriff’s policy mean[s] is that Yes We Can! It means that United [sic], we can achieve permanent protection for millions of undocumented immigrants, it means that we can build a community in which we are valued, where we are treated with respect and dignity,” said an April 13 press release from Dignidad Inmigrante en Athens, an Athens immigrant advocacy group.

“We continue to fight. It’s win a battle but not a whole war.”

- Noe Mendoza, member of Dignidad Inmigrante en Athens

Although DIA sees the recent decision as a victory, DIA member Noe Mendoza still has his doubts.

“I’m happy that [the sheriff] did this kind of statement, but still I don’t believe it because … he believes immigrant people is a threat to the community when it is not,” Noe Mendoza said.

Mendoza’s brother and DIA coordinator, Beto, has concerns as well.

In a past meeting DIA held with Edwards, Cacao said the sheriff used “language of criminalization” when referring to immigrants.

“It was like, ‘These are potential criminals and I have to protect my people, and it was a matter of national security,’” Beto Mendoza said.

The Mendoza brothers said their organization will continue to fight for more protection of immigrants and want to change the language people use when referring to undocumented immigrants.

“We continue to fight. It’s win a battle but not a whole war,” Noe Mendoza said.

==============

Now that the chickens are coming home to roost it's anyone's fault but the liberals, to whom I say .

• Like 2