1911 and Makarov

ROB

The shooting challenge this month involves shooting ten at 25yrds from basically any field position in 25sec or less. I had tried with my airlite 242 snubby and the Kimber earlier and wasn't happy with the results and generally felt like I could have done better.

The Makarov actually lends itself to this better than one might think - it has 'shootability' that enables very good accuracy. The sights are smallish, but allow lots of light, the trigger in SA is light and has a 'roll' to it that enables quick staging and follow-up (almost too good) and being a fixed barrel blowback design means the mechanical accuracy is very much there.

Of course the 1911 needs no introduction and has firmly established itself in bullseye and especially timed stuff like this. I shot 40 of the Hansen 185gr swc match stuff in a bullseye target to warm up

IMG_20171016_185536.thumb.jpg.ff6fc3f81d0d4f1360e058468121189c.jpg

My challenge effort went 5.5". An NRA D1 target is specified for this, at my range I wouldn't be able to use those, so reversing the B17 is accepted...basically a blank paper.

I managed 5.5" for ten shotsIMG_20171016_185257.thumb.jpg.3d66796edfabe2ce0022b9127404ed51.jpg

The Makarov did better. I used Corbon 95gr jhp. Shots #4 and 5 were actually a 'double tap' as I sort of staged up the trigger a little too much and bumped the last round in the mag ( I load two mags , five shots each), luckily they landed close together.

IMG_20171016_185029.thumb.jpg.534f9b39eccd52533850e6b7469499ae.jpg

Usually I do better work with a DA revolver in stuff like this, I might grab the NY1 model 64 or my Colt Officers....but I doubt I'd do better than these two, especially the little Makarov.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's true of all makarovs, but this one shoots about 4-6" high. It works nicely though for shooting bullseye with a 'sub six' hold.

I can't say this thing has ever jammed, and aside from making sure my thumbs are locked down (not thumbs forward) this gun always works.

• 8 months later...

I was pleasantly suprised by the Makarov round when I bought my P-64. It’s a fun round and the narrow front sight blade lets me see the target really well. 

Under those shooting conditions the Mak was a good choice.