NFA Newb Question

PNine64

I hope this is the right area.  So I’ve been wanting a suppressor for a while and was hoping the HPA would pass.  At this point I t doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen so I took the plunge.  I figured a straight .22 with an appropriate host was a no brainer.

Since I’m going through the process I figured I might as well get another.  I mostly have glocks in 9mm but have a G30 too (my only .45).  I also have a bunch of ARs.  Getting a 9mm suppressor would make sense but I started looking at the .45 because it could handle more calibers should I decide to mix things up down the road.  Realistically I’ll be shooting 9mm out of it though.

Will the slightly increased sound offset the potential flexibility of being able to shoot .45, .300 blackout or whatever else down the road?  Does it make more sense to buy the 9mm now and look at something else down the road?  Weight and length are also factors.  Is there a good “do it all” suppressor that addresses most of what I’m talking about?

68DB6FA3-C555-4405-822B-26FF823EEE00.thumb.jpeg.e23dd66c56c5b28a32f0338debfd578f.jpeg

• Like 1

If you are planning on additional suppressors in the future, you might go with the specific caliber you are planning on shooting now.

On the other hand, you have a 45 cal firearm, so getting the 45 now and getting a 9mm later if you decide to get additional ones makes some sense.  I'd say it depends a little bit on the actual suppressor you plan to purchase, as some of the 45 cal cans are very close to the weight and decibel rating of the 9mm cans even when shooting a smaller caliber through them.  If you want the absolute most decibel reduction possible, you would want to go with the caliber it was designed for, so 9mm in this case (that doesn't hold true all the time though, in some cans the 45 can might be quieter than the 9mm when shooting 9mm, it's weird)

I'm going the 45 cal can route, because I plan to use it on my 10mm, though I have more 9mm guns than 10mm.  I'm more interested in using subsonic rounds, so bigger/heavier bullet is more energy. 

Many suppressors also offer different end caps which might make a couple of decibels difference overall, but many people don't bother.

It seems that almost any of the pistol rated cans 9mm and up can be used for 300BO subsonic no problem, since 300BO is 7.62mm, so you're good to go with a 9mm.  

It really comes down to how much you're willing to spend and how durable you really want.  You can get .45 suppressors that weigh in at 5 ounces made from aluminum that will work just fine for your average slow shooting range session of a hundred or two rounds, or a stainless steel full auto rated 9mm can at nearly 15 ounces.  If you aren't in a major hurry to get one and not yet stuck on a brand, then I would wait until there is some type of a sale.  During the summer Silencerco had a deal if you spend $700 on a suppressor they'd give you a .22 cal can for free (just pay NFA) or if you spent $800 they'd give you a pistol can for free (same deal).  I ended up buying a 7.62 can for just over $800, and have a can that's MSRP is over $900 coming to my dealer soon at no cost to me (other than NFA payment)

• Thanks 1

Thanks...this is exactly the route I took.  Bought the SilencerCo Omega 45.  It covers lots of bases and suppressed 9 is very close between the Omega 45 and 9.  I guess I should have jumped on things earlier so I could have gotten the warlock 2 for free (that and I’d be that much further along on the wait).  ?

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 2:37 PM, PNine64 said:

Thanks...this is exactly the route I took.  Bought the SilencerCo Omega 45.  It covers lots of bases and suppressed 9 is very close between the Omega 45 and 9.  I guess I should have jumped on things earlier so I could have gotten the warlock 2 for free (that and I’d be that much further along on the wait).  ?

I've got various caliber silencers.  I try to use one that is made for the caliber I'm shooting.  However, I do have a Silencerco Hybrid that is marketed as a "do it all".  I bought it because it can do big rifle calibers but it's currently on a .40 pistol.  

I think if I were only going to have one it would be a "do it all" style.  

• Thanks 1