Thinking about trading in my car for a truck.

astepup

Since my dad passed away I've been driving his truck, a '04 Chevy Silverado with 60K miles due to an ice/snow storm we've had. The problem now is that I REALLY like driving a truck as a daily driver. So much easier to get in and out of, better view of the road, always ready to haul whatever and on demand 4x4.

Once dad's estate is settled and done I'm considering trading in my '11 Impala for another truck. The lost mpg doesn't concern me much. Anybody else give up cars as daily drivers in favor of trucks?

Edited by astepup
  • Like 1

Yep.  Most days I miss my 2012 Fusion due to comfort, gas mileage, and maneuverability. 

But then a fair amount of days I loved having a half-ton 4x4 as a daily driver due to increased safety, ability to buy anything I wanted anytime rather than having to plan to go back home and get the SUV and a trailer.  In the winter, it's no contest.  4x4 with sandbags in the bed and clearance for the frequent snow drifts around here is a necessity.

Now I drive the best of both worlds with my `05 Yukon.  It's comfortable, I can haul a fair amount of stuff by folding the seats down, 4x4 with adequate clearance, big and safe, no issues getting around in heavy traffic.  Gas mileage is awful, avg. of 14.5mpg, always.

4 hours ago, astepup said:

Since my dad passed away I've been driving his truck, a '04 Chevy Silverado with 60K miles due to an ice/snow storm we've had. The problem now is that I REALLY like driving a truck as a daily driver. So much easier to get in and out of, better view of the road, always ready to haul whatever and on demand 4x4.

Once dad's estate is settled and done I'm considering trading in my '11 Impala for another truck. The lost mpg doesn't concern me much. Anybody else give up cars as daily drivers in favor of trucks?

I have never owned a car.

I always have had 4x4 trucks.

My wife has a car, well two, that I never drive, not even when we go places together, she drives.

Went from a '08 Mustang Shelby GT500 w/530rwhp to a 2018 Durango RT. There are two things I miss from the Shelby: the whine of the supercharger and putting the top down since it was a convertible. Otherwise, I don't really miss having a car and enjoy having a SUV now.

In the last couple years I went from this...

Img-2722.jpg

...to this...

Img-0865.jpg

...and than to this...

Img-0944.jpg

I'm done with cars, let alone sports cars. And I'm done with overpriced trucks, especially from GM.

That little 4x4 Hemi is all I need and I love it. 5k miles on it and zero issues, no more oil burning, rides like a large SUV because of its coil spring suspension, still tows 10k lbs, 22 MPG highway, 25 backroads, 16 city, and I paid only $27k compared to $75k for each GM product posted above.

Back to the basics.

I got a truck, my wife has a car.  The car is for gas millage.  The truck is for utilitarian purposes.  I would recommend something that has a long engine life, unless you plan on trading it every year for the newest model on the lot, then it doesn't matter.

Edited by Moshe