Roads and Pathways

Swampfox762

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Why did they have "Covered Bridges"??

AVvXsEifHezqf92yZ4HaafEDNlDRyDhgyLcAn9P_Q_Ipl8WKZ4dyAfxJjdfaqAshlqLXKcy3sHD6g6fMt8Frl9Hc5LuajQR01SGnuUXMAO16iaXmMMJqwSLfhxTgKAVkNEf3uTARPM7g-wa3LSgWK7ExzGgDPSmPegZhcOxbRO7n5lTfu1doMRCfqSvH98jXAg=s960

I,ve seen a lot of speculation on that, but never really heard anybody say anything that made sense.

There is the "Keeps ice and snow off the bridge" theory. Which is nice, but why not build roofs over the whole road?

The answer likely lays in the fact that those bridges are still around to admire. It keeps the weather off the structure so it lasts longer. Sure it's over water, so naturally more moisture, but they get far less moisture and sunlight and that makes wood last a long time. You have the taller part of the truss structure up there anyway, might as well put a roof and sides on it.

Modern concrete and steel bridges are destroyed by the elements, weather damage is the greatest bridge killer of all time. I've often wondered how the money spent on repairs and snow and ice control would compare to the cost of a roof over current bridges.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Fog said:

I,ve seen a lot of speculation on that, but never really heard anybody say anything that made sense.

There is the "Keeps ice and snow off the bridge" theory. Which is nice, but why not build roofs over the whole road?

The answer likely lays in the fact that those bridges are still around to admire. It keeps the weather off the structure so it lasts longer. Sure it's over water, so naturally more moisture, but they get far less moisture and sunlight and that makes wood last a long time. You have the taller part of the truss structure up there anyway, might as well put a roof and sides on it.

Modern concrete and steel bridges are destroyed by the elements, weather damage is the greatest bridge killer of all time. I've often wondered how the money spent on repairs and snow and ice control would compare to the cost of a roof over current bridges.

Thanks.  I'm like you, "Never really heard anybody say anything that made sense."  You named bout all the ones I could think of! :D:patriot: