Finally was able to get into the garden today

DrB

Still wet but enough I didn't load up the lugs on the tractor tires with mud.  Managed to plant 100 sweet pepper plants and 100 hot pepper plants.  200 tomato plants to go in in the next days if it does not rain again.  They are calling for it though....  What a year so far.  My farm fields are finally starting to dry out...

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Same here.  Back down to the lower 70's and rain again.  Where is this Global Warming thing they keep talking about??  I'm going to go out and burn a pile of old tires to help things along.

Dave..

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DrB said:

Well it's raining here again.  Can't even get my tire pile to burn.  I have about 20 gallons of used motor oil, perhaps that will help.

Dave..

Baby seal blubber burns good.......

What are you going to do with all those tomatoes?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Baby seal blubber burns good.......

What are you going to do with all those tomatoes?

If I get them in I sell vegetables.  Have a market garden along with the farm.  I also can and freeze..

Dave..

I got my tractor back from the mechanic on Fri afternoon, mowed a little, it ran smoother than it has in years.  Mowed about half the 7 acres that needed it on Saturday and the PTO belt broke... after everything was closed and I couldn't get a replacement.  Wasn't home on Sunday.  Poured on Monday, too wet to mow.  Also too wet to get the corn in.  Maybe this afternoon?  But it's supposed to rain tomorrow, and for the rest of the week.  At least most of the tire garden is doing well.  And the hoop house.  Even the outdoor straw bale garden is doing ok, although it is only planted with maters, taters, and peppers right now.  The sweet potato slips won't be long enough to plant out for another week or so (I started them really late - my fault, not the weather).  I can't keep up with the lettuce (I grew 4 different kinds in 4 different tires, because last year only one tire wasn't enough).  The broccoli raab keeps trying to blossom, and I keep hacking it off and eating it or giving it away.  (This is the first year for it, and it seems to be doing equally well in the hoop house and outside in a tire).  The one thing that is NOT doing well this year is the cukes.  Either kind, anywhere I put them, in the hoop house or outside.  I don't know why.  I need cukes this year because I am about out of sweet relish and pickles from canning two years ago.  The first of the beets in the hoop house went to my mom.  I need to plant more for a fall harvest, but I don't have anywhere to put them until the outdoor dirt garden dries up enough to plant, if it ever does.  I need to harvest some cilantro to thin it out, and some dill.  The carrots are mostly tops, the bottoms are only pinky finger sized right now.  I await them impatiently.  Actually, I await everything impatiently.  I'm hungry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I need cukes this year because I am about out of sweet relish and pickles from canning two years ago.

How do you make your pickles if I may ask?  I love pickles.

Dave..

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, DrB said:

Still wet but enough I didn't load up the lugs on the tractor tires with mud.  Managed to plant 100 sweet pepper plants and 100 hot pepper plants.  200 tomato plants to go in in the next days if it does not rain again.  They are calling for it though....  What a year so far.  My farm fields are finally starting to dry out...

Dave..

We are starting to dry out.  But, one extreme to the other.  Heat warnings due to the enormous amount of humidity.  I feel bad for the animals.  Just when they get mucked out it would rain, yet again.  A relentless cycle.  I thought about doing a raised bed garden for me to play with.  I know how to build it.  Unfortunately, I will have to hire it out.  It irritates me, when I know how to do something, and just can't.  I would have enjoyed building that.  My wife has a brown thumb usually that I made for her years back.  She turned the area into an above ground redneck pool.  I am pretty good at animal husbandry, so raising my vegetables.  I am a bit frustrated my tangerines didn't pop like they did last year.  I had the start of two apple trees, but when my GSD was teething me made them into tooth picks.  It looks like since he stopped doing that, that Fig tree is coming back.  The peach tree was demolished in high wind.  I think  we'll try the apple trees and another peach tree would be nice.  Probably a few years until they fruit.  

• Like 1

Well after all the again yesterday let things sit until the afternoon.  Went into the big garden.....  You know you may be in trouble if your tractor is in 4WD,your right foot is riding the clutch, left foot on the differential lock, Right hand on the the 3PT lift lever, engine lugging down and that coal black diesel smoke rising from the stack as your digging in.

For a farm boy you don't even have to look to the back, instinct tells you what the hell to do.  I pulled out, looked back and wondered how the hell I got through that.  I made 2 more passes just to keep sharp on the pedals.....

Belly up to the bar boys and girls, drinks are on me tonight. 

Burn Diesel... Drink Alcohol........

Dave..

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2019 at 9:05 AM, DrB said:

How do you make your pickles if I may ask?  I love pickles.

Dave..

I make a 2 gallon jar of fridge pickles and just keep that stocked all summer/as long as I have fresh cukes.  When there are more cukes than we can eat that way, I can sweet relish (either the Ball Canning book recipe, or one that replaces the sugar with honey, if I get enough honey from my hives for that).  If there is anything left afterwards,  I try canning pickles, but I've never been satisfied with the crunch that way... So at some point I'm going to replace the lid on my sauerkraut crock and try pickling the old-fashioned way that takes 2 months, but supposedly gives better crunch.  because pickles are all about the crunch!

• Like 1

Well it rained/poured yesterday again.  Today the sun is out so I am going to go out and try to mow around in the swamp (yard)  Water  is standing everywhere.  Suppose to rain again tomorrow. 

My Border Collie loves it, me not so much.

Dave..