My new toy

Wyzz Kydd

1 minute ago, *OldSchool* said:

For the uninitiated: If a new engine burns oil, it's likely because of oil ring failure.

That has nothing to do with the over-all break in failure or success.

My theory about oil burning issues relates to the first warm up and the oil rigs overheating.

That has nothing to do with the rest (after first start up and proper warm up) of the break in.

I'm not talking about defective rings in a new car, I'm talking about a developing issue due to no proper break-in. Read my post regarding the enamel again.

My Corvette didn't burn any oil within the first 500 miles. At the 3,000 mile oil change, 5 from 10 quarts had been gone, meaning it burned in average 1 quart every 600 miles. After that it increased to 2 quarts every 1,000 miles, because the enamel buildup increases over time, causing even more oil to get by.

This would have been completely avoidable IF I would have done a hard break-in right off the dealership parking lot, at odo at 11 miles from delivery and a couple test rides.

5 minutes ago, crockett said:

I'm not talking about defective rings in a new car, I'm talking about a developing issue due to no proper break-in. Read my post regarding the enamel again.

My Corvette didn't burn any oil within the first 500 miles. At the 3,000 mile oil change, 5 from 10 quarts had been gone, meaning it burned in average 1 quart every 600 miles. After that it increased to 2 quarts every 1,000 miles, because the enamel buildup increases over time, causing even more oil to get by.

This would have been completely avoidable IF I would have done a hard break-in right off the dealership parking lot, at odo at 11 miles from delivery and a couple test rides.

11 miles sounds about right..... If the oil rings were gonna burn up/fail - it would have happened already.

Not like I said that already.

Edited by *OldSchool*

14 minutes ago, *OldSchool* said:

11 miles sounds about right..... If the oil rings were gonna burn up/fail - it would have happened already.

Not like I said that already.

Nobody talks about failing rings, totally different (and rare) scenario. This (sub) topic here in this thread is about the break-in causing oil consumption, and nothing else. I'm sorry, but you are simply not following my words.

- If you break in an engine hard, through the rev band, and WOT (wide open throttle), it will happen within a few minutes. Also called dyno / factory break-in. That does NOT happen when you buy your average new car.

- If you break in an engine slow, as suggest by GM in the owners manual, with limited rev and with limited throttle input, proper break-in will not happen with engines like the GM 6.2, and it will take several hundred miles with most others.

When I worked at Benz in R&D back in Germany, we have designed, developed, handbuild, tested and taken apart countless prototype engines. I have a ******* tinnitus from the engines running on stands at full throttle all the time.

I also build and raced my own liter bike engines. We are talking 220 HP at the crank out of 998 cc, naturally aspirated, 16k RPM. Broken in on a dyno, raced the same day. The last one held up over 20k miles without burning a single drop of oil and all vales in spec. I'm not pulling all this out of my ass.

Edited by crockett

28 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I think old school is agreeing with you that they need to be run hard from the start, particularly the first crank and that that’s out of the hand of the owner because first start ups are occurring at the dealer and aren’t hard runs.

I think...

Sorry for getting back into this... I just wanted to make sure that my point is understood, especially what causes this very specific oil consumption issue.

Hard break-ins are often discussed on the same level as topics around: "Whats the best oil for my car, gun, you name it?"

I said everything that I have on this matter and truly hope your new car doesn't show any issues.

Cheers!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, crockett said:

Sorry for getting back into this... I just wanted to make sure that my point is understood, especially what causes this very specific oil consumption issue.

Hard break-ins are often discussed on the same level as topics around: "Whats the best oil for my car, gun, you name it?"

I said everything that I have on this matter and truly hope your new car doesn't show any issues.

Cheers!

FWIW: The only area where we differ is about whether or not the first owner has anything to do with excessive oil consumption. I didn't realize you thought the entire break in procedure had something to do with burning oil. I thought you were mostly talking about overall longevity, I was trying to distinguish the two issues.

Edited by *OldSchool*

8 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Here’s a shot of mine from a similar angle 

8702CAF2-90D5-45FC-9140-64A5F3F80D4A.jpeg

I like how that pic shows the lines in hood.

I'm gonna guess the raised and depressed areas are more related to down pressure and favorable wind tunnel results, rather than just looks.

Either way and for track times and handling characteristics.... GM get's a high five. :highfive:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hannie Caulder said:

Thank you!  Notice the Georgia Bulldog colors LOL.  I ordered it that way.

The first time Daddy saw it he said "That thing is a ticket waiting to happen."  LOL.  Still haven't gotten a ticket yet, but I have been pulled over a few times.  It's real easy to speed in that car if you're not paying attention.

One of the things I learned in one of the many traffic school classes I've attended over the years, one of which was taught by a former police officer with many years of experience, is the red cars really are more likely to get pulled over. They stand out and are more noticeable than any other color car.

My 2016 SS was the same color. I got pulled over for 60 in the 45 by a DeKalb County cop. After asking if I knew why he pulled me over (I said I did, for speeding) he told me he loved the car but maybe I should have picked the darker red as mine grabbed his attention. I explained that my shade of red was called ‘pull me over red’ while the other was ‘arrest me red’ so I had chosen the less dangerous color. We both got a good laugh and he gave me a warning ticket, no points, no money.

Nice guy, out of respect I don’t speed on his stretch of road anymore.

6 hours ago, Borg warner said:

One of the things I learned in one of the many traffic school classes I've attended over the years, one of which was taught by a former police officer with many years of experience, is the red cars really are more likely to get pulled over. They stand out and are more noticeable than any other color car.

That's exactly what Daddy told me.  I try to keep it below 80, but sometimes I mess up when I'm not paying attention to the speedometer.  That's exactly what I tell the trooper, and so far they have been sweeties and let me go.

23 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

Good Sir, I shall brook no slander against the fine Gentlemen's clothier know as "Members Only"!!!!

enhanced-buzz-20275-1382638410-11.jpg?do

So that's a yes to the mullet and Members Only jacket?  And what about parachute pants a "Frankie Say Relax" t-shirt to complete your ensemble?

3 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

So that's a yes to the mullet and Members Only jacket?  And what about parachute pants a "Frankie Say Relax" t-shirt to complete your ensemble?

Good times........good times.......

Relax, don't do it.

• Haha 1

So I noticed today that my HUD has flashing green diamonds that show when you're in the sweet spot to up shift. First you get 1 green on each side, then 2, then 3, then they go yellow.  I suspect if I red lined it I would get red diamonds and the rev limiter would kick in, but I haven't gone that hard.

I really like the HUD.  It tells me speed, rpms, Gs, gear, and the diamonds, all without having to take my eyes off the road.

2 hours ago, Truth&Balance said:

Very nice!  Love the flat black hood.

Thanks. It has matching black hood, rear view mirrors, spoiler, rims, and rock guards. If I were a Georgia fan like Hannie all it would need would be UGA plates.

Every time I post about it I want to go crank it up and go for a spin. I keep the exhaust in track mode (loud) and toggle everything else back and forth between Sport and Touring depending upon where I’m driving.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update for those who are interested.  I just passed the 1,800 mile mark and checked my oil when I filled up.  I had it changed at 500 miles per break in instructions so I'm 1,300 miles into this batch and it still reads full, so no burning oil issues yet.

The mud/rock flaps are on (they match the mirrors, hood, etc) and I had the Georgia maximum legal tint put on Tuesday.  I think she's good to go for now.  I'm going fishing in a bit, I'll take a pic and post it when I get back.

• 1 month later...