Canajun doctor turns one ventilator into nine

gwalchmai

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8136299/Doctors-turns-one-ventilator-nine-genius-DIY-mechanics.html

A Canadian doctor has rigged up a ventilator with do-it-yourself mechanics to treat nine patients instead of one.

Dr Alain Gauthier, an anesthetist at the Perth and Smiths Falls District Hospital in Ontario, has a PhD in respiratory mechanics  

According to CBC News, the physician got the idea after watching YouTube videos created by two Detroit doctors in 2006.

With health experts warning that several countries - including the US - do not have enough ventilators for a worst-case scenario, doctors have been trying to figure out how to make their medical equipment work for multiple patients.

More at link. And to hell with Neil Young.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if Canadian providers are protected from frivolous lawsuits?  Morgan and Morgan would love to see something like that rig in America.

Where does Neil Young come in?  And I agree.

After Obama got elected, one of his paybacks to the companies that helped him get elected was through medical equipment purchases via DHS.  At that time, GE owned NBC, and they helped Obama get elected.  And of course, GE has a medical equipment division.

My facility got 15 GE ventilators through DHS that we are supposed to keep at the ready, meaning battery purchases, patient circuits, and routine PM at $600 each.  Of course, GE won't train hospital personnel to do those.  Word at the time was that it was pretty much mandatory.  Nobody requested them or applied to any program, they were just delivered with orders to keep them ready.  And of course, there is no stipend, so it is at our expense.  They've sat idle in storage for 10 years and have never been used.  We also have so much disposable inventory like PPE pushed on us, our facility put up two double wide storage trailers on the back of the property.  Our facility had to pay for the trailers, electrical, climate control, and everything related to keeping and maintaining the supplies nobody asked for. 

• Sad 2

On 3/22/2020 at 8:33 AM, PPQer said:

I wonder if Canadian providers are protected from frivolous lawsuits?  Morgan and Morgan would love to see something like that rig in America.

Where does Neil Young come in?  And I agree.

After Obama got elected, one of his paybacks to the companies that helped him get elected was through medical equipment purchases via DHS.  At that time, GE owned NBC, and they helped Obama get elected.  And of course, GE has a medical equipment division.

My facility got 15 GE ventilators through DHS that we are supposed to keep at the ready, meaning battery purchases, patient circuits, and routine PM at $600 each.  Of course, GE won't train hospital personnel to do those.  Word at the time was that it was pretty much mandatory.  Nobody requested them or applied to any program, they were just delivered with orders to keep them ready.  And of course, there is no stipend, so it is at our expense.  They've sat idle in storage for 10 years and have never been used.  We also have so much disposable inventory like PPE pushed on us, our facility put up two double wide storage trailers on the back of the property.  Our facility had to pay for the trailers, electrical, climate control, and everything related to keeping and maintaining the supplies nobody asked for. 

Is your facility happy to have the stuff now?   Do they still have the equipment and PPE?

1 hour ago, Booker said:

Is your facility happy to have the stuff now?   Do they still have the equipment and PPE?

We'll see.  There hasn't been any patients admitted for C-19 yet.  It is interesting that DHS stashed these around and they may actually come in handy.  Oddly enough, there isn't any data available anywhere as to how many were bought and stashed by DHS.  As for the PPE, it's more than 10 years old.

• Like 1