Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

6 hours ago, C_Hallbert said:

I am sorry, but you are mistaken. It is in fact the third most beautiful Fighter Aeroplane. The first two are provided in order of aesthetic appeal. 9ecf2029997c04d1ddef8452f628f5f5.jpgf5ef441f7ac03307854e8ac29620a3db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah.  Solid aircraft, but  not aesthetic at all.  Big engine, giant nose, bent wings.  Nope.  Stubby looking wings, gaping hole under propeller, extra room for teeth.  Nope.  The Spitfire wins, hands down.  Even the Me-262 is better looking than those two warhorses.

Me262_V3_PC.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tous said:

Al, is it true that you can't stall an AN-2?

Tous, I don't know.  I've only ever ridden in them seated by the exit.  I've always figured all Russkie stuff was designed to kill me.  ?  So, seated by the exit with a couple of parachutes increased my chance of surviving the flight of the questionably maintained beast.  But, I as I understand, it is stated that full control is maintained down to about 30 mph.

I have, however, flown some high wing bugsmashers that at idle power and full elevator deflection would not spin without some help.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, tous said:

Al, is it true that you can't stall an AN-2?

The last I heard, the FAA still had a 300 air mile limit from the home base on AN -2's in the U.S.  Don't know if that is still true or not. I have always thought they were a great, old design.

• Like 2

Nah.  Solid aircraft, but  not aesthetic at all.  Big engine, giant nose, bent wings.  Nope.  Stubby looking wings, gaping hole under propeller, extra room for teeth.  Nope.  The Spitfire wins, hands down.  Even the Me-262 is better looking than those two warhorses.
Me262_V3_PC.jpg

LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me tell you what I saw today. Yes it fits in this thread.

just after 8:00 am I’m on a container train, two engines about 9000 horsepower running at 60mph. Minding my own business.

we are going east and passing a westbound freight train. Now when this happens we look over each other’s train looking for sticking brakes, leaning cars, heavy smoke and flames, big green clouds of chlorine leaking from a tank car.....normal stuff.

so we are looking along this westbound when we see a flatcar, much lower than the normal cars, and what do I see on the other side of this train....a crop duster.

flying along in our direction, not 25 feet from the side of the other train, flying below the top level of the cars. Then we are back to normal sized cars and lose it.

my conductor, who was awake at the time, said “did you see that?” O.o

yeah, I did.

the rear of the train goes by and sure enough here is this little crop duster flying along with us. 

Now about a half mile in front of us is a Control Point. This is where we can switch tracks using crossover rails, it’s about 250 feet basically square with signal masts on all four corners. 

This guy, banks 90 degrees, I can see both wingtips and the top of the canopy. Crosses over in front of us low enough that if I had been standing there he would have hit me. 

Between the signal masts.  :Alex:

30 seconds before we get there at 60 mph and weighting 7,500 tons

and he is waving at us

:D

22 years out here and I have never seen anything like that

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Let me tell you what I saw today. Yes it fits in this thread.

just after 8:00 am I’m on a container train, two engines about 9000 horsepower running at 60mph. Minding my own business.

we are going east and passing a westbound freight train. Now when this happens we look over each other’s train looking for sticking brakes, leaning cars, heavy smoke and flames, big green clouds of chlorine leaking from a tank car.....normal stuff.

so we are looking along this westbound when we see a flatcar, much lower than the normal cars, and what do I see on the other side of this train....a crop duster.

flying along in our direction, not 25 feet from the side of the other train, flying below the top level of the cars. Then we are back to normal sized cars and lose it.

my conductor, who was awake at the time, said “did you see that?” O.o

yeah, I did.

the rear of the train goes by and sure enough here is this little crop duster flying along with us. 

Now about a half mile in front of us is a Control Point. This is where we can switch tracks using crossover rails, it’s about 250 feet basically square with signal masts on all four corners. 

This guy, banks 90 degrees, I can see both wingtips and the top of the canopy. Crosses over in front of us low enough that if I had been standing there he would have hit me. 

Between the signal masts.  :Alex:

30 seconds before we get there at 60 mph and weighting 7,500 tons

and he is waving at us

:D

22 years out here and I have never seen anything like that

I believe this is when I get to quote another idiom.

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots"

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...