Do I need a grip change?

DUBSY

Is there a replacement grip that will help this? I hate to give up on the gun for sentimental reasons. I've slowly worked my way through 250 rounds over a period of a month. At 10 yards my groups are shrinking and I'm comfortable with the recoil. But that little corner has got to go. Thanks in advance! S&W 637-2 BTW

SW637_2_1.thumb.jpg.a788bfbe1796ad147eaabf6ae81fda63.jpgInkedSW637_2_LI.thumb.jpg.d37a904e46f0d1899ef152f767d20ab0.jpg

Shooting gloves for practice. Once you hand heals, if you ever have to shoot the gun defensively you won't likely fire enough rounds to hurt your bare hand and you won't feel it, either. And, the gun will carry better with the grips you have on it now rather than going to bulkier grips.

https://thegunzone.com/best-shooting-gloves/

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

Shooting gloves for practice. Once you hand heals, if you ever have to shoot the gun defensively you won't likely fire enough rounds to hurt your bare hand and you won't feel it, either. And. the gun will carry better with the grips you have on it now rather than going to bulkier grips.

https://thegunzone.com/best-shooting-gloves/

I'm glad I posted. I doubt I would have thought of gloves and I like to keep guns stock.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:36 PM, DUBSY said:

Is there a replacement grip that will help this? I hate to give up on the gun for sentimental reasons. I've slowly worked my way through 250 rounds over a period of a month. At 10 yards my groups are shrinking and I'm comfortable with the recoil. But that little corner has got to go. Thanks in advance! S&W 637-2 BTW

SW637_2_1.thumb.jpg.a788bfbe1796ad147eaabf6ae81fda63.jpgInkedSW637_2_LI.thumb.jpg.d37a904e46f0d1899ef152f767d20ab0.jpg

I had the same problem. Finally tried the Delta Grip. It is an odd shape and it took me a while to warm up to it, but now I wouldn't change it. It feels large at first but is flat & just as easy to conceal as the S&W grip. I feel it actually gives me much more control when shooting.

I am not a fan of using gloves on self defense guns for recoil mitigation, injury prevention, etc. Using a glove can change point of aim and alter 'muscle memory' during practice and may result in altered performance during an actual shooting. Hunting is a controlled, voluntary situation and does not apply since hunters have the luxury of donning the glove prior to taking a shot. If this revolver is not a self defense gun, then a glove is fine.

You need a closer fitting grip that fits closer and follows the line of the frame. You can take your revolver to a gun store with a selection of grips and try to find something that fits or have a custom grip made for it by Ahrends, Hogue, Spegel, etc.  

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/
https://www.hogueinc.com/grips
http://www.craigspegel.com/

Train like you intend to shoot when the emergency hits. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, blueiron said:

I am not a fan of using gloves on self defense guns for recoil mitigation, injury prevention, etc. Using a glove can change point of aim and alter 'muscle memory' during practice and may result in altered performance during an actual shooting. Hunting is a controlled, voluntary situation and does not apply since hunters have the luxury of donning the glove prior to taking a shot. If this revolver is not a self defense gun, then a glove is fine.

You need a closer fitting grip that fits closer and follows the line of the frame. You can take your revolver to a gun store with a selection of grips and try to find something that fits or have a custom grip made for it by Ahrends, Hogue, Spegel, etc.  

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/
https://www.hogueinc.com/grips
http://www.craigspegel.com/

Train like you intend to shoot when the emergency hits. 

I'm reluctant to agree with the theory that using a glove would change point of aim and alter 'muscle memory' to any significant degree. The only way to tell would be to shoot 10 rounds or so at a target with a glove and another 10 rounds without a glove and compare accuracy and point of impact.

Edited by Borg warner

I shoot outdoors in the winter time with gloves on.  I don’t wear them in the summer.  I can’t tell the difference with or without gloves, maybe I’m just not good enough for it to matter.

Looks good. Are you gripping it tightly enough to keep it from moving? I have a 637 and they're light enough to move, esp with +P. That's a thought - do you see the problem when shooting bunnyfart target loads? How about wit a two-handed grip?

You also might wan to try a Tyler T-grip, but it looks like that one's filling your hand.

This is my first revolver so I'm figuring things out as I go. I cup the bottom of my right hand with my left. As far as ammo all I've shot so far has been remanufactured by Midwest. I think it's 124gr? 

I'm also a fan of a light shooting glove. I went with the Mechanix line. Very inexpensive and they don't change the grip substantially. I use them for extended sessions with my Smith Airweights and my Glocks. All my J-frames have the Bantam/Boot grips as they lock in the best for me. I also prefer not to vary from the OEM Glock triggers for my carry guns. A shooting glove solves any issues of discomfort. 

• Like 2

Quote: "This is my first revolver so I'm figuring things out as I go. I cup the bottom of my right hand with my left. As far as ammo all I've shot so far has been remanufactured by Midwest. I think it's 124gr?"

Cupping the bottom of your right hand with you left doesn't offer much support.  what you want to do is wrap the fingers of your support hand around the fingers of the hand gripping the gun and push forward with your strong hand and pull backwards with you support hand as if doing an isometric exercise.

gun grip4.jpg

Jerry Muculek has some videos on proper grip when shooting revolvers.  He knows a thing or two about it.  A grip change wouldn't be a bad idea either. There are grips available that would solve your problem without making the gun less concealable. I'm not a fan of shooting gloves, I think they are unnecessary with the right grips.  I don't adapt to the gun, I adapt the gun to fit me.  Once done, you'll learn to love the little Smith.

s45

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Your grip looks good to go. Nice and high on the grip like it should be, and your thumb is tucked in instead of forward like you’re shooting a semi. 

Im actually puzzled as to why you sustained that much damage. My 442 has the factory boot grip and it’s never hurt me like that, and I’ve shot a hundred rounds in a session with it before back before my hands starting giving me issues     

Hell, last week my shooting partner and I had a manliest man contest shooting 125g Magnums out of his 640 with the factory grips and it didn’t draw blood. It was uncomfortable as hell, but left no visible reminders. 

9 hours ago, DUBSY said:

Is this the more preferred grip versus wrapping the off hand thumb around the strong one? I’m still going back and forth.

Yes. The grip pictured is showing the off hand thumb wrapped around the strong hand thumb. The off hand is the hand wearing the watch.  Another thing that might help you is ammo selection.  If the model 637 is an airweight revolver I would recommend carrying what I carry in my airweight J-frame which is the Underwood hardcast full wadcutter ammo. zRefular 148 grain wadcutters are a breeze to shoot in an airweight gun but they only produce about 700 feet per second velocity. Even so, they've been used as defewnsive ammo for many years and work pretty well.

But the underwood load develops and honest 850 fps and I consider them to be the absolute best non-plus+P defensive load in a 38 special. Buffalo bor makes anIdentcal load but the underwood load costs less, about $3.50 a box of 20 and for practice ammo I would recommend the Winchester W Train & Defend Reduced Recoil Ammunition 38 Special 130 Grain FMJ load.  Cabela's carries this ammo.

The Underwood Wadcutter load recoils more than a standard target wadcutter load but less than any 158 grain ammo and less than any Plus+P load. 

Edited by Borg warner

10 hours ago, DUBSY said:

Is this the more preferred grip versus wrapping the off hand thumb around the strong one? I’m still going back and forth.

That is my preferred grip, even for magnums. Thumbs tucked in. I have never cared for the off thumb wrap around. 

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

The Underwood Wadcutter load recoils more than a standard target wadcutter load but less than any 158 grain ammo and less than any Plus+P load. 

Thanks, Borg. Since I put that mono grip on there I’ve been shooting the 158gr with no blood. I do want to give those wadcutters a try though. Just as a side note, I’ve been shooting a 4” gp100 in .357 with the rubber and wood panel grip. And that has on occasion drawn blood while shooting 158 gr magnums.