Harbor Freight Nice

GlocknSpiehl

On 4/15/2020 at 2:08 AM, Eric said:

The welder I bought will do flux core, or solid core w/shielding gas. It came with the regulator and everything else necessary to do MIG. The major drawback for me with MIG welding was the cost of the tank and gas. That cost me more than the welder, although most of the expense is getting the canister. It only costs about $60 to fill it. 

I probably could have muddled through Wire welding with flux core wire. All you have to do to the welder is load the flux core wire, change the shield around the tip and reverse the polarity of the power and ground that feeds the torch. Wire welding with flux core on bodywork is a PITA though for a couple of reasons: One, you have to clean the flux slag off the welds. When I was seam welding especially, this was time consuming and screwed up my rhythm. Also, any slag left behind would cause problems with primers. Secondly, welding flux core was much more likely to warp the thin panels. The shielding gas used in MIG welding helps to cool the metal a bit. 

I hated spending so much money to get shielding gas set up on a welder I only needed for the one job, but it made for cleaner welds and easier welding. 

You'll find it can do things you might not have thought of.  I don't use my welders much anymore, but for that once in a while, they make them much easier.  Flux core is very hot and recommended for very thick material, where good penetration is needed.  It's a good structural weld.  There you just burn it in.

The shielding gas does cool the work somewhat to give you a little latitude on thin materials as you said.  My complaint about buying shielding gas is that I need two types for MIG welding, Aluminum or steel.  But it's still quicker and less setup than using my TIG,  I like the MIG more.  I have wondered if the TIG would have made some Car work better (In terms of a smaller bead) but the MIG is so quick.

It's a great tool to have.

I just posted this the other at TOS, and seeing I'm lazy, so I will just copy and paste it;   A lot of it is cheap junk, some of it is not at all. Some of their tools, such as impact sockets, are as good or better as anything you will find in Lowes or HD. The $200 Daytona floor jack HF carries is the exact same jack, made in the same factory, as the one Snap-On sells for $700.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rinspeed said:

I just posted this the other at TOS, and seeing I'm lazy, so I will just copy and paste it;   A lot of it is cheap junk, some of it is not at all. Some of their tools, such as impact sockets, are as good or better as anything you will find in Lowes or HD. The $200 Daytona floor jack HF carries is the exact same jack, made in the same factory, as the one Snap-On sells for $700.

I bought myself a riding tractor last fall because my knees are failing and I can't use the "walk behind" anymore.  I am a fanatic for maintenance om my tools so I bought a hydraulic jack lift to service the mower.  I bought it at HF.  I have used is often and it is a great tool, quick to use and excellent lift.  For $199 I couldn't have found a better deal. 

• Like 1