All right, I abandoned the 9mm carbine build. Instead, I'm building a...

jame

.300 BLK carbine.  Since it's intended to be a barnyard gun, I'll be shooting sub-sonic rounds, and I don't think I'm going to screw with a suppressor.  It's just too much hassle, and from what I've read, they shoot pretty dirty.  Too much work.

I'm tossing on a cheap Bushnell red dot optic, and I have a mount for my Fenix PD35 flashlight on the way.  I'll just use the lower from my current AR.  This is a budget build, and so far I'm south of $300.  

I'll just upgrade optics and illumination as money allows, and maybe pick up a nice lower to button it up a little later.

How am I doing so far?

Sounds cool. I have a lower that's been sitting for too long. Have wanted a blackout myself. My interest has always been in the supersonic loads in that caliber. 30 caliber punch in an ar carbine.

Edited by Smith10

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here she is so far.  I changed out the cheaper Bushnell red dot for a Primary Arms Micro Dot blem.  I added some Magpul backup sights.  My illumination isn't here yet, and I'm not sure if I want to screw with a sling.

I took it out at dusk, just to pump 10 down the pipe, and although it's early in the game, I'm delighted.  I think I really like the .300 BLK.

20171223_001042.jpg

Edited by jame
  • Like 3

I don’t get the subsonic .300 BO.  Isn’t the ballistics basically very similar to the .45 ACP?  In that case, couldn’t you have a smaller round using less powder in a shorter package?

I would like to have a 9x19 AR carbine or AR pistol set-up with suppressor.   

Edited by GlockPride

15 hours ago, GlockPride said:

I don’t get the subsonic .300 BO.  Isn’t the ballistics basically very similar to the .45 ACP?  In that case, couldn’t you have a smaller round using less powder in a shorter package?

I would like to have a 9x19 AR carbine or AR pistol set-up with suppressor.   

It is ballistically similar.  But no 1911 will have a capacity of 20 to thirty rounds, have the stability of a carbine or rifle, or be capable of also firing a round that pretty closely mirrors the 30-30 by simply changing ammo.

Also, not mentioned here, but in a previous thread, this is being set up as a barnyard gun, possibly being called upon to shoot to 25 to fifty yards after darkness falls.  

I'm in the process of learning this round, and initially, I was going to build a 9mm carbine, but it didn't take someone very long to talk me out of that and in to the .300 BLK.

currently  doing a 300 black out after finding out i can shoot 300  subsonic  thru my AAC TIRANt 45 CAN,  it does not say it for that but plenty do it  and AAC said they do it just use right load .  best can i ever got  i can shoot 9mm ,45 ,40  , 300bo  .   just no piston  in can with  300 ,  i go the can back when they were running 200 dollar rebate damn the man promotion  ,  and before the freedom group got involved  and messed things up       . they also sent me 5 tishirts free  .  they did me right but i dunno if id buy AAC now or not ,   but thats another thread 

anyway pics look good and congrats  ,  i shoot my buddies and it fun to shoot . 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, jame said:

It is ballistically similar.  But no 1911 will have a capacity of 20 to thirty rounds, have the stability of a carbine or rifle, or be capable of also firing a round that pretty closely mirrors the 30-30 by simply changing ammo.

Also, not mentioned here, but in a previous thread, this is being set up as a barnyard gun, possibly being called upon to shoot to 25 to fifty yards after darkness falls.  

I'm in the process of learning this round, and initially, I was going to build a 9mm carbine, but it didn't take someone very long to talk me out of that and in to the .300 BLK.

I think its going to be just the right tool for you.

11 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

I think its going to be just the right tool for you.

Credit given where credit is due.

Thanks for the hot tip on the .300 BLK, and I agree, this is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Oh, btw........my wallet says that you really, really suck.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, O4L said:

Sorry I missed your other thread. Why were you wanting to go with 9mm and then subsonic 300 BO over .223/5.56?

When you say a "barnyard" gun for after dark I guess it's for predators and varmints.

Wanted something for dealing with coyotes and such at night in the barn/backyard that wouldn't be as loud/disruptive to Mama as the full power 223.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Wanted something for dealing with coyotes and such at night in the barn/backyard that wouldn't be as loud/disruptive to Mama as the full power 223.

Yep.....

The little prairie wolves just keep getting bolder and bolder, and I feel the need to instill the fear of Jame.  The wife is up at 3:30 A.M., which means she goes to bed about the time they start getting surly.  

Blasting her out of bed with a my 16" 5.56 would assure my place on the couch for some time to come.  The modest pop of a subsonic 30 caliber shouldn't much more than make her roll over.  I hope.  (Maybe to her side of the bed for a change?)