Best 9mm pistol, full size and compact

DWARREN123

Full size:  CZ 75 converted to SAO.  The perfect pistol (for me) for competition.  Extremely accurate and fast shooting.  Beautiful to look at and fondle.  Crisp, mechanical feel.

Compact:  M&P 2.0 Compact.  Very comfortable to carry, plenty accurate and very reliable out of the box.  Add an Apex sear and the trigger is nearing perfection. 

IMG_2589_3.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

Edited by Brother J

On 6/30/2018 at 8:31 PM, Haldor said:

G26 and a G17. The G26 fits my hand better so actually I just use my G26 and carry spare 17 round magazines.

I do carry a G20 for backcountry riding. The G29 never appealed to me.

For pocket carry I am really fond of my Ruger LC9S-Pro. I love the look and feel of a Kimber Solo, but there where too many reliability complaints about it be willing to take a chance on it. 

Edited by Haldor
typo

I carry a Browning  Hi power and consider it the BEST for me personally. As far as what compact I carry... its a G43.  If there is any way possible, I carry my Browning but every now and then, I need a smaller gun.  When people ask me what kind of pistol they should use I typically say something like.." If a you can run a glock well enough to suit your needs, get a glock".  I am not a huge Glock fan or anything and I have carried all sorts of guns that were not glock but I will concede that Glock does everything pretty darn well.  My only gripe with Glock is that they do seem a little blocky and do not fit everyones hand in the way that a gun should.  I carry an old school gun because I am an old school guy and [its what I know].  If you can run a g19, get one.  That's my usual go to advice. 

Full Size – HK USP
Compact – USPc
Sub-Compact – P30SKS
Pocket Model – Glock G43

This was a very difficult decision as I’ve been a dedicated Glock man for years, and really like my CZs, but the chosen HKs  just tick all the boxes for me right now. 

•    Reliability –All 4 of the listed pistols have been 100% reliable with everything I’ve fed them, from Freedom Munitions & WWB ball, to Federal HST/Speer Gold Dot, and even Underwood’s Extreme stuff.
•    Versatility – All 3 of the HKs are safety & decocker models allowing multiple carry modes: DA with safety, DA w/o safety, or cocked & locked.
•    Accuracy – This is where I was surprised by all of my HKs. The level of accuracy the Wife and I can get from them easily equals, or surpasses, their equivalents that we own or have shot in other brands. Both of us shoot our G43s better than any other “pocket model” we own or have tried. On a good day, my little G43 will give my G19 a run for its money for the first 50 rounds.
•    Ergonomics – Control placement on the USPs is just about ideal for me and I much prefer the grip of the full size USP to the G17 frame. The only other full-sized models that fit as well are our CZ 85B and P30L. As for sub-compacts, the only other one that has come even remotely close to the P30SK is the CZ Rami, but it just wasn’t quite “there”.
•    Build Quality – This is where the USPs outshine every other semi-auto we own other than an early production Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. These things are seriously overbuilt and the machining of the metal parts is flawless. I have zero qualms about the durability of any of our USPs. The P30 series, while still better than our Glocks, are not quite up to the same level as the USPs.

Out of curiosity I asked the Wife for her choices and they are:

Full Size – HK P30L
Compact – CZ SDP and G19
Sub-Compact – Springfield EMP
Pocket Model – G43

She explained that her two choices in the Compact category are based on whether she’s carrying AIWB (CZ) or behind the hip (G19). As for the EMP being in the sub-compact category, she states “It’s smaller than my G19 and SDP, which are compacts, therefore it is a sub-compact.” 

Edited by RandomGuy