22 WMR Rifle?

DrB

Looking around for a rifle for the woodchucks around here.  Don't want a center fire rifle..  Have various 22's. I always liked my Winchester lever action 9422M.  Just wondering what is out there in a semi auto carbine length rifle.  Any ideas?  Probably will just pull my Winchester out of the safe but was curious.

Dave..

Edited by DrB

6 hours ago, ede said:

Think CZ makes one or use to. If it were me I'd go 17 and a bolt gun.

I agree. the 17HMR in a heavy barreled rifle is much more accurate than any 22 magnum. Savage makes a nice one, the 93r17GV. I have the synthetic stock version, the 93r17FV, and it's incredibly accurate.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/savage-model-93r17gv-bolt-action-rifle-17-hmr-21-barrel-5-rounds-walnut-stock-blued-finish-96701-062654967016.do?sortby=ourPicks

But if it has to be a 22 mag and a semi-auto,  the best 22 mag semi-auto is the savage A22M 22 WMR.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/5245/Firearms/Rifles/Savage/Savage+Rimfire/Savage+A22M+22WMR

A friend of mine has a Marlin Levermatic 22 magnum which has a full stock and a tube magazine. It has a unique cam-and-roller lever system giving it an extremely smooth and short lever motion to chamber a new cartridge. The design was based on a Lever action shotgun made in the early 50's and it was a very strong action and in 1963 Marlin made them in 30 carbine and 256 Winchester and had plans to make them in 357 magnum but the gun was discontinued in 1969 and the levermatic was produced for only 10 years.

It's an accurate rifle with iron sights and I suspect that it would be even more accurate with a decent scope. But as far as accuracy goesthat's where the 17 HMR really shines. I've never seen one that wasn't a tack driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Think I'm just going to pull my Winchester lever action from the 70's out.  Can't take it with me when I die.  But wait...  I lost that in my canoeing accident in the river..  I'll second think the semi auto later if I don't like the lever rifle.  Bought it when I was young and only shot it a few times.  Don't know why I put it up..  Time to revisit the rifle..

Dave..